Cheryl's 90 Day Carnivore Challenge: Started on Nov 01 going through to Feb 29, 2020

(Liz ) #936

Hi folks! I read this whole thread :slight_smile: I’m 10 days into animal foods only. March 8 I will be 3 years Keto. Mid 2018 my dad passed & literally overnight my husband & I left our home 30 miles away to move in with & care for my elderly mother. I’m the cook and everyone eats Keto, that’s great. But now I’m trying Keto animal foods (or KetoAF which makes me giggle) and sort of cooking two dinners every night, one for me and one for my husband & mom. So far it’s been fine tho.

Though I was strict Keto I knew I had been eating too often out of emotional need & I regained 15 pounds over the years. I’m 50 and I’m sure hormones are messing me up. In the past I would fast to get control of insulin levels again & take off a few pounds. I had perfected my fasting technique but since dad died, I could feel the cortisol spikes of the new very stressful situation and fasting seemed to make that worse so KetoAF seemed the only way I could regain control of my compulsive eating.

Right away I felt so much better! Hunger & satiety signals coming back online, no more obsessive thoughts about food. Lost 3 pounds of bloat right away. Phew! So I’m sticking with it.

BUT two nights ago I had the WORST abdominal pain ever, which faded over 24 hours. I figure this is detox? Because last night I woke up with the pain returning somewhat but also in every atom of my body, after years of pain-free Keto living, I feel like one big ache!! Is this toxins? Oxalates? I’m doing all the electrolytes & water. I still drink tea & coffee & a small amount of cheese/ghee/butter. I hope this will pass! I was looking through threads on carnivore start up side effects & didn’t exactly see this one. I’d normally think it was the flu but my temperature is just fine. Any advice? Experiences to share? Thanks!!

but but but you and me are still super sweet tho :slight_smile: :innocent:
hey I love the non bug attacks truly…walking a trail in the woods others get nailed, I just don’t have that hardly anymore, I love it LOL

WOW WOW on your steak not hurting your tummy. Whatever spice/herb they are sprinkling on these steaks don’t agree with you but asking for nothing extra on your steak before cooking is great~now you know you can survive out there in restaurant land. Cool

Ahhhh your hubby thinks he can ‘come into your realm’ and make real convo about it HAHA

My hubby did this also. He was questioning me in ways also and I was like, either eat with me and learn or stop nagging me and he was like, nagging? and I said, umm, yea nagging LOL He shut up about it.

It is a strange way to eat. I mean many never will understand this level of lifestyle. But man when you are in it, getting the benefits from it and life improves etc…then you can’t think of not eating this way and we thrive on it! My hubby still doesn’t get it, I mean I tried the ‘low carb’ talk with him etc and he just won’t put in the brain power at all. 0 interest in it. he is a carby eater and always will be but at least I got him to ‘low carb’ it a bit more thru the years so that is good. Gonna change him, nope. ain’t happening…your hubby was smart to change the subject fast, ya had him out maneuvered LOL

(traci simpson) #938

Wow. I just can’t eat that much. For lunch I had 7.35 ounces of ground sausage and two eggs, and a cup Of coffee.

(Edith) #939

A common thing mentioned on the oxalate forums is that people will have a honeymoon period when they first switch to a low oxalate diet and feel great. Then after a few days, to a week, to more for some people, the symptoms of oxalate dumping will start. It could be what you are experiencing, especially if you were eating high oxalate foods on keto: spinach (and certain other greens), berries, nuts (esp. almonds), peanuts, etc.

This is a list of dumping symptoms people have experienced in the Trying Low Oxalate group on Facebook. Of course, no one has all those symptoms. I definitely get crusty eyes, cloudy urine, overall achiness, back pain, fatigue, diarrhea, and when I had the big oxalate dump this past December I had some kidney pain.

If you think your trouble might be oxalates, the group suggests cutting back on oxalate slowly to slow down the dumping. For some people, the dumping can have serious health/life implications. I wanted to stick to carnivore as much as possible so I added a little oxalate back in by drinking black tea and eating a few raspberries or strawberries.

