Dairy free experiment

(Liz ) #1

Along with @lostinyonkers and @mmm_bacon I think I need to attempt a dairy free month, at least, but I’ll start here. I’ve been effectively bouncing around the same number on the scale for months. I’m still 20-25 pounds from goal. I’ve tried intermittent fasting, extended fasting, lowering protein, etc. I don’t use sweeteners or anything else that’s not real food. I count carbs, I weigh & measure everything. I rarely drink. I don’t snack.

Things I haven’t tried yet: exercise (lazy), zero carb, cutting back fats in my coffee during my IF, dairy free. So here goes dairy free first!

Feel free to join in & post what you are eating instead of dairy if you want to try this too. I’ve been phasing out heavy cream in my coffee, coconut oil & MCT blended in work just as well for me. Might sub ghee for butter. We’ll see how it goes.

Found reasons for my stall - dairy intolerance
(Cristian Lopez) #2

Yes go dairy free!!

Thats the biggest change ive done and I feel amazing!!

(Liz ) #3

Thanks for the encouragement! I did do dairy free before, when I was Paleo, but I don’t remember it making much difference in how I felt. But that was then, this is now. Ready to try again.

(Stacy) #4

Cream in my coffee was the one thing I couldn’t give up. But as of today I’m doing unsweetened coconut milk and butter. It was pretty good!! Good luck!

(TJ Borden) #5

Keep us posted. I’ll be curious to see if it helps. I can’t imagine not having dairy, but a year ago I couldn’t imagine not having bread either.

(Liz ) #6

Yay! The stick blending for me was what made it work with just oils.

(Liz ) #7

Will do! I know, right? Lol. The things we’re capable of!!

(Troy) #8

Good Luck on this!
I cut all dairy except for butter :smile:
Great so far, I have other dairy cravings…yet​:thinking::grimacing:

(Jodi) #9

Good luck! I’ve been dairy free for over 3weeks, kinda miss it at times. I’m eventually going to try to see if I can add it back in, but we’ll see.:blush:

(Allie) #10

I’ve given up hard cheese and it’s helped me a lot, but am still using other dairy without any issues.

(Mark Rhodes) #11

My wife went on Maria’s Dairy Free Keto Cleanse Diet. It’s been 5 weeks now and her stall slowly stopped stalling. She does not eat nut either (now). Slowly she is reintroducing dairy once or twice a week. She says she feels different in the digestion but not enough to make her abruptly stop. SO the dairy she has now? HWC in coffee when we stop for one or cheese in a meal. Her butter is usually ghee now and that is used for cooking.

Good luck

(Jen) #12

Thanks for starting this thread @LizinLowell!
I’m looking forward to having some other folks to commiserate with as I try to adjust to a dairy-free life. It’s gonna be a struggle to say bye to cheese, but hopefully it’ll be worth it.

Like @Baytowvin said… a year ago I couldn’t imagine not having bread, and somehow I’ve survived. I suppose the same will happen with cheese. Right? :grimacing:

(Liz ) #13

I gave away cheese & cream today! :scream: And I’m finishing up my parm crisps before the 1st. We GOT THIS!

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

While I am maintaining, I am going to attempt this to see if I can tighten up the range a bit, it is starting to get larger than the 3 lb. limit I have set for myself.

I’ll make some ghee, use avo and light olive oil for cooking veggies. I have been using lots of cheese sauces and parma chips rule me. Come to think of it, I will continue to use goat’s cheese, just dumping bovine products.

Will have to follow Liz’s example and finish those parma chips off before April 1. My husband will think I am pulling an April Fools Day joke on him when I tell him I’m trying no dairy. I love yogurt and hard cheese sooo much. :smiling_imp:

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #15

I went carnivore in December, stopped added salt in January, and as of April 1 (or maybe by Saturday, depending on when I finish up the dairy I have), I’ll be doing a month of dairy free (except for eggs and butter). Though my test run isn’t about weight loss, I’ll take some fat loss if it happens.

(Allie) #16

Why stop salt? Just curious as so many of us focus on making sure to get enough sodium.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #17

It was actually something that a carnivore vet spoke about on FB in a thread regarding salting. Those of us who where new to this way of eating who came from keto were pro-salting, salt is of course all the rave in the keto community. She shared all of the activity she does, the area she lives in, and how much she sweats and she still doesn’t salt. That piqued my curiosity. Salt doesn’t really work well for me, but I still would add salt and have salt water during workouts because electrolytes. She suggested for us to give it a go. I think I’m the only one from that exchange who did. LOL My bp went down to a healthy range, something I wasn’t able to accomplish on keto and the salting wasn’t helping. That alone was enough for me to give most of my salt away except for what I use to cook for others. I personally don’t believe that everyone needs to salt heavily, and I don’t mind saying so. I also stopped supplementing magnesium and stopped worrying about potassium.

It’s possible that as my insulin responses and fasting insulin improves, I may need more salt, but for now, this is how it is.

(Allie) #18

That’s interesting, thanks for explaining.
I have never been a fan of salt, just don’t like the taste, so never had it - was once told by doctors to have more as my BP was so low. I ignored them and was fine :joy:
But I decided to try adding it about a year ago and noticed improvements straight away, mainly with the speed of muscle recovery after gym. I make capsules and was taking one with each meal as well as before gym and for a while I was fine, but then started getting water retention and sickness so reduced and played around until I got it right - now I just take one capsule each morning and I get the benefits without the side effects.

(Jen) #19

Having a farewell-to-dairy fathead pizza tonight! We got this!

(Liz ) #20

I finished my parm crisps and moon cheese! I’m gathering up all my dairy free dinner recipes. Stocking up on bacon and coconut oil. Cold bacon is my slice of cheese replacement. I wasn’t using too much cheese at dinner because my husband is lactose intolerant but it was creeping in there weekly. I’m wondering if I should go cold turkey on butter as well? What are you all doing?