Dairy free experiment

(Shayne) #82

The spices of ranch are garlic, onion, chives, and dill. Depending on what I’m using it for (dip or salad dressing) will determine the ratio of mayo to coconut milk - more mayo to keep it thicker for dip and more coconut milk to make it more pourable. Then just add the spices to taste and salt if you need it. If you need a little tang, add some ACV or lemon juice keeping in mind that the vinegar or lemon juice will thin it out a bit depending on how much you add.

Sometimes I’ll add bacon grease or bits (or both) or some avocado/guac for something different.

Thank you. Sounds good.

Did you add HWC before you went off dairy?

Ceasar Salad. Note I make my own mayo based on a recipe I got on here

6 cloves garlic minced
1 TBS mustard dijon but I use any
1 TB Vinegar I use ACV but will vary it
salt and pepper
2TBS Mayo
1/2 cup olive oil. I generally use extra light as I do not love the heavy extra virgin taste, or you can use avocado oil.
lemon juice to taste
minced anchovies, 1 can I use the one with capers. I hate fish but this gives it an amazing taste

I blend it using my immersion blender

The recipe is from a cooking website but I have no idea which one as my friend sent it to me originally

(Shayne) #84

No, I used sour cream instead of coconut milk.

(KCKO, KCFO) #85

For Ranch we really enjoy this version of Dump Ranch, so easy. I play with the herbs &spices of course.
https://www.wholelifechallenge.com/dump-ranch-how-to-make-a-healthy-easy-dip-and-dressing/

Also if you are missing cheesy taste, nutritional yeast can be sprinkled on salads or soups.

(tulsanurse1) #86

Wondering if youve noticed anything different since going dairy free.

(Liz ) #87

Well my weight has not suddenly started going down again so I’m hopeful dairy was not a factor in my stall. Now I’m checking to see if abstaining from dairy helps with acne and or GERD. I’ll probably only know when I add it back in.

Hi Liz,
in the same boat as you.
Weight has not dropped after one initial drop of a kg.
I am pretty much stalled and have been since I started keto nearly three months ago.
My GERD has improved markedly without dairy though, so that is a huge bonus.
I guess we just KCKO…

(Liz ) #89

Sorry you are not getting where you want to go with weight loss. I’m actually at a good place to stall out so I’m not super frustrated but I do have more fat to burn so I will persist & figure out how to access it. I’m Keto for life so honestly there’s no real hurry, but it would be good to know if I’m eating something that’s holding me back. Glad you have other improvements!

Hi Liz
you have a great attitude!! I love it.
I have about 15 kg to lose, but I lost the same amount by starving myself prior to keto. (went on Biggest Loser - nuff said!!)
I think the great thing is that I have not put any back on so that is HUGE win for me.

I figure this is my life now and I love it and understand it.
It will happen eventually, but if not, I am not too bad at 77 kg, it’s just that I am a little under height for my weight :smiley:

(Liz ) #91

Lol you have a good attitude too! Yes, not regaining is a BIG DEAL. I feel like with fasting as a tool I never had before, I need never gain again. It’s much more relaxing than past weight loss attempts. Understanding the science of insulin resistance has made all the difference to me this go ‘round.

(Jen) #92

Yeah no miracle loss happening here either.
Mixed feelings. I wish I knew why I’m so stalled, but glad it looks like I can still enjoy cheese.

(Liz ) #93

nods I know, was hoping this would be the key!! Ugh. Back to the drawing board.

I had a slice of Monterrey jack the other night and watched my skin for acne the next few days. Maybe?? Not sure. I did get a stuffy nose before bedtime that night and that could be from the cheese. I have been using ghee in my coffee a few times, doesn’t seem to make a difference. SHRUG

(TJ Borden) #94

I’m envisioning you saying “fuck it” and eating a block of cream cheese than chugging HWC from the jug to wash it down.

Actually, I just described my dessert last night.

Side note, the little emojis that pop up above the keyboard help my spelling sometimes. I want :ice_cream:, not :camel:.

(Liz ) #95

LOL I have already been through my cream cheese and HWC phase a few months ago so hopefully that’s out of my system!! But if avoiding cream and limiting cheese helps my skin stay clear that’s good enough for me :smile: Really crossing my fingers I can add butter back in though…

(Angelica Lopez) #96

I dropped dairy for a month and lost my last very stubborn few pounds, and my abs no longer bloated up sometimes. I then added it back and I didn’t regain anything. Better for you to start exercising first, even if it’s just walking, as I was only walking at the time of my initial weight loss.

(Liz ) #97

Thank you! I am on my feet a lot all day but I have started exercising again recently :smile:

(Liz ) #98

I had some sour cream last night, two tablespoons maybe? Watching my skin today for signs of acne. I’ve been using ghee with no apparent issues.

I guess I can assume dairy is not stalling my weight loss. I will add it back in as wanted, probably will not have it daily in case my skin is sensitive. If I notice issues I can easily cut back again.

What are everyone else’s conclusions?

(Brittany) #99

I am trying dairy free- today is day 8…I have been stalled for the longest . I wonder how long it takes to really know if Dairy is your problem. hmmm

(Liz ) #100

It’s a good question. Anecdotally, from what I’ve read here, people seemed to un-stall after about a week dairy free if that was their issue. I went a whole month with no noticeable change. I won’t reintroduce it heavily but I won’t be afraid to have dairy here & there & I will be looking for adverse reactions when I do.