Dairy free experiment

(KCKO, KCFO) #42

I blew it yesterday. I forgot it was the 1st, and made our usual cheeseburger casserole. It wasn’t till after I had eaten it along with a keto bread that contained more cheese.

So today is a new day, I had my coffee with coconut oil.

Hope others are being more mindful than me.

(Liz ) #43

Lol now I don’t feel so alone about my coffee with cream slip up! Every day is a new beginning :smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #44

Two out of four days with NO dairy, not even butter or the goat cheese I decided to allow myself. I can’t believe how addicted I am to things with cheese in them. :exploding_head:

I am realizing how great it will be if I just cut back in the dairy dept. I’m going to tough this one out, might have to get back on the horse a few times, but cut back percentage is better than none. So far, it is 50%.

(Stacy) #45

Gah I messed up! I had cut dairy as of last week and was seeing the scale start to move (after three months of no movement). Today, we are in need of groceries and all that was in the fridge besides a boatload of cheese and non keto stuff was some leftover keto broccoli/cheese bake I made for Easter for DH. I ate it. It was good. But I was doing so well without cheese. Sigh

I will say I am surprised at how much I want cheese and dairy…but I am loving my morning coffee with butter and coconut milk!

(Liz ) #46

@collaroygal I know this is hard but sounds like you are learning a lot about yourself!

@mmm_bacon Oh shoot! I feel for you. Hopefully you can get right up & start over.

So I fasted 94 hours last weekend, until Monday night. Haven’t had dairy since my oops on Sunday morning. Last 93 hour fast I gained a mysterious pound a day for EIGHT DAYS afterwards. GAH! This recent fast I took all that back off, of course as it was likely mostly water.

So of course I’ve been nervous stepping on the scale yesterday & today but so far I have put back on less than a pound of refeed weight which is amazing!! Too nervous to be too hopeful, and too soon to know, but what if the difference was dairy? I didn’t think I ate that much dairy but…maybe I did.

The true miracle would be if my weight went down at all without fasting. Then I’d start to be a dairy-free believer lol ugh why is it so delicious?!?

Ok dairy-freers! Onward!

(Stacy) #47

@LizinLowell OMG a lb a day…I’d put the scale away it would stress me so much! Fingers crossed for you! I feel like the dairy free thing is the answer for me. My mess up today is the only one in 9 days so I consider that a huge win. I’m currently carrying some water weight from a strenuous workout yesterday, so waiting until Friday to check if it’s working! :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #48

Have you tired coconut oil in your coffee? I like it a lot especially when I am trying to fast. I only use like a teaspoon melted and blended into the coffee. It keeps hunger at bay really well too.

I’m spending some time with the keto recipes, trying to find things without cheese added. I also have to go to the store for pork rinds. I keep reaching for the cheese Whisps, and they are a no go this month. :sweat:

(Liz ) #49

TBH I kinda freaked out lol

(Stacy) #50

@collaroygal I did do that previously but preferred the butter taste. That said I haven’t tried it since going dairy free and it would bring me fully dairy free (no butter). Maybe I’ll do that tomorrow and see how it tastes!!

This just happened to me. Last week I did a 4 or 5 day fast. Ended last Wednesday and gained 9 pounds as of this morning! I am 48 hours into a new fast and spent the day walking to the nearest bathroom, down 4 pounds since this morning. I’m going to cry if i can no longer have dairy. I did witnout it for over 10 years. To get it back and then lose it again is cruel. Going to see if sheep and goat dairy are okay.

(Liz ) #52

Oh I feel for you, believe me! Please let us know how those alternative dairy products work for you.

I have had to cut out all cows milk dairy, but have discovered, to my absolute delight!!!, that I am able to tolerate sheeps and goats milk dairy.
Oh happy day!!!

Now I have to make sure that I don’t make such a pig of myself that I stall again, or gain weight.

cheers all xx

(Liz ) #54

Oh my goodness I did it AGAIN. Before I even gave it a thought I had a piece of Brie cheese. A small piece, no big deal, but so weird to realize afterwards what I’d done. Oops! Again this happened away from home so I think that’s where I need to pay better attention lol. At home I’m very aware of what I eat. Lesson learned (again?!)

Meanwhile my weight is pretty stable, still waiting to see if I start losing again.

How’s everyone doing?

My first dairy free day and I made flathead pizza for dinner, lol. I guess tomorrow I begin dairy free.

(Liz ) #56

Haha! Oh my goodness we stink at this :smile: I’m going to keep trying, tho!!

I definitely need to get off the dairy wagon. My stomach is so bloated right now. Ugh it was feeling good, not flat but flatter and right now it’s huge. I wish dairy made me sick as a dog like it used to, it was much easier to avoid. But going forward from tonight on I am done with it. Nothing tastes as good as feeling good feels and getting to a new lower size summer wardrobe would feel awesome. Good luck staying away. In the past I have found just saying to myself I don’t eat that was all I needed to do to stay away from foods I was no longer eating. So “I don’t eat dairy”

(Liz ) #58

Yes exactly! We are all pros at giving up foods. We got this! Hope you start to feel better.

(KCKO, KCFO) #59

I messed up one more time, but otherwise doing good. I added Cheese Whisps to a dish without even thinking about it because that is how I make it all the time. So only 3 days so far this month, which honestly is better than I thought I would do.

I really am not noticing any difference. Using the goat cheese has helped, had that on top of a dish I would normally have used cheddar for, but it was surprisingly delicious. Will do that again.

Hope others are seeing results and staying on target better than me.

(KCKO, KCFO) #60

Well, I am out of this, I miss the dairy too much and I was not seeing any results except frustration from figuring out what to eat that didn’t have dairy in it.

So I will just be cutting back, a few days without it helped with that part.

Wishing everyone else good luck.

(Liz ) #61

@collaroygal Right on, wouldn’t know any of that until you tried! Good experimenting.

I am not having any trouble living without it as I was dairy free years before & already figured then out what works for me.

I’ve been avoiding butter to see what, if anything, happens when I add it back in at some point.

My weight is stable at a lower number but I will look again at the end of the month to see if it’s any lower than that.

Mostly at this point I’m curious if my continuous lifelong hormonal acne will improve. I’m 48, pimples plus gray hair, lol, it’s beyond frustrating. So I’d love some change there.

How’s everyone getting along?