Dave's Progress Thread - Year II

Oh, and I forgot to post an image of the drawing table I purchased. I actually purchase one I thought I might like, but after doing a little drawing to try it out, decided it wasn’t what I really wanted, or just didn’t have the feel I was hoping for. … So I just gave it to the Wife to use with her crafts, and I then ordered another one that I had looked at. And this one seems to feel a lot better, and I’m really enjoying it. :+1: Now if I can just get all this stuff done, maybe I can spend some more time with it. :slight_smile:

Here was first one…

Here’s the second one…

It has the old vintage design style and able to stand it up straight, so it is in some of the images I posted above, but it’s up against the wall, out of the way. Another thing I like about it. Easy to adjust and move it around if desired, where the first one just stays as a table when not inclined for drawing or painting.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1405

I can see why you got the first one. Having a flat surface available and places for tools so they don’t roll away is handy. But that second one… gorgeous! And a caddy takes care of the other problems anyway. Good choice.

Yes Ma’am, I was thinking the very same when I purchased it. Having the caddy on the right is nice, and just to hold my sketching pencils, gum erasers, etc. alone was one of the things I liked. And when the table is tilted, it all still stays in place. Plus the available storage I thought would be nice. Though the additional surface that also pulls out wasn’t something I would use much, I think it will serve the Wife better with her crafts. … But in the end, the new one has a larger surface area, is all wood and just works quite well as is. I just keep my stuff nearby on one of my tables, so it works well this way too.

I have thought about customizing it to at least hold all my pencils, but not sure I really want to drill any holes it in. :smile: Though I know I could do it where it wouldn’t look bad and there is plenty of space to do so, I still don’t mind using the side table, and lately been keeping my sketching pencils in a pouch.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1407

A side table works fine. Maybe a padded hook over the top edge to hang a small pencil case.

Yeah, I think the round table I have works well for this too. But have to say, it is convenient to have stuff in hands reach for quick switching and not breaking work flow. - I do keep a couple on the pencil stop at the bottom for this, so it’s not a real big deal. … They also sell a piece that looks a lot like the one on the first table, that mounts along the one side. But when I read one review, the lady has the very same table I have and mentioned that her husband had to plane off an additional 1/4 of an inch to get to fit properly. Even though it stated it would fit a certain thickness, they measured, but it was smaller than advertised. This I would never do regardless! Plus, it didn’t look as good with a black piece on one side in the end.

I also have another small table that I got when my Grandmother passed, and that usually sits on the other side of me, so there’s plenty of room for stuff.

(Doug) #1409

Dave, gotta love that sanding dry wall, eh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers, man - you’re putting in serious work.

No Sir, absolutely not! :smile: I actually despise sanding drywall. I actually don’t mind hanging or even mudding, but that damn sanding is such a freakin’ mess! Wouldn’t be as bad if I didn’t have a bunch of stuff in the basement. That damn dust finds every little nook and cranny and it’s such a pain to clean up afterwards. If the basement was entirely empty I would just do all of it at once and then do one major cleanup, but I have to keep moving crap here and there to work on sections as it is. … But I’ve hung 40 to 50 sheets since I bought this place. Gutted and rehung the entire living room, one bathroom (one to go) and the basement was 30+ in itself. But after the second bathroom, I think I’m done. :pleading_face:

Actually took the day off today… which basically means I plan to be working my ass off at the house! :slight_smile: - I really want to get this section done, so I can set at least one side of the basement up. And then work on clearing the other half. - Can alway mask off the one side when I get to work on the other. Plus, we do have quite a bit of stuff to still go through and do something with. And planning on walling in around some piping, Washer/Dryer, add not sure yet, but may add a restroom as well? Not sure on a half bath, or adding a shower? But drywall requirements will be limited being mostly doors.

Well today marks 3 yrs. Keto for me. Presently fasting & just passing 60 hrs. and will probably break tonight? If so will be sometime after 70 hrs. - (But I’m still not sure?) But did drop a 2-1/2" Top Sirloin in the Sous Vide last night, in case I decide to. If not, will just let it ride for a while, or sear and fridge it.

Can’t really give any real update, since I’m still working in the basement, and I haven’t really been able to keep good records of weigh-ins, since I’ve had to move the scale and it seems to give me all sorts of results depending on where it’s put. (I hate moving it, but had to) Once the basement is done, will find a permanent place for it and keep it there. But don’t think its changed much in the past weeks though.

Worked in the Garden for a couple hours after work yesterday, and though I’ve had a few plants die off since planting, overall it isn’t many. Think maybe 4 or 5? - But V has some seedlings in and hopefully they will be sprouting soon, so I can replace those and plant the rest. Might have her do a second batch in a few weeks, to keep things going. Mainly Zucchini, since we have enough tomatoes, Cucumbers and Squash already, and eat more Zucchini than anything else.

(Virginia ) #1412

:balloon::tada:Happy 3rd Ketoversary!!! :tada::balloon: Honey, I am so proud of you and the great job you have done over the pass three years and know you will continue to do great. Love you.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes::kissing_heart:

Thanks, Hun. Love ya too…

(Virginia ) #1414

You’re welcome. :kissing_heart: Have another good Keto year.

(Susan) #1415

Happy Ketoversary Dave!

Thanks, Susan.

Well, the Garden is starting to really kick off. … The plants are still quite young, but already producing some nice product. Found a very large Yellow Squash hiding in the back the other day, and the plant wasn’t big at all. Tonight, the Wife told me she saw some little Furry Bastards running around inside the fence, so I went out to look and sure enough, some little bunnies were in there having a blast. :angry: (I had actually forgot to put chicken wire on the side where I put the gates on) But that will be addressed tomorrow though. Those little critters like to snip lines, killing all the fruit on them.

