Dave's Progress Thread - Year II

Thank you, Ellen. :slight_smile: … But yeah, I love bow hunting. I mean, I don’t mind pulling out the guns from time to time, which is mostly my Thompson Center Black Powder. Which is a good way to put meat in the freezer & cull the herd. But I much prefer my bow and find it more ethical and enjoyable to me. There’s just something about it that makes it feel more natural, can’t really explain it. :slight_smile: (I’m pretty much 95% Bow, and 5% Gun) Plus I usually just try to take V out during Gun season since she isn’t able to use her bow much with her previous injuries. (But think she’s going to try shooting again soon)

I had a real nice 60 lb. recurve back when I was a teenager, but like a dummy, I sold it. (Can’t even recall where I got it?) But I have thought about picking one up again. Love to see yours, btw. I know there’s some really cool horse bows out there, and I believe Mongolian Bows have some of the best.

Actually, my Son bought me a brand new bow for Christmas… um, two Christmases ago. :flushed: … But I never even set it up, since I didn’t have any property to hunt. But I’m setting it up now, and can’t wait to sight her in. Simply using my Hoyt AlphaMax for now, since it’s been set up and my main bow for years.

Here’s a pic of the Bowtech 360 my son bought for me…

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1064

Wow this is so beyond my experience or reality. I have nothing against hunting. I just have only done it once and that was with a talker in college. He scared all the deer away.

I used to fish saltwater. But I’m a few hours away from the beach.

Yeah, taking a chatter-box out with ya usually isn’t a good thing for Deer Hunting with a Bow. Gun you can get away with it a little more, since you don’t have to get so close and some shoot at a distance. But it is quite enjoyable and peaceful. We also love to Fish, and haven’t been doing much of that lately either. Will definitely be getting out to do some next season though. (V really loves to Fish too, but we mostly Bass Fish around ponds, though I don’t have anything against shoreline Fishing.)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1066

I grew up in Winter Park Fla and the bass fishing and cracker fishing was outstanding. Alligators and snakes were everywhere.

(Ellen) #1067

Once I have my stuff back I’ll get a pic for you, now am back in Blighty am hoping to do an archery course rather having it as a pretty ornament.

Week 72: Well, I’ve been busy getting some hunting in, so meals have been only here and there and pretty much been OMAD, with one day as TMAD. But weight this morning showed the same, so loss or gain. But I have been much more active walking through the woods, climbing trees, etc. So between this and forcing myself to get enough shooting in (Bow) I’ve been a little sore here and there mostly my shoulder and lower back. So I have taken some Advil for the past few weeks. More then I’ve taken probably the past couple years. But has helped with my shoulder, which has been hurting.

Well, hunting has been going well. After picking up new spray and re-washing my clothes, it looks like my spray may indeed had been old and not working that well after a few years. But now I’ve had Deer around me the past few times out, but just nothing I’ve wanted to shoot just yet. Mostly youngins, so the only thing I’ve been shooting is some videos of these guys, as well as some other forest folks visiting me. … But today was a bit of a tester in itself. Sitting 25+ feet up in the tree with winds gusting 40 to 50 mph is not fun, and will definitely test your resolve. :pleading_face: Most of this evening I spent hoping the tree I was in didn’t decide to give way and give me a quick trip to the ground! … But even though the winds were indeed in serious mode, the little guys were still running around & even coming right up to my stand. (Less then Bow range, more like spitting range) but it’s still nice to see them out and about.) But this is normal for late October, just before the rut. The older fellas usually start making their rounds toward the end of October and through November. So hopefully it continues to proceed in this manner.

Well, after letting 5 Bucks go yesterday, this morning was slow, but just as I was getting down a nice 6 pointer came in that I ended up letting go. But he was quite big for a 6, and I was starting to second guess myself, wanting to put some meat in the freezer. … But then this afternoon about an hour before dark a nice big Mature Doe came in and I am glad to say Venison will be on the Menu this weekend. :slight_smile:

Wasn’t going to post a pic in case anyone might be offended, but then thought to go ahead and post a pic, but blur it in case some won’t want to see her. But she is a big one and it took quite a bit to get her out, which I knew would be a choir. :pleading_face: Even with Deer cart it was a workout. And not sure I could have done it without V’s help too. (Thanks Honey! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) Now the work begins… Plan to get her taken care of before heading to bed. But not sure I will get back out in the morning? Should be a long night. :+1:

V even just said, 'Could you image how much harder it would have been if we hadn’t lost the weight we did!?! And I have to say, she’s definitely right. I didn’t think of that until she said it. Another plus for going Keto. Who knew? :smile: Guess that’s a NSV as well.

