Biscotti

cookies
biscotti

The word “biscotti” means “twice baked”, which is how these cookies are made. Treat this recipe as the basic framework of a biscotti recipe. Go ahead and adapt to your own taste. Such as change the type of nuts, or replace the almond extract flavour for grated lemon peel, and so on.

First start with 2 cups of almond meal

Add one teaspoon of baking powder and mix well in the almond meal

Cut two tablespoons of butter (salted), and add to the almond mix

Then get a small bowl, two eggs, and your choice of flavourings. In this case, the flavourings used were vanilla and almond extract

Beat the eggs in the little bowl, and mix in the flavourings. In this case, one teaspoon each of vanilla and almond extracts. Pour egg mixture into almond meal mix

Get pine nuts (or whatever nuts you prefer to use). Measure out about half cup and add to almond meal mix. Note, it is better to use soft nuts, like pine nuts, macadamias and pecans, because it will be easier to cut the biscotti dough

This is what you will have so far: almond meal, with butter, egg mixture and nuts. At this point, you may add your sweetener. Usually between one to four tablespoons, depending on your taste. Some people add nothing, and just let the flavourings do the job of adding some sweetness. Get in there with your hands and blend the ingredients to form a cookie dough

The dough should look something like this

Form a dough log on a parchment paper placed on cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes at 350 deg F

Log will have a bit of browning after baking

Transfer log to cutting board

Using serrated knife, carefully slice log to make cookies

Place the cookies on the parchment, and return to oven to bake for 15 minutes at 350 deg F. Flip cookies to brown other side, and bake another 15 minutes more

While cookies are baking, take a bit of dark chocolate and butter and add to a ziplock bag. In this case, two squares 90% Lindt with one teaspoon butter

Place bag with one corner down in a container. Boil some hot water in a kettle

Add boiling hot water to container to melt chocolate

When cookies are done baking, remove from oven, and place them close to each other (which will make adding chocolate easier)

Pull melted chocolate out of hot water bath

Invert bag, with point up, and cut the corner with scissors.

Squeeze melted chocolate, in a Jackson Pollock like manner (or do whatever design you prefer), all over the biscottis

Spread the biscottis out and let them cool down

Here’s what they look like when done

Cookie recipe fails
(Henna Selnes) #2

Oh I have missed this when out in the snow and stop for coffee and cakes. I could hug you. klem now I can have my treat again. Thank you!

(Richard Morris) #3

Love biscotti - this is another keeper

Beautiful! Love the picturesof the process-will try soon! Thank you so much!

(Mike) #5

I will be making these. They look great!

Yeah, what’s really nice about these cookies are that they are so good for dipping in coffee and tea. They maintain their shape and soak up the liquid real well. Dip these babies in coffee with HWC, or chai tea with HWC…absolute heaven!

(Mediterranean Magic! Show me yer...) #7

I kissa you! :slight_smile:

(Henna Selnes) #8

Oh yes I miss that. Coffee in the morning now only,but I love my vanilja chai latte in the evening. Those are my treats now. BUT!! There shall be biscotti to go with that.:coffee::sparkling_heart::heart_eyes_cat:

(Kipp Howard) #9

Any idea on the nutrition information for this recipe? Is it already in myfitnesspal?

I kissa you back! Nonna style (with pinching of cheeks)

Sorry, I didn’t do that. But, you can easily figure it out…

18 cookies - whole batch

2 cups almond meal
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup nuts (whichever type you desire)
Zero to 4 tablespoons of your choice of sweetener
2 squares of dark chocolate + 1 teaspoon butter (if you add chocolate glazing)
Other flavourings of your choice…vanilla, extracts, etc

(Kipp Howard) #12

Yeah, thanks. If we make this, I’ll do the calculations and update myfitnesspal and here with the results.

Awesome!

(Kipp Howard) #14

As a suggestion, adding this summary to the top or bottom of your post would be helpful.

Thanks

Yeah…that’s not my style to do it because I focus more on showing the technique and fundamentals steps. Sort of like chef Kenji.

But, I will take your feedback and add a short list at the top. Thank you for that.

(Kipp Howard) #16

I really like your style. It makes me (a non-cook) think I could do it myself. Just having the list to see what I need to have in the house (or get at the store) is helpful, IMO.

Thanks again for posting. :smiley:

(Georgia) #17

I am in awe of the great cooks who post here. It’s one thing to post a recipe, but to have figured out how to take a high carb recipe and make it keto, just blows my mind.

And I second what @kipp said about thinking a non-cook can make these recipes!

Great to know it helps. This is why I do it…I read about people’s struggles with food and cooking, and it doesn’t have to be that way. Why suffer if there is a simple solution?

(Henna Selnes) #19

Waiting patiently for the water to boil. Although I “tried” or “quality control” tested one already,oh, oh oh my goodness,so good. I made anis, vanilje and almond taste. Wow!!! So good. I also added a few drops of chocolate liquid stevia to my ganash.

Jævli god smak!!!

(Susan Stimson) #20

Thank you!!! These look amazing.