DECEMBER 2018 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #121

Particularly love this one XD Thanks so much! :heart::sunflower:

(Jane) #122

36 hours here - easy fast this time (not all are) but I have a bit of a cold and feeling under the weather so didn’t really want to eat anyway.

Have a coupld of online meetings from my hotel then I will go to the local diner where they have a really good [spoiler]feta cheese omelet[/spoiler] and also have some [spoiler]bacon[/spoiler] to break my fast. I know some people have trouble breaking with these foods but this is such a short fast I am not worried - plus broke a 96-hour fast with this before and was ok.

BG: 81
BK: 3.8
GKI: 1.18

p.s. Interesting to see the dawn phenomenon I’ve read so much about. My blood glucose was 67 when I went to bed and have had nothing but water and black coffee.

Yup. @Hardrock_keto_chick , just keep at it.

For sure, INSPIRE him with your actions first and foremost, and then when the opportunity arrives, hopefully he’ll be ready to hear your words!

I’m half the man I used to be, having lost 165 pounds from my all time high, and my daughter is VERY much the impetus in me starting my journey. She’s a hard-core KETO/Paleo adherent, and we help each other as accountability partners. She does E.F. style fasts too, but not as much as I do.

Hi everyone!

Checking in because I’m afraid I won’t stick with it: day one of my monthly EF (3-5 days, breaking at 5 day or before if I’m not feeling good). Fasting is super easy for me but I just miss eating and can easily talk myself into breaking it :frowning:

At 13 hours now.

I’ve had a Ketomojo for a while but just finally pulled it out this morning. It showed ketones of 1.3, which surprised me because I definitely went over my carbs yesterday (also had a late and large dinner). But this is my first time ever testing ketones in any way, so I’m excited to finally track them, and I’m curious whether I get my GKI close to 1 at some point in this fast.

This is the case for a lot of us. If you have excess fat to lose & are indeed fat adapted, Fasting can sometimes be a lot easier, than say for someone who’s closer to their maintenance weight. But there are exceptions to this, and Fasting does come a lot harder for some folks regardless, even if they do have more to lose still.

But yes, I too simply start missing the eating of a nice meal. So I just usually break when I feel the need, and also don’t like setting a proposed time-frame for a Fast as well. - I think this helps eliminate getting anxious that you’re coming up on that set stop time. - But so far, I have yet to have to break a fast from simply being hungry, so think I’ve been fortunate in that respect. So it does become more of a mental thing than anything else. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Dave! I don’t have a lot of extra fat but somehow I just haven’t had much trouble fasting even with intense exercise. The last time I went for a longer one (I tried for 7 days instead of my usual 3-5) I was surprised to find a new kind of hunger kicked in around day 5 and a half: not little hunger pangs that I’m used to and that disappear quickly, but persistent hunger that lasted for several hours before I finally called it. That was interesting!

I do need to plan out my goal time - at least for now - because I’m pretty sure that I could find a way to “feel the need to break” way before I actually need to :slight_smile:

Also - I should say - I alternate with water/salt only days and [spoiler]BPC[/spoiler] days, so some of the usual guidelines probably don’t apply. I’m working toward water-only for all of the monthly EF but doing so gradually.

That’s completely understandable and I can see your point as well. :slight_smile: I just mentioned it, because some have mentioned that the closer they got to the ‘Finish-Line’ the harder it would get for them.

But even myself, I simply use a Fasting app called ‘myfast’, and by default, I keep it set to (5 days or 120 hrs) so when I click the start fast, this is always the setting. But I don’t hold myself to going 5 days each time. I will just stop whenever, (3 days, 4 days, etc.) and for me, this works out good. (I actually set a self proposed limit of 5 day on myself, even before I started Fasting) There is no reasoning behind this really, just didn’t think I would ever need to Fast for any longer than that. And again, you do start missing eating, so don’t want to deprive myself of that. :slight_smile:

(Heather) #128

36 hours in and chugging away. Day 2 seems to be the most difficult for me. I usually drink some broth, but that actually seems to make me hungrier. I think I’ll stick to water and salt this time.

(Jane) #129

Broke my fast at 38 hours.

KCFO fasters!!!

(Bob M) #130

I started out a while ago drinking broth, but like you I found it made me hungrier. And sometimes would have other effects, such as burping it up. So, now I use salt, water, black coffee, tea, herbal teas, magnesium oil, and if necessary potassium and/or more magnesium. Usually I don’t have to take the last two, though.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #131

6h in. My last meal feels like a Boulder in my gut and I am happy to fast through the night and tomorrow…

(Brennan) #132

I’m hungry so I’ma call it quits at 89 hours.

Also my BG is the lowest it’s ever been 3.6 mmol/L (64.8 mg/dl) I know because I’ve never seen that little red down arrow on my glucometer before.

BG 3.6, BK 5.2, GKI 0.7

(KCKO, KCFO) #133

Had to share this one:

(Jane) #134

Excellent fasting numbers!!! And good on the 89 hours.
:+1:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #135

Getting to 18h soon. Bit of a headache, fine otherwise. Will fast through the day and probably break tomorrow somewhere around 44 - 48h…

Hey folks, checking in at 36 hours. At this point I always feel like I’ve been fasting FOREVER but I’m not even halfway to what I’m hoping to do. But I’m feeling fine and slept well last night. That’s always my biggest challenge when fasting so I’m hoping that continues!

I’m finally, after years of in and out of LC, testing my ketones (KetoMojo meter) and they’re very low: 0.2 after a day and half of fasting.

I know I shouldn’t chase ketones, and that anything over zero does mean ketosis, but one of the reasons I want to build my fasting practice is to get several days/month of a good GKI (and then twice a year 5- 7 days with a GKI at or below 1).

Any thoughts from those of you who test?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #137

26h. not hungry but feeling rather cold.
mood is in the gutter, but it’s my own fault, stupid carb withdrawal…

ah, shoot… How are you feeling now?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #139

Better, thanks :hugs:
31h body pump went fine.
Going out with friends (only fizzy water for me)

A tad hungry, but it had been worse, I can get through it… :metal::muscle:
How are you?

I’m fine! A bit hungrier than usual but feeling good. I usually work out harder on the first few days of a fast and I’m realizing that it probably helps pave the way- kicks me into higher metabolic gear, maybe? I won’t have much time for workouts this EF so I’ll just muddle through the hunger.
Great that you had a class, and have fun going out!