Chocolate peanut butter bars VERY low carb by Zorn

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #1

NEW KETOCANDY BY ZORN
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup finely crushed pork rinds, like pork rind flour
1/2 cup peanut butter. (Be smart and choose a unsweetened non-hydrogenated one)
1 teaspoon almond extract
MIX.
Add sweetener to taste. (I’m using Truvia until I can order some powdered Swerve cuz as soon as I use up all the stevia in my house I’m not buying it anymore. That shit is insulinogenic.)

MIX AGAIN.

SPREAD/PRESS into a 8x8 pan.
Topping:
Melt part of a 100% cocoa chocolate bar with half as much coconut oil and add liquid sweetener to taste. I used liquid sucralose. Make enough topping to pour/spread on top.
CHILL until set. Cut into squares.
NOM NOM NOM NOM
Cut into 12 squares these are less than 2 grams net carbohydrate each

Keto is Freedom
(Becky) #2

Wow! this looks yummified! I have all of these ingredients in the house!

Forgive me, I get the terms confused, do you mean stevia shows a jump on the home blood glucose meter or is the jump only evident in the lab test? I ask because I’m using and loving sukrins stevia/erithytol (sp) mix and have done the finger prick test every half hour for 2 hours and didn’t see a jump. But it tastes oh so good, I’m suspicious…lol.

(TJ Borden) #3

Thanks Brenda. I know what I’m making tomorrow. The challenge will be not eating the whole batch.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #4

Make a half batch. Then go for it. LOL

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #5

I mean there’s been cases where Stevia has been shown to create an insulin release so the term insulinogenic. It’s important to note it did not happen in all people. Apparently from what I’ve been studying almost all sweeteners cause an insulin release some worse than others. Stevia is a bigger offender. If you seemed fine with it don’t worry about it. There are no home insulin meters, and I don’t have the cash to pay a lab to follow me that closely. So basically anything that I suspect or have been told as insulinogenic I’m going to avoid right now because of my history of insulin resistance. It’s very important to me that I keep my insulin as low as possible all the time.

(What The Fast?!) #6

I’m allergic to peanut butter and even I can tell you are a genius mastermind when it comes to ketofying food. I crown you the Pork Rind Queen! :crown: :bacon: :princess:

(Mary Jo Koplos) #7

Brenda, where do you get your pork rinds? Do you know what they are fried in?

(Melanie Armistead) #8

I’m sure almond or hazelnut butter will work just as well!

(What The Fast?!) #9

I use Bake-n-ets when I need to crush them. @brenda what about you?

(Janet) #10

My understanding is Truvia has a small amount of stevia plant extract…that part is highly processed, rest is erythritol. Miriam Kalamian recommends http://pyureorganic.com/about/what-is-pyure/ , supposedly better, but the best part is Walmart now sells it. Can pick it up anytime time at my neighborhood grocery store, it is pretty fine already but can always powder it in a processor or coffee grinder, I don’t have problems with it. I’m not a big baker, but it worked well in Xmas cookies.

(Georgia) #11

I love chocolate and peanut butter. Can’t wait to try these. I even bought a silicone mold from Amazon to make PB cups. i’m definitely going to try this recipe.

Thanks Brenda! You’re a keto rock star!

(Brian) #12

I haven’t seen chocolate peanut butter bars with pork rinds before. I made a version (without the pork rinds) for Christmas dinner with friends and they were some good eats.

But chocolate peanut butter is my blood type! :smiley:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

Only fried in the pork lard itself. I buy Turkey Creek brand or Brims brand (at the Dollar Tree store) or Clancey’s brand from ALDI. I despise Bakenets, too mushy for me. Bad flavor too.

I took some photos to show how much they crush down.

(What The Fast?!) #14

I’ll check for this brand! The other kinds we get are fresh from the grocery store or Guerrero - but they both have meat/fat on them so not great for crushing.

(Mary Jo Koplos) #15

That’s great news. Since you are local to me I should be able to find them. Been buying from Thrive Market but the are spendy.

(Becky) #16

Thanks for explaining that there is not a way to test insulin at home. I am beginning to understand the benefits of keeping my insulin low and how ‘grazing’ even on low carb foods is not good for me because every time I eat, insulin is spiked.

Even though I don’t get a response on the home glucose test, I still notice that when I avoid sweeteners all together, there is less obsession about food, thus less grazing.

(Erin Macfarland ) #17

No way I could eat just one

(Brian) #18

I said that about some keto muffins I made a while back. And so I decided I was gonna eat the second one. I didn’t make it through the second one before I was telling myself that I’d have been perfectly well satisfied with just one.

Sometimes these high fat desserts are quite filling and we really don’t end up wanting to eat nearly as much as we may think in the beginning.

(Arlene) #19

I use this product line of sweeteners too, with no rise in glucose, and no effect on ketones. I do start craving sweets,however so I don’t make sweet treats often.

(Erin Macfarland ) #20

I’ve been keto for most of the past three years and have many run ins with keto desserts. I can attest to the fact that i can easily eat an entire batch, especially when PB is involved!