Dairy free experiment

(Jen) #21

I love the idea of bacon as the cheese replacement. That might make me feel like I’m not depriving myself.

I’m going to whip up some homemade mayo and my favorite dump ranch to keep around as well. I always kinda relied on cheese as an easy (and yummy) way to bump up my fat. I think that’s gonna be the toughest part for me. It’s just habit… I’m sure it can be broken!

From what I’ve read, butter doesn’t really have the same inflammatory effects as other dairy, but yeah I guess I should probably dump that too if I’m really going to commit.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #22

It’s funny that you’re dairy free, but have a profile avatar of a dairy product, KidKeto.

(Valerie Williams) #23

I think I’m going to creep into this by eleminating cow dairy over the next couple of weeks. Keep goat and sheep. Make ghee. Can’t afford to throw out all dairy I have, but won’t purchase more. Stalled for a month. 17 pounds 1st month, 0 second. Any suggestions welcome. Track everything closely on Cronometer. Only one cheat day in 60. Fibromyalgia so exercise difficult.

(Cristian Lopez) #24

The exceptionn now is rather ghee for me!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #25

Yeah, that water retention and such is just - blaaah… my recovery after works are really great, like no matter how hard I work, I’m god either the next day or the day after at the latest. I attribute that to diet rather than any type of supplementation. Also, I think between the use of hot sauce (which isn’t really a lot) and meats, I do get adequate sodium and I don’t have to concern myself with keeping a balance of salt:potassium, which is something I wanted to more naturally happen anyway.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #26

Yeah, I did a butter haul earlier this month before deciding to go dairy free. LOL A ~big~ butter haul. I can make ghee out it if need be, but butter hasn’t been a noticeable contributor to what I believe may be a sensitivity to dairy - which is really the heavy cream, yogurt (regular and Greek), sour cream, cheeses, and cream cheese. Those are the main culprits involved when I notice sinus issues and some other signs of inflammation. If I need to cut butter, I’ll find out by the end of April, and will adjust accordingly. But for now, the butter stays. Today, I finish off all of the other milky stuff … and take a Zyrtec. :joy:

Why did you stop added salt?

I feel like I need to cut out dairy too but not sure what to eat if no dairy. Addicted to whipped heavy cream mostly.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #29

(Liz ) #30

Ok I’m going into April with a 70 hour fast to start fresh. My coffees work great with coconut oil or MCT blended in so that’s all set, no more heavy cream. Planned my dairy free meals for the week & went shopping. Got my cooked bacon, olives, macadamias & pecans for dealing with a cheese jones. Still not decided how I’ll handle butter.

I also picked up some nutritional yeast flakes as I’ve been thinking about it nonstop despite taking a B vitamin complex. We’ll see if it really does have a “cheesy” flavor to me. I used to LOVE yeast flakes on my buttered popcorn back in the 90s.

Ok fellow dairy-freers, let’s do this!

(Liz ) #31

Hey welcome aboard! You might need more time to get fat adapted, or it could be something else. Probably the best way for forum folks to help is if you start a new dedicated post with your info (height, weight, age, metabolic condition, sample menu, etc) so we can puzzle it out for you.

(Liz ) #32

I was totally addicted to heavy cream! But I weaned off it because I hate that need. I blend coconut, MCT, or butter/ghee into my coffee now & it’s fine. The blending is key though.

(Cristian Lopez) #34

Try nutritional yeast!!!

it legit tastes like the cheese powder in instant kraft mac & cheese!!

(Liz ) #35

Just bought some! Will try it after I break my fast. I used to love it years ago.

(KCKO, KCFO) #36

I’m keeping my goat cheese and butter. I will be leaving out the HWC, mozzarella, brie, and cheddar cheeses I eat on a daily basis.

I’ll see how I am feeling about all this in two weeks. If I feel it is helping in some ways, I will finish out the month. As I am a cheese addict, I think I can face this protocol more easily than no dairy for a whole month.

Wish me luck, I’m gonna need it.

Good luck all. I’m trying to cut back on dairy a little bit (compared to a month ago) but not really a lot.

I believe I should remove dairy from my diet because years ago I had a severe allergy to all cow dairy, even butter. But slowly my allergy went away. Mostly but not entirely. But after 15 to 20 years of not being able to eat any cheese or butter, it was such a pleasure to have it back, I find it very difficult to give it up again.

So I will watch your progress, and if there are marked improvements, I’ll reconsider. I do know after going hard-core keto a few months ago, my cream-caused cough is gone, and my sinuses have cleared up.

(Liz ) #38

Wishing you luck @collaroygal ! I hope you get some benefit from the sacrifice.

@Alexia I get that cream cough too, but I find I also get it with coconut oil so I’m not sure what that’s about. I take apple cider vinegar & that seems to stop it after the fact. I think it’s GERD symptoms for me.

Welp I took a few sips of coffee with cream while I was out this morning, didn’t even think about it! Oh man. As soon as I realized what I’d unconsciously done I blushed for like a half hour in embarrassment for myself haha! :flushed:
But whatever, I started my dairy fast right after that, right?

(Liz ) #39

My 70 hour fast turned into a 90+ hour fast! I’ll break tonight at dinner. My meal plan for the week:

Broiled pork tenderloin with Brussels sprouts pan seared in bacon fat

Slow cooked beef short ribs with steamed broccoli (not sure if I should use butter??)

Italian sausage with red peppers served over cauliflower rice

Baked chicken tenders on a salad with home made olive oil dressing

Breakfast on a burger w/ steamed green beans

Roasted chicken pieces (skin on, bone in) with steamed green beans

I usually drench the steamed veg in butter. Maybe I’ll try ghee?

(Edith) #40

Mayonnaise is pretty good on veggies.

Edith

(Liz ) #41

I have never been a huge mayo fan but I’ll try anything once! Thanks :slight_smile: