Dairy free experiment

(Jen) #62

I’m actually doing ok with this! It’s still a habit every day to want to stick an ounce of cheese on to a meal to boost the fat, but I haven’t slipped up yet.

I also haven’t weighed myself yet so no clue if it’s doing any good. That time of month should be coming shortly so I’ll wait till that curse is over before I step on the scale. I’m way too easily discouraged otherwise!

(Liz ) #63

Oh i hear you on all that! I hope it’s been beneficial. But if not, second prize is you get to eat dairy again, lol, so we win either way I guess!

I’m waiting through my PMS week eagerly to see if my acne is more controlled when dairy free. I’ve tried dairy free for this in the past and noticed no improvements but I was not keto at the time so…

Finally! I made it a full day with no cow dairy or nuts!!! Yay me.

(Liz ) #65

Well done, you!

I don’t know about you but I hate the feeling of NEEDING to eat a thing, constantly thinking about it, feels like addiction even if it’s a lovely Keto food. So any time I can do without makes me feel more in control.

(Jen) #66

Your “second prize” comment made me lol…
I was kinda thinking the same thing. Although I desperately want the scale to move, I sure would love to find out I’m not actually sensitive to dairy! :smiley:

(Liz ) #67

So, one dairy free PMS cycle completed & my skin issues, while not totally calm, did seem less intense. I don’t expect to lose weight during my period so I’ll see what happens after. Might try a second month dairy free just to see if more time equals better/more obvious results.

So far it’s not been a hardship but we’re going away for the weekend & take out coffee could get awkward. I’ll bring packets of coconut oil but my tiny battery powered frother just does not emulsify it.

(Monica) #68

Tried blending my BP coffee this morning…spent half an hour wiping down the kitchen. Will stick with dairy in my coffee until I can figure out blending thing :fearful:

(Liz ) #69

Oh no! I use a stick blender in the open cup that came with it, filled no more than about halfway. Hot coffee cannot be blended in a closed container or it will expand and explode!

(Monica) #70

I used the blender cup as well but being that it was early and I hadn’t had my coffee yet…I used the whisk adapter instead of the immersion blender. Lol

(Monica) #71

I’m very new to keto and wonder if going dairy free also means no grass fed butter? I’ve come to rely on it as primary source of fat in alot of my meals and am considering ditching dairy. Just wonder if it contributes to inflammation as much as other sources of dairy do. Any experiences you can share would be appreciated.

Hello @Monilind,
I am allergic to dairy protein, including the residual traces in butter, so made my own clarified butter which I cook with.
It is pretty easy.
If you search the recipe section I think you will find it.
Have had no troubles using that in my cooking

(Liz ) #73

I’m not sure for myself specifically about butter. Some people react to the proteins & some don’t. A lot of folks use ghee/clarified butter instead.

For this experiment I’ve excluded all dairy including butter & ghee for a month. At some point I will add ghee back in, see how that goes for a few weeks, then butter, watch how I do. Like that.

(Liz ) #74

Went away for the weekend & did pretty well. We stayed with relatives so I brought my immersion blender & made my coconut oil coffee no problem. I did put a little butter on steamed green beans but felt no effects. Now I’m fasting so if it did affect me somehow, fasting will clear it out, I assume.

Hope y’all are finding out good information about your specific reactions to dairy!

(Liz ) #75

Using a little bit of ghee in my coffee this gloomy, rainy, chilly morning. Anyone else using ghee?

I’m not sure I can tell if dairy free is helping me in any way. I think I’ll be better able to tell its effects when I reintroduce it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #76

This is why I dropped out of the challenge. When I did reintroduce butter, yogurt, and some hard cheese I saw a drop in weight. I had bounced up near the top of my acceptable range when I wasn’t using any of those. I am confident now I don’t have issues with dairy, as long as I don’t make too many treat foods with it. Luckily, I live on the savory side, so my chocolate fat bombs are my treat. I do make a keto cheesecake, primarily for my DH about every three or four months.

(TJ Borden) #77

Not to be a asshole (although I’ve been told I come by it naturally), but I’m so happy to hear that. If the consensus was that it seemed to help, I was going to feel compelled to try it, and I don’t want to. I LOVE HWC :kissing_heart:

(Liz ) #78

LOL I don’t think you’re an asshole for loving HWC :rofl: but I don’t think there’s a consensus either way so, n=1 on my friends!

(Shayne) #79

I’ve had to give up dairy and not by choice. Turns out that cassein has been the cause of my palpitations and chest pain. It does suck because I was using dairy as a fat source and one of my food groups is ranch dressing… which I will now be making at home with mayo and coconut milk.

I’ve been using some tasty (I can’t believe I said it, either) vegan cheeses to help get myself over it, but it’s time to let them go as well since they’re probably not keto friendly. I made sure they were dairy and soy free, but didn’t look a lot further than that.

(Liz ) #80

Oof, so sorry! I hope you can wean off the cheese substitutes and still enjoy your meals.

I make a homemade ceasar dressing that happens to be dairy free (with raw eggs) it is quite tasty. How do you make your ranch (with and without) I have been looking for a ranch