Chiles Rellenos

mexican
chiles
rellenos

This recipe is the ultimate Tex Mex comfort food. This is probably the longest recipe post ever…but, all these steps are soooooo worth it. Because keto recipes are so boring, right? :smirk:

Ingredients:
2 poblano peppers
150 grams Oaxaca cheese (or mozzarella as an alternative)
2 eggs, whites and yolks separated
1/8 to 1/4 cup cup almond flour
1 teaspoon almond flour
Approximately 1 cup tallow (or lard or oil for frying)
20 grams cotija cheese (or feta as an alternative) (optional)
1/2 cup enchilada sauce (optional)

First start with scorching the skins of the poblano peppers in a hot pan

Don’t be afraid of the browning and blistering of the peppers as this is necessary to remove the skins

When all sides are done, put the peppers in a bowl

Cover the bowl with a plate. This will trap the heat and moisture, and the peppers will continue to cook in the steam

After 5 to 10 minutes steaming, the peppers are ready to be skinned

Gently remove the skins with your hands or lightly scraping with the edge of a knife

Cut a slit and with a spoon, empty out the seeds and any stringy material. Set the peppers aside.

In the next step, you will prepare the Oaxaca cheese for the filling

Oaxaca is like mozzarella cheese tied into a knot

Undo the knot

Pull the cheese apart, making long strings

This is what you will end up with…a plate full of Oaxaca cheese strings

Stuff the peppers with the Oaxaca stringed cheese

Add about 1/4 cup almond flour to a dish

Roll the stuffed peppers in the almond flour. Add more flour to the dish if you see that you need it

Add the tallow (or other grease for frying) to the pan and turn up heat

Take the two eggs and separate them into two bowls as shown

Take a whisk and beat the egg whites to stiff peak. It only takes 2 minutes beating by hand…you may wish to use an electric mixer (I don’t because I hate dirtying more dishes!!)

Add 1 teaspoon almond flour to the yolks, as well as some salt and pepper (about 1/8 teaspoon each). mix the egg yolks until flour, salt and pepper is well blended

Add the egg yolk mixture to the egg whites

With a spatula, fold the egg yolks into the egg whites. Use proper folding technique to keep the batter fluffy. DON’T STIR…you must fold to keep batter airy and light.

Set the batter aside and wait for the grease to come to temperature for frying

While you are waiting for the grease to heat up, you can prepare the Cotija cheese crumbles

Cut a small piece of cotija cheese and place in a dish

With your fingers, break it down into small crumbled bits. Set the crumbles aside - they will be used later as garnish

Test the oil by sprinkling some almond flour. If the oil bubbles immediately when you add almond flour, it is ready for frying

Drop the stuffed poblano peppers in the batter, and coat all sides

Transfer the battered poblano peppers into the hot grease. If there are any bare patches missing batter, fill them in using a spoon. The batter is very forgiving and easy to correct while the peppers are frying

It only takes a couple of minutes for one side to turn a nice light brown. Gently flip the pepper onto the other side when it is ready

You can use a spoon to ladle hot grease onto any parts that you see that may not be browning as fast as you like (the batter is very forgiving and easy to adjust during the frying process)

When both sides of the pepper is browned adequately, remove from the hot grease

Here’s how I plated the Chiles Rellenos - I added an enchilada sauce (that I made with a couple tablespoons of strained tomatoes, a teaspoon butter, and a bit of oregano, cumin and Cholula hot sauce). You can add any sauce you desire, or serve with sour cream and guacamole as an alternative. I also sprinkled the crumbled Cotija cheese and drizzled a bit of extra virgin olive oil

Close up

Nice ooey gooey melty cheese center

The perfect bite…pulling a long trail of delicious melted cheese

What did you Keto today?
(Jeremy Storie) #2

Omg! :grin:

(KB Keto) #3

you had me at stuffing the cheese inside. I could stop there and be happy! haha

(James storie) #4

You are a genius!

(Jill Bowman) #5

Thanks for posting this. Last year I wasn’t Keto and hadn’t yet thought about my ‘flour’ option. I make these a lot during Hatch Chile season and we’re just a couple of months away!! :smiley::smiley:

(jilliangordona) #6

Omg YES I miss Mexican foods so much… so excited to make this.

Question, I have some leftover queso blanco in my fridge… am I right in saying that won’t work since it doesn’t melt as well??

I would still use queso blanco. It has a different texture profile, but still delicious in the chiles rellenos.

Made these last night… just like the real deal! Thanks so much…