Though while out there, took some pics and then picked a couple more Squash (just the larger ones) but there’s a bunch more showing up, as well as Zucchini. And one nice Zucchini was also hiding. But the plants are looking very good, and the bare area in the front was left purposely to plant the seedlings we have on the porch. Should be in the next week or two. Trying to let them get some size to them first.

IMG_9241

IMG_9247

IMG_9244

IMG_9237

It’s funny how a few of the Yellow Squash plants actually didn’t start growing as fast as some the rest, maybe being somewhat shocked when planted? But it works, so I’m not overrun just yet. Sort of like I’m doing with the Zucchini plants. Which I actually prefer out of the two. Zucchini Boats will be sailing soon.

Mentioned this in the ‘What did you Keto today thread’, but just adding it in here for a quick update, the Garden has been producing quite a bit in the past couple weeks. Been trying to get out there and pick every couple/few days, and providing a nice amount of stuff. Mostly the Zucchini, which I only have 1-1/2 dozen plants presently planted, but all is starting to come quite quickly. But that can also cause a quick burn-out as well. But I have some more plants I’m about to drop in, maybe some today…

The Wife has spent the last week or so, running :running_man: stuff to the neighbors, and I was finally able to take some to my office this morning, since I was off for a long weekend.

Went to cut grass, but saw there was a good amount of stuff needing pulling…

Couple days later, more. And though I’ve been trying to catch them from getting too big, they seem to be growing overnight. And some just hide in all the large leafy vegetation. The Zucchini plants are huge…

Few days later, more. And I do lay it all out each time and give a good washing off…

First batch I brought into the office. Filled 3 bags, but can’t carry in but so much at a time.

(Bob M) #1419

Nice! Saw this last night on Good Eats:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/zucchini-ribbon-salad-recipe-1922455

Looks good.

Thanks, I’ll have to check it out. We do have a device for doing ribbons and such, but don’t think we’ve used it but a couple times now? But as fast as it’s coming in, I’m also not trying to over-eat it, since it is a bit carby, or 1 carb per ounce, so it’s easy to over-do-it and go over the 20g a day I try to stay at. :+1:

Was able to get some more goodies out of the Garden yesterday & washed up before the heavy storm hit. (Just as it started actually)… But with all the torrent of rain we received, it will make access off-limits for a couple days. Plus, damn Squash Bugs took out 4-5 plants so will be going after them here shortly.

IMG_9445

Well, we continue to pull tables full of produce every couple/few days and the Wife’s been posting those mostly on FB. And along with the Wife delivering stuff constantly to all the neighbors, and me bringing in what I can carry at work, we’re keeping the abundance from getting too crazy at the house. - Here’s the second load I brought to work a couple days ago… I tell folks I try to pull stuff before it gets too big (which I don’t mind myself, mostly the Zucchini since it doesn’t get hard like the Yellow Squash) but it grows so fast and overnight, it’s hard to catch them when still somewhat small.

Produce%20Pic

I went back and re-did the chicken wire this year, and put it on the inside, since a neighbor accidentally hooked and pulled some off when he was cutting near my fence. So this has helped keep the vegetable fur balls from getting in there, but unfortunately, I have to deal with some Squash bugs that are taking out some of my plants. :angry: But it’s been rough being able to get out as much as I would like. Between the bad storms, heat, work, etc. (Not to mention not having any hot water! And it’s been this way since last Sunday evening. So I don’t look forward to the :cold_face: showers, like last night after cutting grass. But I’m hoping to get the boiler fixed as soon as possible. … If I thought the Rabbits would take care of the bugs, like chickens, etc. I would surely let them back in! I still see them everywhere, so I’m guessing they are waiting for another break in the fence to open back up the salad bar. - This morning I counted 11 just in the front area of my house, and less than 5 minutes while sitting the vehicle waiting on my Son. These 4 ran out of my front yard, and down near the neighbors driveway, and the others were on the sides and behind me. … I should really look into some Keto Rabbit recipes. :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: :rabbit: :smile:

Rabbits

But like it or not, I’m planning on getting out there today and seeing what I can do with the plants that died off, plus I have a couple trays of seedlings to still plant. There’s a chance of more storms Saturday, so I could get rained out again. Just hoping there isn’t too many Squash bugs to deal with. I’ve only seen one over the past couple weeks, while picking stuff. But they are not always easy to find either.

(Bob M) #1423

We don’t have bunnies near our house. Too many predators, I think. (One reason we don’t have chickens, as we have the space.)

That Alton Brown recipe was great. I would cut the ribbons smaller (slice them, then cut in half or 1/3). I could not find the frisee (spelling?), but we used parts of a Spring mix to add crunch. I’d also add a bit more nuts to add more crunch.

Neither my wife nor I got stomach issues after this. We stopped using spiralized zucchini because of stomach issues. Maybe the salt “bath” plus waiting 30 minutes gets rid of something?

I can see not wanting to go over 20 grams per day. I have a slightly looser requirement in the summer. I even ate some strawberries we picked. I figure I didn’t get heavy eating in-season fruits or vegetables, so some periodically wouldn’t be bad. And there’s some evidence that periodic carb ups help with leptin, though really eating part of a salad probably is not a lot of carbs.

Anyway, I’ve always wanted to try rabbit. The local store has it in stock all the time, but I’ve never tried it. Will have to give it a go one of these days.