(Ellen) #1071

Woohoo, fresh venison.

Yes Ma’am, indeed. :slight_smile: Had some tonight actually, after hunting the evening. :+1: Been a while with me not hunting that past couple seasons, but it was quite good. … Just fried up some Venison Cubes, with added Mushrooms, Scallions and cooked it up in butter. Then with a block of Cream Cheese added after it cooked up some. Came out great. :yum: Egg Salad as a side.

Week 73: Been quite active here lately, not to mention getting some real workouts in the woods. But shows I’m down another pound this week which is good. I actually have some bumps and bruises from everything that’s been going on, so I’ve been taken Advil quite regularly here lately. Hell, I’ve taken more Advil over the past month, then I have in the past 5-6 years! … But it’s worth it, getting things done and getting back in shape to do those things I’ve missed for the past few years. :slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1074

That’s awesome Dave, it really feels good doesn’t it? Except I don’t have any good excuses for my laziness anymore. :cowboy_hat_face:

Yes Sir, is does indeed. :slight_smile: … Believe me, I’m not one to worry about hard work and I’m also one of those folks who actually enjoys it. But when you haven’t done something you’ve always enjoyed for so many years, especially when it uses muscles in a way not normally exercised, it definitely shows when you haven’t done it for a while. For me this was mainly pulling back my Bow and shooting, as well as simply dragging out a harvested animal. Again, definitely shows you haven’t done it for a while. :slight_smile:

Honestly, It was a bit depressing after that first time, not being able to simply pull my Bow back. And it took me about 4 weeks of dedicating myself and making myself shoot everyday to get back in form and build confidence, but I can also say I was feeling it. - But as I shot day after day, I slowly began to notice how it was coming back and getting not only easier each time, but started to feel more natural again.

(Virginia ) #1076

It sure will. And, thanks… she is a nice one.:grin:

You’re very welcome, anytime…love you.:kissing_heart:

Well, I’m sure getting one of the Big guys out won’t be fun either. :smile: Especially now that you’ve seen some of the crazy terrain back there. But if it happens, I’ll get it out. :slight_smile:

(Virginia ) #1078

We will.:grin:

Week 74: Well, shows I’m up +2 this week, which is pretty much how it’s been going for a while now. So if I go a few weeks with minuses or evens, I usually see a plus pop in every few weeks or so. … But as I’ve mentioned before, this really doesn’t bother me, because if it did I’m sure I would probably pay more attention to why this might be happening. :smile: … I can say I’ve been extremely busy lately with all the hunting and other activities I’ve been doing, and I’ve been feeling quite strong with my shooting and all the climbing in and out of trees, etc. But also know that since I have a habit of eating TMAD on weekends, and lately, drinking loads after hunting all day, I’m probably not helping myself to see better numbers when I weigh in on Sunday mornings. But I also don’t like to weigh in whilst Fasting, or light in meals. For I think this shifts weight way too much to give honest numbers. But what’s the medium? :slight_smile:

When I hunt, which is every Saturday and Sunday plus any other days I take off or slip out early, I don’t hardly drink anything whilst hunting. Obviously this is because I’m sitting up 25+ feet in a tree for many hours at a time, if not all day. And well, drinking pretty much anything causes issues I’d rather not deal with when I’m already in stand and ready to just enjoy the time. … But when I get home, that’s another story. I tend to drink absolute loads feeling quite parched & can’t seem to quench the thirst most times. Not to mention, I’ve actually noticed being a bit dehydrated as of late as well. (which I’m sure doesn’t help with weight loss either) - But as I’ve also mentioned before, I’ve never been one of those folks who uses the restroom on a daily basis, or even multiple times daily. I’m one of those folks who seems to hold onto foods longer, usually going days between. Which can be at times 3, 4, 5 or even more days between visits. (Note: This has not changed since switching over to Keto, but is how I’ve always been. If anything, I may even go somewhat longer now? Just wanted to mention that, so no one were to think switching over itself might be part of the cause.) Now with that being said, there are rare times I can see daily visits for a couple/few days, but then it’s back to normal. (But this is not often) I think this is due to either me just eating something that happened to help move things, or maybe it’s just something that occasionally happens after too much prolonged hold time? I can’t really say or confirm one way or the other, but just wanted to mention it since this too seems to be part of it all.

