Christmas strategy

(Karen) #21

I’m trying to stay as keto as possible, but I am attending one party after another, and the food is not close to Keto. Party last night. Ate some wings with ranch, scooped some nacho fillings off the top of the chips, I made one lettuce wrap but the sauce was a bit sweet. The boss and ordered always heavy apps had to eat some. Party again tonight.

(Janelle) #22

It’s hard, isn’t it? And then big guys jump in and tell you it’s easy - just stick to ribeyes. :roll_eyes:

(Ellen) #23

Dagnamit @Alex_PN, can’t stop thinking about pigs in blankets now, might have to wander to the shop.

(Janelle) #24

We did some with a keto dough. Not bad.

(Alex ) #25

Aldi are doing supersized ones @Elle79

check these [spoiler]fuckers[/spoiler] out!

https://www.aldi.co.uk/2-giant-pigs-in-blankets/p/086891258311000

(Karen) #26

The best thing about food is sharing special dishes with family. Lovely picture.

(Ellen) #27

Oh my! Aldi is approx 30 sec walk from Mum’s, that’s lunch & tomorrows driving snack sorted :grin:

(Alex ) #28

Yeah! If you cooked both from the pack, that’s 2 foot of pig in blanket!

(John) #29

I will chime in here to suggest that your initial impulse - a 24 fast afterwards, may be a good approach to help “reset” your metabolism back to fat-burning quickly. It’s not that drastic - you are only skipping 2 meals in a row.

You eat your big Christmas dinner and then whatever time it is that your finish your last bit of pie or pudding for dessert, set an alarm timer on your phone for 23 hours later. That’s when you can start preparing your next meal.

Having that plan in mind will halt any possible “oh just one more day won’t hurt” mindset and get you back to your healthier way of eating quickly and will not allow bad habits time to retrench.

Also - I recommend not viewing fasting as “punishment” or viewing your “orgy” of eating as a reward. Best to disentangle food from the pleasure/punishment mind-set, and view it as a source of fuel and nutrition without emotional or moral implications.

(Ken) #30

One or two days of eating, no matter what the macro, is biochemically insignificant. Eat however you want, but don’t interpret unscientific Virtue Signaling as a positive. Fanatical denial of carbs is not a positive, only nutty.

(Bob M) #31

I tend to treat holidays the same way I treat special occasions: partake, but keep it on the low side of partaking. For birthdays, for instance, we’ll buy a small (the smallest) ice cream cake, that we (family of 4) eat at one sitting. That limits the damage.

Similarly, holidays can be good, as if you don’t overbuy carbs, you can end up with few to no leftovers.

I also think Dr. Fung’s idea of “feasting then fasting” comes into play, too. (Sorry – I know fasting is apparently verboten now, but it’s useful at times.) You indulge (somewhat) and then use fasting to get you back into a good metabolic state, quickly.

But carbs are everywhere. I went to a religious retreat, and often either had nothing to eat, or had to have a breakfast of sausages, skip lunch, concentrate on what little meat they had for dinner. At some point, you might have to give in.

(Alex ) #32

I’m sure I read somewhere a couple of years ago that the average person will consume something in the region of 6-7,000 calories on Christmas Day - I’ve read this from multiple sources too.

That’s a lot of energy units going in when you consider a pound of body fat is worth approximately 3,500 calories - think a fasting day or two is a great idea after that sort of intake!

(Kate ) #33

Festivus Fat Head Pizza for the holiday win! :grinning:

(Kate ) #34

Since my husband and I are doing keto together, we are taking dishes that we can eat to our party destinations. We will probably bring a veggie tray and brussels sprouts with bacon.

I can withstand temptation if I have a bourbon in hand, as well. :smiley:

(Bob M) #35

Speak of the devil (Dr. Fung):

https://idmprogram.com/surviving-all-of-the-holiday-parties/

(Bob M) #36

Oops, that’s Megan Ramos.

(Vladaar Malane) #37

Ha ha, if you must buy a desert buy a gross one.

edit referenced the article link @ctviggen had, in case peeps wonder what in the world I was saying.

(Laurie) #38

I don’t celebrate Christmas–too much everything! Food, people, expense, junk (gifts), drunks, the list goes on.

@Alex_PN, great strategy! You’re being your own best friend, with a little help from your friends in the hotel.

I had neighbors who usually spent their Christmas holidays on a tropical island, relaxing in the sun. They both had low-paying jobs, but I guess they got a good deal. Then one year the man told me they decided to stay home and have people over. He said it was horrible, it cost more than their annual trip, and it was loads of work.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #39

So we have our first holiday party tomorrow night. A progressive dinner party.

Heavy appetizers at first house and deserts at the 2nd. BYOB. My wife and oldest daughter and I will be attending and we are all keto. There should be some keto food at the first house. At least cheese and salami or similar. I’m grilling a rare london broil bathed in amish butter. I will let it cool and then slice it. Horseradish sauce and we are good to go. I can eat the beef and cheese. There will be a veggy plate and that will be good for me.

I will either IF 18/6 overnight tomorrow or might just OMAD tomorrow. I am two houses away from the desert house and will disappear soon after making a showing at the desert house. I IF 18/6 today and OMAD the day before.

Wife wants wine so I will bring a bottle and give her a glass. That is all she usually drinks. I wish I had that control.

I hope to not drink any because there has been a lot of non-holiday celebrations recently (graduate school completion for oldest, a fantastic summer job for youngest, you get the picture) and wine is the vehicle to celebrate.

Test #1 tomorrow. Wish me luck.

(Running from stupidity) #41

Not just you, it seems to happen to a lot of people.