December 2018 ZORNFAST

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #61

NOICE

Always good to have company…

(KCKO, KCFO) #62

I will tag along on that one. Always nice to have the support.

We have a tradition of eating [spoiler]pizza[/spoiler] on Christmas Eve, this year, I’ll be making it ketoed. So breaking the day before is probably a good idea. I am trying to decide if I want to use [spoiler]Carl’s Fathead pizza crust or try a chicken and cheese[/spoiler] recipe that sounds really good.

Sounds good to me, but can’t say that will be the only Fast I’ll do before Christmas. :slight_smile:

perf timing ! :sparkling_heart:

You’re doing awesome!

Hi Brenda and fellow fasters. I’m going to join Brenda with 5 day fast but I’ll start with day 1 being tomorrow- Sunday. If I make it I’ll be breaking fast Thurs. dinner time. Wish me muscle! (Rather than luck).

I’ve done two 4-day extended fasts each of the past two weeks with solid results. Time to change it up: Starting at 8 pm Sunday (today) I will fast 36-40 hours then eat Tuesday noon till 8 pm; then fast 36-40 hours then eat Thursday noon till 8 pm; then fast 36-40 hours till midday Saturday. That will get me set for the big 3-day feed of Sunday through Tuesday.

It is after that time that will test me big time. I am hoping I’ll have the will power to launch into another 3- to 4-day fast to New Year’s weekend. Not as big of a food test but still tricky with leftover sweets, egg nog, hot chocolate, etc.

And then after Jan. 1 it is fat slaying time again.

It’s a plan. Now to follow it.

Keeping with accountability — since hitting milestone 200.0 lbs. Thursday, I’ve eaten well staying at less than 25 total carbs Thursday, less than a total of 42 carbs while eating out Friday night, then 28 total Saturday. I expect <25 total today. Protein was probably higher than it should be but I am fat-adapted and too much fat can be counterproductive.

Weight has risen only to 202.8 during refeed and I suspect 204 by Sunday. But not enough to offset the 7-8 pounds lost last week. Net fat losses of 2 pounds in a week of fasting is encouraging.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #69

Yes I’m ready. Tomorrow I start another five-day fast. I am feasting well and enjoying many different flavors of foods today because that’s what I miss more than anything. The flavors The Taste the comfort of food. The official Zorn fast starts on Thursday through Sunday. I’ll be fasting Monday through Friday this week.

Yep, I’m planning to start after tonight’s dinner as well. :slight_smile: … Happy Fasting

(Martha Kefgen) #71

This is my first Zorn Fast and first time on this forum. I’m 65 and do Crossfit 5 days a week. I drink a preworkout supplement that is 20 calories. Would I still be in a fasting state if I take it before each workout?

(Lonnie Hedley) #72

I’ll be starting Tuesday (12-18) after dinner. Goal as always is 90 hours. This would allow me to break at my normal eating window on Saturday. I prefer to “suffer” during the week and enjoy all of my weekend.

(Lonnie Hedley) #73

Depends on your goals. You’ll probably get all the fasting benefits if your goal is weight loss. However if your fasting goal is autophagy you may not get all the benefits.

Just to add to @hedleylo’s note above, if this is your first fast (you said it was your first ZornFast but have you done any multiple-day fasts before?), I would encourage you to do use what helps - some folks have broth during their first few fasts, others add cream to their coffee or tea - and then you can refine in subsequent fasts.

Have you been keto for a while? Many of us get awesome workouts when fasted, but that doesn’t generally happen until you’re fat adapted.

(Martha Kefgen) #75

I’m 18 months keto and have done an 18 hr IF fast 4 to 5 times a week. I’ve done a few 24 hour fasts. I’ve always used my pre workout drink. I guess I could be sure to take electrolytes if supplements would interfere with autophagy. I’ve lost a lot of weight and I’d like more of the flubber to go away.

Sounds like you’re in a great place to start a ZornFast!
My guess is that you don’t need the pre-workout drink. But - yes, please stay on top of electrolytes. They can make or break the whole experience.

this ^ put a huge smile on my face, and I love your picture! So awesome.

@Brenda inspired me to go for a TwoFer. I’m finishing my first 76 hours tomorrow at lunch with a friend for some [spoiler]“Q” at our favorite Smoke Shack,[/spoiler] and I’ll start the second fast after a day of Moderate Feasting.

Part Deux may go a bit longer.

And why not?!?

Fasting is very much like a skill that derives benefits from repeated practice. Will see how I like this protocol on the other side.

I hit a tough patch around 11:00 this morning and about tapped out. By the time I’d suffered a couple of hours with the wobbles, and mild nausea, I noticed the familiar SuperMan Feeling was returning. Sometimes trying to “Push Through” doesn’t go that well, but I can’t seem to figure out why.

No matter, I just quit when that happens, and anticipate the next fast.

In at 29 hrs. and feeling fine - But this darn cold is still hanging around a bit, keeping my head stuffed up. :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #79

20 calories is a very small amount and normally isn’t considered breaking the fast. Depending on what the supplement is you may interfere with your own body producing ketones and/or if it contains protein you would interrupt autophagy. Other than that a 20 calorie supplement once a day would not be considered breaking a fast, no.

I broke my third E.F. for this month at lunch today as planned.

I did okay. It was about 76 hours…just a little over 3 days…and then I started the next one about 4 hours later. That one, my ‘official’ ZornFast for December might go as many as 5 days. That is my plan, anyways.

We are priviledged to have some pretty experienced KETO’ers, and practicing students of Low Carb in general. And fasting.

When they talk … I listen.

And yes, I’m including Madame Zorn on that list.

A man I have known for years (but haven’t seen in about 4…) came in my shop today, and he scarcely recognized me. He probably clocks in around 400#, and of course KETO came up in our conversation.

It happens a lot, and I always want to point them in the direction of this place, The Dudes, Brenda…Jason Fung…and others.

Like in the movie, “The Sixth Sense” when the kid announces “I See Dead People”…in the script, I think about my recent experience.

Because, “I see FAT People”. And I KNOW how BADDD they feel! Embarrassed, uncomfortable in their clothes, lacking in confidence… all of it. Hopeless, helpless, breathless even, and short of energy.

(Ask me how I know) :worried:

Aaaaaand…I just want to help.

Soooo many voices out there now. And thanks to Brenda especially…for investing so much time here. We all are the benefactors.