But as some may have noticed, I’ve also been getting back into Fasting here lately. And as my chart shows, I actually stepped away from Fasting for a few months. Not because it was an issue or causing any problems, but simply because I found that I might have been wanting to do it too often? So decided to just enjoy some meals for a while, and see if it might indeed make any difference? But to be honest, I don’t think it really did, as far as weight loss or anything else I’ve noticed. … If anything, during that time off, the only thing I did find was that I missed getting that lighter overall feeling that I enjoyed so much. So I have gone back to it, and have been enjoying just doing a small Fast each week, but have really been wanting to get back to doing some longer ones. This might not enhance weight loss per se, but it does usually make me feel better overall, allowing myself to simply get away from foods altogether for days at a time and maybe just getting that lighter feeling. :slight_smile: So we’ll see how the coming weeks go.

Well, I just rambled on a bit tonight, since I’ve found I haven’t been too active on here lately with getting back into hunting, etc. (Except dropping in my meals daily, which I’ve done since joining) So I wanted to just sit back and add in some additional data in here tonight. If anything, just to keep things current and add in some recent insights I may not have mentioned previously? … Lastly I can say that like I’ve seen some others mention, though my weight loss hasn’t changed much per the chart, I haven’t noticed that my clothes fitting always matches this. - I have some things, like shirts, that seem to fit me better in the past few months, though weight seems to be relatively the same? So even though the overall weight is not significantly lower, I do believe changes are still happening. At least it feels that way… :slight_smile:

(Susan) #1080

That is great, Dave. I am glad that your health seems to be okay now and not sick anymore, that is great. Best wishes with your fasting days and hoping it will trigger some nice Autophagy benefits for you and maybe some weight loss too, take care =).

Week 75: Shows another 1 lb. gain for this week, but I did eat quite well indeed, so that’s fitting. :slight_smile: But between working and Hunting, I feel like I’ve been constantly busy these past few weeks, and I haven’t been sleeping that well for some reason? Feel fine, just keep waking up a few times through the night, so not sure how much restful sleep I may be getting here lately? Probably due to all the mornings of getting up early, and not sleeping in at all, including weekends.

I wanted to mention something, so just dropping this information into my thread here… Hoping to learn more on it come Wednesday, after my Eye Appointment. :confused:

As mentioned, I have an Eye Doctors appointment set up for Wednesday and the strange thing is that my right Eye seems to be “ better? ” here recently, without the glasses I’ve been using? … I mean, for the most part I mainly use glasses for when I’m on the computer, and I’m told this is also what probably caused me to even need glasses in the first place. (Other then just age, now requiring reading glass to see smaller print) But I do have some lightly magnified glasses for watching TV or driving, (for distance) after speaking with them last year about how my eyes would get after long stints on a computer. (only used them when this is so) - And until recently, they seem to help with this. So I’m not sure what’s really going on. But now when I put the ‘Distance’ glasses on, my Left Eye seems to be in a little better focus as it was, but my Right Eye appears blurry and it’s not until I take them off do things appear clearer? (without the glasses) So my Left eye appears better with the glasses, and the Right one without now. :confused:

Now I don’t know if this has anything to do with the fact I had just started getting back into hunting here recently, (i.e., shooting bows mostly, but also gun, using Binoculars, etc.) … Hell, just being away from Computers & TV in general more? I really have no clue! But something sure seems to have changed here recently. - Again, I will be speaking with them about this come Wednesday, but I’m finding it quite strange indeed and the only thing I can think of is my recent hunting activities? (I mean, either focusing my eyes more again, simply being away from electronic devices, etc.) They should be able to say if my Right Eye is better (on paper) then it’s been the past couple years, which I’m feeling it might just be?

For the record, my eyes were always excellent, up until I started doing computer work many years ago. That and the fact I spend so much time working with them now. But my Left Eye was 20/15 and my Right Eye was 20/10, so I never wore glasses until just about 8 or 10 years ago? And these were just computer glasses I only wore when I worked long hours doing GIS mapping, PowerPoint, etc.

Will follow up once I’ve spoken with them on Wednesday, and see how things go… :slight_smile: