Dave's Progress Thread - Year II

(Susan) #1083

That is great, Dave =). I have read elsewhere on this forum that people have found their eyesight has improved with Keto. Mine is getting worse, but I don’t think this has anything to do with Keto, I think it is just me being 55 and I still am wearing just the ones I buy from Costco in a 3 pack. I was buying the Dollarama ones, but my friend told me the ones from Costco are a bit more money but far better for your eyes, so I switched.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1084

It sounds to me like your eye disfunction is a result of trying to adapt to years of computer screen gazing and your recent time away from them has given your eyes time to revert back a bit. I don’t think our eyes are meant to do that kind of staring at a screen much of our days. Focal points need to be changing all the time or eye distortion seems inevitable. I think once you start shifting focus more often your eye relaxes and can respond to different focal points faster and more efficiently. I have noticed some little improvements in clarity with my distance vision spending less time on the screen, but my close up reading vision is still messed up without some magnification. I heard an interesting pod cast by Ivor Cummins with a guy about myopia and how using glasses further damages and re-enforces further distortion of the eyes. It was pretty interesting. The link was on the forum but I don’t have it for reference. :cowboy_hat_face:

@Momof5 - Yeah, I’ve heard mention of this on these forums as well in my time here, so there’s always that. :slight_smile: But since this seems to be affecting one eye over the other, I still think there may be other factors that might be coming into play? Again, just a guess, but I will be looking into this more. Thanks

@David_Stilley Yeah, it could have something to do with what you say, but I really don’t know? … For years now, I’ve noticed when I can be away from the computer for a few days, such as being on sites, engineering in the field, not working, etc. I notice I can go home and watch TV with no issues. But if I’m on the computer as I usually am, I will sometimes need to wear my computer glasses just to see the TV properly or should I say, clearer. So yeah, this is not new. - But what I’m seeing now (No pun intended) is that my distance viewing seems to be better without any assistance, but only in my Right Eye. The Left eye seems to do better still with the slight magnification that is in those lenses. But now, I’m getting clear and blurry vision respectively when I wear them. So if anything, a prescription change might be needed to adjust this, but the WHY this is happening has me more intrigued.

I do know that over the years my shooting of mostly bows, but also guns, does call for one to train themselves to focus on the down-field target itself, using basically your peripheral vision to line things up that’s near the eye. It was also brought up/mentioned that this alone could have been part of the reason my Eyes were so good? Now this was something we discussed during our conversations, but I can’t say any data was provided to back this up. (But this very same information was also provided by another, who didn’t know about my previous conversation, so it does have me thinking a bit about whether this is something that could be helping? - So much so, I actually spoke with my Wife earlier today about trying something, which I’ll report back on later if I end up trying something out.

This I’ve not only heard myself, but thought the very same before ever hearing it… From dealing with my own vision, as well as speaking with others over the years, the general consensus is basically the more you wear glasses, the more you need them. I know some that purposely did not wear theirs for this same reason. And yes, there are times I’ve used this same philosophy myself. :slight_smile: Because it really works for me, as I’ve mentioned above about watching TV in the evenings.

I’ll definitely follow up more after Wednesday’s appointment though. :slight_smile: Thanks again folks

Week 76: Shows a -2.5 lb. for this week, so that’s good. But since I’ve done the same I’ve pretty much been doing for many weeks, I can’t say what helps in making those silly numbers go up or down? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Who knows… or cares. :smile: Might not ever understand it…

(Bunny) #1087

Looking at those weight plots, looks like changes in body composition?

I can see it’s bouncing around right in a certain area?

One possibility is that your not eating enough carbohydrates along with increasing fat intake and you could be losing (catabolizing?) lean skeletal muscle tissue which is inhibiting your ability to oxidize glucose? (any little carb you eat then wants to be stored in adipose tissue as a lipid droplets)

Another possibility is that you are seeing an increase in lean skeletal muscle tissue and not eating enough to sustain it so you are losing it with fasting to often and caloric restriction?

The more lean skeletal muscle tissue you have the easier it is to oxidize carbohydrates?

Hmmm?

(Bob M) #1088

This is why Phinney is no longer that relevant. This has been completely upended by others. See this for instance:

(Bunny) #1089

I disagree with that because if your not pumping iron like Shawn Baker and April, you will be on the outskirts of the twilight zone?

Phinney is very relevant, the Virta folks have too much data on real people to dispute your “…no longer relevant hypothesis…period!

Thanks for the information… I do indeed understand that you can still be changing, even though the scale doesn’t move much, or in the opposite direction. As for eating enough, I’m betting that I probably do get enough. I’m usually under 20 carbs a day, but I’m sure there’s days I might even go over some. But shouldn’t be by too much. (My plates usually prove this, since when I eat, I definitely eat. … But I also understand about having the same weight and still changing too, as your information above shows. I also believe that comes with more activity, working out, etc. Can’t say this isn’t true of myself either, since I have been a lot more active since I’ve gotten back into Hunting here recently. And where I am hunting at, surely is a workout, just getting in and out of the area. Not to mentioned climbing into and out of a tree a couple times a day. (And this doesn’t include the work it takes getting a harvested Deer out of that crazy area.) Let’s just say there’s nothing flat about this area, mostly steep hills and ravines.

