Do I HAVE to eat my veggis?

Yeah just speed read it. Not really relevant at all!

I’m talking about that n=1 outlier. That’s my whole point. When we make universal recommendations without mention of that n=1 who might die we are being irresponsible. Shortness of breath, regular diarrhea, these are signs that something serious might be happening.

You’re jumping on that one article. Let it go already. I said, fair enough. Look a the whole post please.

and the DM article. Pile of crap. Really? Two ridiculous articles.

(matt ) #45

Some people are allergic to the sun and some are allergic to water…you can find the extreme in any case. That does not mean that everyone will see these reactions. Same with keto, same with ZC. If it doesn’t work for you don’t do it.

You headed up your comment with links to two sensationalist articles. What the fuck else did you expect. I now can’t be arsed to read what you said with any focus because if that. If that is what you lead with and base the rest of what you say on then… not worth it.

The keto-acidosis comment about non-diabetic people is misinformed. People are being diagnosed as diabetic upon hospital admittance. You cannot exclude diabetics when assessing the risks as some people attempting extreme low-carb might be undiagnosed diabetics.

(matt ) #48

And don’t tell me to “let it go” when you have post a piece of shit, fear mongering article.

Fair enough. I have removed them. They hardly consitute anything important for the rest of my post. Also, why is there so much swearing at me in this thread? I thought we had guidelines about swearing? I realise I am confronting people but please don’t confuse confrontation with hostility.

(matt ) #50

Then suggest that people get tested for diabetes before they start keto or ZC. Stop fear-mongering.

I’m not fearing mongering. I’m calling the group up to a standard of behaviour.

I agree. As you see at the bottom of my post that is exactly what I am requesting. That people refrain from flippant recommendations.

I notice there are no comments about the authority-nutrition article on dogma in low-carb communities. Is that one okay then?

(matt ) #53

This is not a medical board…we are not doctors. Those are not the standards we need to live up to. I have been in the group for quite a while and if/when someone posts a dangerous suggestion or psuedo-medical advice it is very quickly addressed.

(matt ) #54

I doubt it but let me go look at it.

(matt ) #55

Yeah it’s not a very good article either.

For example this is trash. I don’t care what the word “sugar” implies. A sugar is a sugar. All carbs are turned into sugar.

1. All Carbohydrates Are Sugar

Glass Full Of Sugar Cubes

Saying that all carbs are broken down into “sugar” is true, but misleading.

Technically, the word “sugar” includes various simple sugars like glucose, fructose and galactose.

Yes, starches like grains and potatoes do get broken down into glucose in the digestive tract, which raises blood sugar levels.

To a diabetic, it is true that starches turn into “sugar” and raise the “sugars” in the blood.

But to other people, who are not chemists, the word “sugar” implies the white, unhealthy granular stuff… sucrose.

Telling people that “all carbs turn into sugar” is misleading. It makes people think that there is no difference between a potato and a candy bar.

Whereas table sugar contains half glucose, half fructose, starch is only glucose. It is the fructose portion of sugar that is the most harmful, starch (glucose) does NOT have the same effect (7, 8).

Trying to mislead people into believing that starches are equivalent to sugar/HFCS is dishonest.

Thanks for declaring your advance bias.

I disagree with this. I’ve seen many extreme recommendations, such as in this very thread. The question was “Do I have to eat my veggies?” Answers I saw were “No.” and “when you eat meat you are getting the benefit of the vegetables that the animal ate.”

These are comments I would like to see tempered a bit as they might make someone sick. It’s not fear-mongering. It’s a real possibility.

(matt ) #57

Even funnier is they demonize fructose in that comment and then defend fruits which are fructose in another comment.

(matt ) #58

Pete you didn’t post a single widescale scientific study…you posted 3 trash articles that are designed to generate traffic. So after seeing the first 2 I was totally OK assuming the 3rd was also junk. And it was.

I’m noticing a pattern here of you rejecting whole ideas when you find part you disagree with. That is a compositional fallacy. The article makes good points.

(matt ) #60

I’m just going to leave it at this. You seem to have an agenda and you also seem to only want to talk about things that are safe for everyone. I wish you the best of luck with that.