Cookie recipe fails

(betsy.rome) #1

Tried yet another recipe for almond flour-based cookies yesterday. Yuck, waste of expensive ingredients. So sick of trying to make keto cookies and failing. My bar is high, since I used to be an ace baker. I can’t stand even the slightest taste of coconut (I am fine with refined coconut oil) so that limits me. I am committed to keto and don’t want to live without the occasional treat.
Here’s the recipe I tried yesterday: www.travelinglowcarb.com/1712/low-carb-cookie-recipe

(John) #2

I’m in the same boat, I have come to the conclusion that no baking can be done, especially with coconut flour, that even resembles real dough. I think if you spilled coconut flour on your foot it would dry and shrivel up before you could wipe it off.

Have you tried recipes from Carrie Brown? She’s a classically trained pastry chef and now does a podcast with Brian Williamson called the Ketovangelist Kitchen.

Not sure if I put my recipe on here or not. I make very basic cookies

• ground nut flour (any) 100g
  • butter 45g
  • sweetener (I use Truvia) around 2 teaspoons but to taste

The more fatty nuts like walnuts end up making quite a soft mix that dollops while almonds make a more solid mix that you can form into a roll and slice.

I have tried a few flavour twists like cinnamon, a toffee walnut with a touch of molasses, lemon and poppyseed works well with the almond flour. They are VERY crumbly when they come out of the oven and you need to resist and wait until they are cold if you want to pick them up in one piece. Of course eating with a spoon is fine too!

Oh lookey here. I did post the recipe!

(Dustin Cade) #5

try Pecan meal instead of almond flour… less carbs, and has a better flavor

There are cookie recipes that are keto or close to keto…usually the old world type recipes…like this one…italian biscotti. If you don’t have to bastardized them with odd ingredients to transform them into keto, then they will likely be better tasting. There are many centuries old recipes in Italy that use ground almond flour.

(betsy.rome) #7

FINALLY found an awesome keto cookie recipe! No flour, not even nut flour, no exotic ingredients except sweetener. Crunchy, tender, satisfying; really easy to make. It’s a merengue cookie that you put in the oven, turn the heat off, and leave overnight. I made mine in the morning for evening dessert.
http://yourlighterside.com/2013/05/low-carb-forgotten-cookies/

I modified mine slightly by adding a few drops of pecan flavoring (Lorann, Amazon) and a pinch of salt, also my pecans were roasted & salted (Trader Joe’s); my chocolate was Lily’s Choc Chips (stevia sweetened). I think next time I can use half the sweetener and half the chocolate. Keeps great in the freezer, can reheat if you want melty chocolate.

Italians have a similar cookie made like this called “brutti ma buoni”, which translates to “ugly but tasty”. They are made with ground hazelnuts, cocoa powder and vanilla. And the idea with these cookies is to use up the remainder egg whites to avoid throwing food way, since the egg yolks are what is used in cooking. This is why these cookies are made, just to use up the whites.

(betsy.rome) #9

I will look that up, thanks!

(Kathy L) #10

Is that available in grocery stores? Or make it yourself? I’ll be trying it - just found out i was allergic to eggs & almonds! :frowning:

(eat more) #11

noooooooo! :cry:

(Kathy L) #12

Yea-I wanted to cry too! Will get to a new normal!

Don’t fret! Have you ever tasted hazelnut flour? So delicious!

And…you aren’t allergic to bacon…phew !! :joy:

(Kathy L) #14

No-but will need lots of help navigating this new normal! Thank you for the tip! Both the eggs & almonds were a shocker to me! Was really expecting to see a dairy sensitivity! THANK GOD dairy is ok! Live on it! (& I WAS relieved that bacon was not a problem! ) Just bought 10 lbs yesterday!

(Kathy L) #15

PHEW!!! So happy! It’s the silver lining in the storm cloud!!

(eat more) #16

are you allergic to the whole egg, whites, or yolk?

(Dustin Cade) #17

I got it at GFS, it’s their brand too

(Kathy L) #18

"Highly " sensitive to chicken egg whites, yolks, & to a lesser degree-duck eggs.

Oh wow, thanks for that link.

(eat more) #20

:sob: