DECEMBER 2018 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Jane) #141

I just got my Keto Mojo so a noob at testing. I got good ketone and GKI results with just 36 hours of fasting but I think everyone is different. I just may produce more ketones than I need and your body is more efficient.

I keep reading about the Ketostix being worthless after you are fat-adapted and they won’t register any ketones. Well, I am definitely fat-adapted as I have run on ketones over a year now and for shits and giggles I grabbed a pee stick this afternoon and it was medium to dark purple. My n=1. I didn’t check my blood ketones to compare since I am saving those gold-plated test strips for when I am fasting!!

Thank you, Janie! I’ll test again tomorrow and will post an update.

(Susan) #143

Broke my fast at 92 hours. Not looking forward to cooking and cleanup. I keep getting used to a spotless kitchen with no effort.

You guys!!! I’m so excited! Yesterday morning was my second time ever testing ketones. At 36 hours fasted my GKI was really disappointing. In fact my ketones were so low (0.2) that I didn’t even bother calculating.

But now I’m at 67 hours and I just tested again:
3.3 glucose
4.3 ketones

GKI .77 :grin:

yay! it’s working.

I’ve often told newbies not to chase ketones but - wow, I can see the appeal of testing because it’s so nice to see these numbers. Those strips are pricey, though, and I’ll probably save testing just for fasting days.

I feel terrific right now - clearheaded, lots of energy. It’s maybe the best I’ve ever felt on a fast. Work event tonight and I’m hoping no inopportune stomach growls. I will bring sparkling water and cross my fingers.

92 is a nice number! Congrats. I’m hoping for 90 on my current fast.
I know what you mean about the kitchen…

Checking in again, and now at 85 hours. I feel fine but my sleep was lousy. That’s often a problem for me on EFs, though this could have been due to a late work night (until 11pm, bright lights, stress…).
At this point I think I’m going to keep going and see how I feel today. It’s another busy work day so I’m hoping that my focus holds up. Yesterday afternoon I felt amazing, but last night I was a bit dopey - felt kind of disconnected and slow.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #147

9h into what I hope will be a 72+ fast.

I really overdid the ‘refeeding’ this weekend and my body is actually begging to fast…

Started fasting after dinner last night. So just 9 hrs. in so far…

I’m at 106 hours and feeling ok but my sleep has been pretty lousy for the last two nights. I got a solid 4 hours last night, was in and out of sleep for about an hour, then gave up and just tried to start by day. This is the most difficult aspect of fasting for me. I hear from some folks that they sleep beautifully on a fast and I would love that!!
I definitely need less sleep when I’m fasting, but I don’t wake up feeling refreshed and rested, and what wakes me is a heart-pounding, adrenaline-y, unsettled feeling.
In any case, I work late tonight, so if I can push through today then I’m probably good for another day. Will try much more salt today and before bed to see if that helps.
@Claudia and @Dave, glad you two are fasting as well!

My sleep hasn’t been much better myself, but this is mainly due to my Male Pup, Kito. For some reason, the past week or so, he’s been extremely restless, waking me up all hours of the night? Keeps wanting to go out, so think something is bothering him? … This morning it was just before 2am, and he kept me up until nearly 4am. So I got just over 3 hours, but think I may have gotten another hour in before getting up at 5am.

So somewhat tired presently, but should be fine. :slight_smile: … Think I got 5 hours Saturday night for the same.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #151

I know that feeling too well… Mainly what often stops me fasting before I intend to…

It’s frustrating, right? I decided to call it right now because I can’t have another night like that and manage work tomorrow.
I’m at 112 hours, so it’s a decent fast, and I’m happy with the length. It’s just annoying because I could have gone longer except for the sleeping: hunger pangs were brief and manageable, I had decent energy, and basically I felt somewhere between fine and great the whole time (except for the last two nights).

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #153

It would be okay if I would be working around people with brains.
I have never been too patient, and when I am sleep deprived and all giddy to move with too much energy, but stuck behind my desk and the same person asks me the same thing for the hundredth time…
:expressionless: :exploding_head:

:rofl:

(Jane) #155

Going to do another 36-hr fast with my husband starting to tomorrow night after dinner so will be joining you guys here.

I’m going to test my husband’s glucose and ketones in addition to my own while we fast.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #156

25h in. Did a zumba and a body pump class. First time I ever did two classes in a row and It felt so good…
If that didn’t burn trough all the glucose I don’t know what would.
Just had my magnesium and heading straight to bed.

(Kristin) #157

Well, I was planning to fast today through a feast on my birthday on Thursday. And, it would have been a good time to do it, because my appetite is down from a sinus infection. I feel really crappy, and my voice is going in and out.

But, I went to the doctor today and got put on an antibiotic for 10 days and predisone for 5 days. The steroid absolutely tears my stomach up if I don’t eat with it.

So, I’m going to do a little variation of the 5-2 plan. But, I’m going to make it 3 days of 500 kcal (mostly from fat) then 2 feasting days. That’s 5 days and done with the steroid pills and then can do a real fast afterwards. Gonna be interesting.

I don’t sleep as well either during a fast, but I honestly feel I don’t need quite as much sleep.

I’ll start a re-feed at lunch tomorrow, rounding the corner of about 76 hours. That’s enough for this time, since I’m inspired by @Brenda to try a back to back Extended Fasting Experiment. She decided to try out a 5-1-5… and…okay. What the heck. If she can do that, I can do two 3-days back to back.

I’ll start my second one Thursday.

I’ve done many fasts of that length, but NEVER 2 in a row. I did however, do 11 days on water once, but I still had about a hunnert or so extra pounds of fat stored at the time.

NOT SO NOW. My DEXA this past June said I have ~33 pounds stored now.

Happy Fasting Everyone!

Actually just over 29 hrs. myself, and pretty much feeling fine. - Except I too have had head congestion for a few days, and possible Sinus Infection. (Easy to do with all this crappy weather we’ve been having) - Can usually tell by the nasty taste that likes to hang around. … But will see how tomorrow fairs. :slight_smile:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #160

Just make sure to put your health first :heart: Get well soon :sunflower::sunflower: