Dave's Progress Thread - Year II

Just posted this in the food section, but just copied it here as well…

:deer: … Forgot to mention, that if I’m fortunate here soon, some Venison might start making it’s way back onto my plates. … Just got off the phone with a gentlemen who owns the property that surrounds the homes where I live, and he’s giving me permission to hunt the property! :+1: - Don’t really know just how many deer might frequent that area, but there’s deer all around where I live, so I’m pretty sure they at least cut through there from time to time. :slight_smile::deer: :deer: :deer: (Now going downstairs to see if I can use any of my old hunting clothes (VERY, VERY doubtful) but I hope I can use some things, so as to not have to go out and purchase all new stuff. Would rather wait till next season, but we’ll see.) :slight_smile:

On another note in regards to hunting, I learned a lesson tonight that I was already wondering about…

For the record, I’ve literally shot tens of thousands of arrows (if not hundred of thousands) since starting hunting back in the early 90’s. Hell, there were many times I would shoot every evening after work til dark, and all weekend long, etc. And I was shooting bows mostly set at 75 and 80 lbs. (Something I’ve always done) … But tonight? NOPE :disappointed: - I mean, I know I haven’t shot in almost three years now, but for the life of me I couldn’t even pull it back once. I had actually wondered not that long ago if I would have issues now since I hadn’t been shooting, but never expected not being able to pull the bow.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I’ve gotten weak by any chance over the past three years. I continue to do all things I’ve always done, work hard and to be honest, I feel quite strong. (I picked up the Wife & held her for a moment just a week or so ago while we were standing in the kitchen. And had no issues, other than getting a little reprimanded since I had just had Hernia Surgery 9 months ago. But told her I was fine, but that I appreciated her concern.) :slightly_smiling_face: … But what I’ve always known, is that people don’t realize that when you shoot a compound bow, you actually use your muscles in a way that you don’t normally. It’s the action of pulling the weight back, while holding the weight with the other. Over time your muscle memory for this gets stronger, and this is one of the best things for an archer. It allows them to pull the bow back with minimal resistance, as well as holding it longer, steadier or even having to let it down slowly when not presently the best shooting opportunity. (And I always took pride in this ability, as well as being extremely accurate since I dedicated so much time to shooting.) … Though most of my bow kills over the years have been generally 20 or even 30 yards (by choice) I have taken some further and was always very confident in shooting out to 40+ while hunting. … But while practice shooting, would consistently hit a 5"x7" postcard out at 70 and 80 yards, and something the size of a Silver Dollar inside of 50. But would never shoot at game that far since a lot could happen in the time it takes the arrow to travel that distance. But understand that in some areas, shots of that distance are actually necessary due to terrain and lack of obstacles, such as the areas out in the mid-west.

So it looks like I will need to start shooting once again, along with building up my muscle memory. I’m hoping I can get this done fairly quickly, since the season here has already started. But time will tell. :neutral_face:

(Susan) #1045

Hahaha, typical husband response. This made me laugh.

Good luck in getting your muscles back in shape =).

(Virginia ) #1046

Happy Birthday Honey, hope you have a good one :partying_face:…Love you :kissing_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart::kissing_heart: Hope you get a birthday deer today… good luck hunting.:deer::deer::deer:

(Jane) #1047

Happy Birthday, Dave!

Best of luck getting a deer!

Thank you Honey, and would have probably taken one this morning if the winds weren’t blowing in the completely wrong direction for where they came in. :slight_smile: (also where I thought they would too)
Love ya…

@Janie Thanks, Jane. This morning was my first time in, and I did have 4 show up at first light, but the wind was blowing directly towards them, so I didn’t think they were going to come in after that and they didn’t. They stayed on top of the ridge in front of me feeding about 60-70 yards out, but didn’t spook, so that’s the best thing. … But just seeing them was a treat. :slight_smile:

Winds for tonight and tomorrow are much more favorable for this stand site, so I’m hoping to get back in and maybe have a chance at acquiring some back straps. :yum:

(Susan) #1049

Happy Birthday Dave

Thank you, Susan. :slight_smile:

(Susan) #1051

Happy Birthday, Dave, and Many Happy Returns.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1052

Dave,

Happy Birthday. Yea, made it another year. LOL.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1053

Have a great Birthday Dave. :cowboy_hat_face:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #1054

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great weekend!

Thank you most kindly, everyone. :slight_smile: :+1:

Spent most of the day sitting up in a tree bow-hunting, and just enjoying the time. First time I’ve been hunting in 3 seasons, since I didn’t have anywhere to hunt. (Privately) So yes, it was quite enjoyable. Bigger plus was, since I actually had deer around me both in the morning and evening. 4 in the morning and 2 in the evening. They were in bow range, but the winds weren’t working well with me, so they did not present a decent enough shot opportunity. But for a small area, (25 acres) and only about 300-350 yards from the house, it’s definitely showing some potential. :slight_smile:

Just testing to see if this works. Just a quick video I shot to show today’s view. … After sneaking in this morning about an hour before light, I realized just how noisy it was walking in, so I spent an hour on the walk back to the house, kicking out a path you can see in the video. Allows me to walk in much quieter.

(Failed) #1056

Happy Birthday!

Thanks, Dee. :slight_smile:

Week 71: Been extremely preoccupied with trying to get some stuff done for hunting, (didn’t even post last week) But shows down -2 lbs. this week. … I’ve ended up doing mostly OMAD’s here lately. Though I’m feeling a bit better about the shooting, I still have a lot of work to get back to where I was. Plus, the hunting I did this weekend has been great, but also showed some issues I need to deal with. … Have had deer in on me all three sets, but between winds and possibly an issue with some ‘old?’ products, I’ve elected not to shoot anything just yet. Had 5 come in this morning, with the first one at just 18 yards, but watching them I’ve learned something isn’t working as it should be…

So heading out to do some shopping to pick up some new supplies…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1059

What do you mean Dave? Also I’m curious if you know why you went up 20 lbs between June and October? :cowboy_hat_face:

I’m thinking the scent eliminator sprays and detergent I have are out of date, and may not only be ‘not working’ but possibly putting down a scent that they don’t like. - I’ve been hunting for nearly 30 years, and pretty much have a routine for de-scenting before heading in, and the only time I’ve ever had this happen is when either the products are old, or simply not working. Or I got sloppy and missed a step. (Rare) … (They all do have a shelf-life, and since I didn’t hunt the past two seasons, most of it is nearly 3 years old.) So I just got back from the store and have all new sprays, clothes detergent, etc. Plan on washing all my clothes, spraying everything down and re-storing it in my scent free bags. … It’ just from watching how they have been acting, it isn’t something that’s making them run a mile away, but they are skittish and simply backing out and give a few snorts, like they are trying to figure out what it is. But it’s enough to freak them out a bit. (Will see how the next hunt goes when they come in and I’ve refreshed)

Honestly, Dunno? :confused: … Though I haven’t worried about it to be honest, I have wondered why though. I can say that one guess is that I wasn’t as active as I was the months before, mostly due to work requiring me at the computer all day recently, mostly doing GIS and other projects, but very little site reviews since then. And in the evenings, I do think my activity levels have dropped there as well. But the past 3 weeks or so, I’ve been doing much more getting ready to get back into hunting. Either walking the property, scouting, or simply working on my gear, shooting, etc. … So, it may just be that fact alone? Since foods really haven’t changed overall, but I’m sure it will show as the next months go by. I will be hunting much more, as well as working out more to help with all this. - Plus, I’ve also been doing more OMAD these days, or simply skipping days altogether. But this is mostly due to not being hungry as usual, but also doing other things I would rather do then sitting down for meals. I do get a bit involved when I get into ‘Hunter Mode’, as I’m sure my Wife will attest to. But it’s something I really enjoy and spend a lot of time and prep doing. Hell, before loosing the last property I had a few years ago, I would take off anywhere from 8 to 10 weeks each year to hunt. Usually the last two weeks of Oct, the whole month of November, and a couple/few weeks in December. So yeah, it does keep me a lot busier than simply sitting at home, watching TV, or similar. Hopefully it will show a difference. :slight_smile:

(Ellen) #1061

That makes me want to try archery again, I still have the recurve horse bow I used in Mongolia, although if I had to rely on that for food I’d starve, think it’s awesome you hunt by bow, you’d definitely be handy in the event of a zombie apocalypse :smiley:

(Ellen) #1062

Happy belated birthday @Digital_Dave