:slight_smile: Thanks again… :+1:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1091

Have you see Dave’s meals in the “What do you KETO today?” threads? :joy::joy::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

That’s why I said I doubt I ever have to worry about not eating enough. :slight_smile: If anything, the size of meals may play a bigger role with the weight bouncing itself? I do tend to eat over-sized meals most times. :slight_smile:

I have noticed that after some more physically active or heavy activity days, I feel a bit swollen sometimes and carry a “heavier” sensation if that makes any sense - I have seen my weight do some crazy fluctuations when I feel that way. If I stop heavy activity for 1-2 days then it seems to drop away and I feel slimmer (until I work out again lol).

Yep, this is true for me as well. For instance, when I first got permission for the property near me, (All Deep Ravines) I walked it almost every day to get to know it, and I could definitely feel like I had some retention going on. Which is similar when I do some heavy work. So yes, I agree and understand this can happen as well. And I’m the same as well when I do sit back and relax for a couple days. So very similar indeed. … I just figured it was inflammation, and by all signs, it does appear to be.

On another note, the Wife and I just got back from speaking with a very nice couple who own a large farm across the road from where we live. … While I was hunting tonight, the Wife went over and spoke with them about giving us permission to hunt, and they said that would be fine. So she wanted me to meet them after we ate. So we now have another place to hunt (Mostly me, since V doesn’t hunt much) but it’s much bigger, being around 130 acres in total. :slight_smile: … (Happy :deer: Hunter I am. :wink:)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1096

This is awesome. I’m sure you will update us on the hunt and your success and failures. All good. Out in nature is good for the soul.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #1097

So if you use their land to hunt do you offer them some of your spoils as payment? Speaking as someone who doesn’t hunt, I’m very thankful when I receive venison!

Yes Sir, it is awesome indeed. On both counts… :slight_smile: :+1:

Yes Ma’am, we always do indeed. Actually it was one of the first things V asked them, right after they said they would grant permission. But they kindly declined saying they don’t eat Venison, but that they really appreciated the offer. … Funny thing is, I’ve always offered this to any who have allowed me to hunt their property, feeling this is at least something I could offer back. But it seems like none ever take me up on the offer? - My guess is that if they did enjoy eating Venison, that they would probably already be hunting their property themselves. :slight_smile: But would be more than happy to provide them some.

I used to hunt with a couple guys some years back, and always split my Deer harvest with them each season. (I usually took more Deer then them and we hunted a lot) - Not to mention, I’ve always taken quite a bit in to friends and colleagues at work. … But I’ve actually been hunting alone for many years now, since V doesn’t get out with me much. Just a couple times here and there. … But if I do end up taking quite a few, there is always the HFHF here in Maryland (Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry) It’s a nice program that helps out those who are less fortunate, and It shows that they have donated over 600 tons of Venison since they started back in 1997. (I believe most states have their own version of programs like this, and some like to hunt, but just donate the meat to those in need.)

https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/fhfh.aspx

(Susan) #1099

Maybe you could make them some of your delicious Cheesecakes as a thank you instead =).

Funny you say that, Susan… V, actually suggested the very same last night as soon as we got home. :slight_smile::+1: So that’s what we have planned to do for them for Thanksgiving that’s coming up. :slight_smile:

She also plans on giving them a Yankee Candle and Thank You card tonight, when we stop past there after work to have him sign the permission slips I drafted up today. … She really enjoyed speaking with them last night and they are just extremely nice folks indeed. And from speaking with them, they also know some of the same people that we know, who are also good folks. So it looks like a Win/Win. :slight_smile:

(Susan) #1101

Oh great, that is awesome =).

Well, took off a couple hours early today so we could take my Male pup, Kito to the Vet to be checked out, since he seemed to be loosing even more weight. - After a few hours there and running some test, we ended up getting some pretty shitty news. … He had his yearly check up back in July, where he had actually lost 9 lbs. from the previous year. And this year V has really stayed on top of brushing out all the dogs during the day, to try and keep the shedding down. So he already looked smaller with less fur, but he still seemed to be getting smaller in general, and some of this appeared to be muscle mass loss. Mostly noticeable in the hips/hind-leg area … As of tonight, he had lost an additional 5 lbs. since July…

Turns out that he isn’t doing that well at all, but that he actually has Kidney Failure. And this is why he’s been loosing weight. - There is no cure for this, so now we can only try to maintain him with a new Diet, Liquids, etc. and hope for the best. So I can’t say at this point how this will all play out? They say some dogs do well when changed over to a low-protein, high Fat diet, but that’s not to say he won’t continue getting worse? Only time will tell, and we can only do everything we can for him in the meantime. So for the next 5 days or so, we will be taking him back up to the Vet, where they will be injecting a liter of fluids under his skin, as they did tonight. This is because his levels were quite high, and they need to try and get these numbers down. But in the meantime, we have already started setting up the new diet with the can foods they supplied and the recipe they gave us that is used to address Kidney care for Dogs.

He’s never minded going to the Vet, actually even seemed to enjoy the trips since he was a pup. (Plus everyone there has always been nuts about him, (as well as his sisters, but they really love this guy) so he probably loves the attention as well) But tonight was a bit long for him in that small room, and you can tell he wanted to get out of there. - Besides jumping up and laying with me in a chair, he does at times jump up on me while standing, but not often. But did so quite a few times tonight. Then he would lay down facing the door, waiting for us to head back home. He’s resting well presently…