Christmas strategy

(KCKO, KCFO) #62

Sometimes we forget it is just another day.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #63

Well said. Just so much pressure all aroundā€¦ as if everyone around is really that happy and crazy about family etcā€¦and this bloody food :roll_eyes:

(Running from stupidity) #64

I donā€™t! :slight_smile: Every day is Hermit Day.

(Randy) #65

Iā€™m just never eating [spoiler]shit food[/spoiler] again. And things like cake, cookies, pies, sugary drinks, bread/stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied yams etc. are just (mainly) processed [spoiler]shit[/spoiler].

But hey, if ya gotta, then go for it. :slight_smile:

:pray:

(David Cooke) #67

Grinch? Not for the kids it isnā€™t. The look of joy when they see a Christmas tree for the first time, the wriggling, giggling anticipation of Christmas day, me listening to Christmas carols on the BBC and thinking about Christmases 60 years ago and thousands of miles away?

(Laurie) #68

Deleted uncalled-for comment. Sorry.

(Randy) #69

I donā€™t celebrate myself. But I understand and respect itā€™s importance to others. As a child I loved Christmas. Because I wanted new toys. hahaha

(Sharon) #70

I will be hiking on Christmas morning then a picknic, I bring Cheese and Meats, I plan to stay keto. I have been mostly Carnivore the past few months. I do not drink anyway so no loss there and the Christmas ā€œtreatsā€ donā€™t even appeal to me these days. Just go back to your Keto way of eating then if after a couple low carb weeks if you want to fast go for it. Donā€™t make a bigger deal out it than it already is. Enjoy your holidayā€¦ no punishment needed (;

My Christmas strategy this year is just to not stress about it. Going to limit alcohol intake ā€“ but thatā€™s mostly because my wife is 8 months pregnant and I want to be ready to hit the road if I need to :slight_smile:

And will be enjoying a lot of great cheeses and cured meats ā€“ but wonā€™t avoid the clam chowder or deep-fried smelts and Christmas cookies, eitherā€¦

Gotta enjoy life, and stress over one or two days wonā€™t do me any good. Afterwards Iā€™ll get right back to my using keto / fasting schedule.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #72

Yummy. We donā€™t usually have access to smelts.

(KCKO, KCFO) #73

Not around here either, so jealous, I love those little beauties. :disappointed_relieved:

(Carl Keller) #74

Instead of leaving Santa milk and cookies this Christmas eve, I think I might leave him some pork rinds and bottled water. I just wonder if he would prefer spicy or plain?

They are awesome!! Start the tradition :slight_smile:

Our family is big Italian/Irish and we mostly keep to the catholic tradition of seafood dishes on Christmas eve. I think our family has been doing smelts as an appetizer at the big family party for decades.

Also on the menu is clam chowder, shrimp, smelts, smoked salmon, and lots of other little bites.

So good.

(Janelle) #76

Interesting - Iā€™m from a Catholic family but maybe because we come from a landlocked state, I think Christmas dinner was always ham.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #77

Iā€™m also from a large Catholic family and itā€™s always been ham. Turkey for Thanksgiving, Ham for Christmas!

(Laurie) #78

Mmm. Smelts. I havenā€™t eaten them for many many years.

I grew up beside Lake Ontario. Some men and boys would go down to the pier and catch the smelts in big square nets on poles. Their wives or mothers would clean them, then younger family members would go door to door selling them.

I never associated smelts with Christmas, but smelt season was quite a thing in our little town.

(Jane) #79

My husband can relate.

When he married me, he inherited my kids. My kids are good boys. Well-behaved, kind and considerate. My youngest and his gf came to visit for 3 days. My hermit husband managed it by staying out of my way as I cooked for my son and gf and went along with whatever I planned.

It was stressful for him but he reined it in and didnā€™t stress ME out.

The kids left this morning and I flew to Chicago this afternoon and he has the house back to himself, which I know makes him happy.

(Running from stupidity) #80

Good work him. Cha says I did pretty well when her parents were here, despite them being worse than last time :slight_smile: Man, itā€™s hard work though.

(Jane) #81

I know.

I was married to an extreme insecure alcoholic asshole for 20 years where I had to tiptoe on broken glass to keep from setting him off. He gave me my 2 kids so all is forgiven now that I donā€™t have to live with the jerk every day!!!

My present husband of 14 years is a kind and considerate man who never had kids of his own but loves and accepts me and mine. But he loves his peace and quiet and privacy and I try not to inflict my family on him more than twice a year. He is ok with that.