Christmas strategy

(David Cooke) #1

Hi, I am still a relative newbie after 8 weeks and I am happy with the results. I am keeping my carbs below 30, which seems to work for me, and have reached a comfortable plateau as far as weight loss is concerned, started running at the age of 70 to see how I’m getting on, better all the time.
SO although I won’t be actively seeking out carbs, I am planning on forgetting about Keto apart from no rice or bread and will be drinking low carb beers no doubt.
I may regret this.
What should I do after the orgy is finished? I fancy doing a 24 hour fast to get back on track, is that a good idea? Seems like an appropriate punishment.
Or should I just go back to a very strict Keto diet, relaxing back into what I was doing before over a period of a week or so?
Thanks

Hi David,

I’ve been thinking the same thing. I’m not really sure how best to go about the Christmas indulging either.
I’ll be interested in what people say, who’ve already done the Christmas thing!

(Alex ) #3

This year, I have actually told the family I am going to spend 2 days with friends, rather than get involved with all of the family indulgences. I have worked pretty hard this year on my weight, fitness and abstaining from alcohol, and I have a weight goal which is pretty close (still about 14 pounds to go) - I’m just not comfortable going through 3-4 days of the excess, and then feeling miserable about about it afterwards, and having carb and booze hangovers.

However, what I’m actually doing, is booking into a hotel that has a gym - and spending 2 days pampering, relaxing without any distractions.

Possibly a bit Grinch, but I don’t care.

I think a lot of pressure is put upon us during December to drink and eat to excess, let alone the financial pressure of unnecessary gifting. I’ve tried to make a stand against this in my family over the last few years, but I always get ignored, so this year, I’m doing what I said I would.

I should add, I don’t have kids to worry about, so this for me is attainable, and I will be flying into the New Year with a clear head and high levels of ketones!

Fast if you feel like it but it probably doesn’t pay to view it as a punishment. Back to keto is also fine IMHO :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll be doing my usual Christmas. Skip breakfast, probably go for a walk or bike ride or kayak, enjoy a lunch of Festivus fat head pizza & legit christmas pud with cream, take another walk & skip dinner. There will probably be a couple of extra low carb beers & then the next day it’s just business as usual.

If we’re hosting family/friends then things are slightly different but still largely low carb with a cheeky bit of christmas pudding.

(Alex ) #5

Exercise on Christmas Day - even just a walk is highly underrated!! even just to take in some oxygen amidst all that eating!

mmmmmm, I wonder if I can be keto for most of the time, until I want to consume SAD stuff. Then keto for a few days, then SAD again. Then keto for a few days etc etc etc.

Do you think this might work to stop me from regaining too much of the weight I’ve lost?

Of course the keto spells will have to be longer than say…2 days, so I get into ketosis.

(Thurston ) #7

I can only tell you that I did this st Thanksgiving and the price paid is way too high. Stick with keto or you may have a much harder time returning than you think.

(Ellen) #8

Like Alex I’ll be spending it alone, although at home not a hotel, so will just do a roast. If you decide to fast after don’t look at it as a punishment, you may find you naturally aren’t hungry after. Whatever you do, have a good xmas.

(Alex ) #9

Sadly I live with the above mentioned parents, so needed a solid alibi !

(Alex ) #10

I would say, you’d be ok with turkey, pigs in blankets, a stock/meat juices based gravy, brussell sprouts, small amount of peas - and maybe 1 small glass of white wine, or a few vodkas - but anything with the slightest whiff of sweetness, it’s going to be carnage.

(Alex ) #11

definitely no christmas pudding and DEFINITELY no Baileys Truffle Ice Cream!

(Running from stupidity) #12

This.

I’m spending it at home by myself. My wife will go to my sister’s place - she likes noise and all that crap, and she’s welcome to it :slight_smile:

[spoiler]Fuckin hell[/spoiler]

(Vladaar Malane) #14

Fast through breakfast and lunch for a cheat day dinner works for me in Thanksgiving.

Now I didn’t go crazy in the cheat 1 slice pumpkin pie and sweet potato casserole normal portions but next day I lost a pound and didn’t feel like I gave anything up on holiday.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #15

I’ll do IF and OMAD leading up to Christmas Eve and post Christmas. Christmas eve going to a friends house for a party and taking london broil rare with sour cream horseradish sauce (homemade) so we are guaranteed to have something we all can eat. There are 4 of us and 3 are trol keto.

Christmas day will be cooking two prime ribs, one in the oven and a small one smoked and then seared since I have never smoked prime rib before. Will have leafy green salads and avocados. We are in control because we have no guests coming for Christmas day except one. And she eats what we serve. One carb daughter will get mac and cheese with the prime rib.

I’ve worked too hard at this to go back to carbs even low carb beer. I may have a glass or two of dry red wine (cab).

(David Cooke) #16

I should maybe have mentioned that here in rural Thailand I will be hosting 15 or so family members from around 24th December to 2 January. Plenty of meat and chilli but our also best rice. No way I can show my face without having bottles poked in my direction or food. Maybe I’ll just go on an alcohol diet and nor eat at all.

Whatever … enjoy the holidays!

(Running from stupidity) #17

I think you’re meant to call it an “Alcohol Fast.”

Oooooo that’s the Christmas for me!!

(Bob M) #19

I personally will limit the number of times I partake, but will partake. I make bread from Einkorn wheat (non-hybridized), and I’ll have some of that. I’ll eat mainly meat and will avoid most desserts, but will partake of some on Christmas day and maybe New Year’s Eve. We have two vegetarians visiting, in a group of about 12 or more family members, and we host. The night before Christmas is sushi, and I’ll eat all fish. (I learned last year I can’t have soup from a sushi restaurant, as my blood sugar went through the roof after eating soup, with only vegetables and shrimp - hello corn starch.)

I may also have some actual pizza (sorry, folks, there’s nothing like New Haven-style pizza). I will likely have eggnog.

With all of this, I try to limit the amount and number of times I eat these off-keto foods. I’ll then fast at some point, perhaps before or after. I plan to do a 4.5 day fast from January 7-11.

(Janelle) #20

I don’t celebrate Christmas so thank goodness the sweets and temptations aren’t an issue but the crazy “it’s almost Christmas” junk fest at work has already started. I just walk on by because at Thanksgiving, I had two pieces of keto cheesecake and gained a couple of hard lost pounds.

Living life is what we’re here for though so I guess you accept the consequences and keto on if you decide to fall back into carbs.