Some of the symptoms we frequently hear about are:
Bloated stomach
Stomach pain/nausea
Sandy / light coloured stool
Burning stool
Black specks / white crystals in stool
Diarrhea / Constipation / alternating diarrhea and constipation
IBD
Cloudy urine
IC
Bladder pain
Kidney pain
Lower back pain
Gallbladder pain
*vulvadnyia *
Frequent urination
Chronic UTI’s
Kidney stones
Insomnia
Air hunger
Heart palpitations
Peripheral neuropathy
Burning tongue / mouth
Weight loss / gain
Flu like symptoms
Dry cough / phlegmy cough
Sore throat
Sinus issues
Headache
Asthma
Odd sensations (fullness) / plugged ears
Vertigo and dizzyness
Tinnitus
Fluctuations in hearing
Burning / red / gritty / crusty eyes
Floaters in eyes
Burning feet/ skin
*Joint pain *
Muscle twitching
Frozen shoulder
Back / neck pain
Achy all over
Rashes
Psoraisis flares
*Cold sores *
Irritability
Fatigue
Anxiety
Panic
Brain fog
Depression
Anger / sudden rage

(Liz ) #940

Thank you so much!! This must be it. I was eating almonds occasionally but the reason I went carnivore at all is because I was deep in the grips of a (no sugar) chocolate spiral for a couple weeks & I knew I had to stop cold turkey. I guess I hoped since I still drink coffee & tea it wouldn’t be so extreme!! But everyone is different.

Here’s what I can’t find so far in my research here, if I stay steady on carnivore, do you know if there’s a time period for the oxalates to finish cycling through? It’s uncomfortable but so far does not feel dangerous so I’d prefer to tough it out if it’s like, a few weeks and get over to the other side ASAP, you know? Maybe this is naive lol

thanks again!!

(Edith) #941

Unfortunately, everyone is different and I would imagine it depends upon how long you ate a lot of oxalate containing food and how much you stored up in your body. (Sigh… dark chocolate is also high oxalate, btw)

I’ve seen mention that it can take some time, as in years, but that the dumping episodes become less frequent and less severe over time.

This thread has our most recent discussion on oxalates. If you search ther forum there will be other threads that pop up where we also discussed this topic.

(Liz ) #942

Thanks kindly for taking the time & posting resources. I’ve been reading all the threads. I guess I just need to wait and see!! Because i am sticking with animal foods for the indefinite future. I’m hoping to clear life-long acne.

(Edith) #943

Definitely, try not having dairy. Dairy can be a big contributer to acne.

Here’s a few articles, but there are many more.
https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/325580

https://jandonline.org/article/S0002-8223(09)01867-7/abstract

(Liz ) #944

Thank you. I have been at this for many years having first gone low carb in 2003. When I go dairy free my face clears up for about two weeks and then everything goes back to the way it was. So that’s why I’m trying carnivore!

@Ketodaisy Well I sure do hope the skeeters around here ignore me this year, lol. Even being strict keto for 3 years didn’t keep them away from me, grrr. I hope carnivore/pkd does the trick. So glad you were able to go to Texas Roadhouse and enjoy a good steak without those nasty side-effects afterwards. :+1:

As your hubby sees a younger, healthier you happening in front of him that will be all the advertisement you need to get him back into taking better control of his health. You’re doing so good that he doesn’t stand a chance, lol.

LOL you a lightweight HAHA

yea I am absolutely the 2 lb. food meat person per day. I always get in a lb. steak and after that I eat another lb. of some meats :slight_smile: I don’t do coffee, never liked it. Just water for me.

food yesterday was

1.5 lb. ribeye steak
small cheeseburger patty
1 chicken breast

woke up this morning ever so not hungry LOL
my steak was so good yesterday. such contentment :slight_smile:

all going well.

Husbands often find it difficult to eat due to a mouthful of foot.

Fab experiment result! So the gut pain trigger was in the seasonings?

Ahh, Fangsy cleared it up.

I had heard Dr Zsofia Clemens the Paleo Medicina doc mention (in passing) about the detail of removing seasonings in the diets of her patients. I have a tickle in my brain about celery salt being mentioned as a culprit for gut pain reactions in some people. Has anyone else got a more solid reference about celery salt?

I mentally pictured the servery bar in the kitchen with the smoke alarms going off.

Salty bone broth 9 am and half a roast duck breast

Had 2 coffees today (another computer day) with cream

Made 4 x omelettes with 2 eggs in each fried in ghee
roast duck breast to total about 300g
200g jar of liver pate
2 omelettes for lunch breakfast at 2pm
And 2 for the road trip home to the country

Supplements = magnesium citrate 600mg plus 500mg Vitamin B3 Nicotinamide morning and night plus a small dose of zinc. Some days I also add 4000mg fish oil and 1000mg krill oil.

I’ve been having some oxalate dumping symptoms now that I am back in the ketocarnivore groove: joint pain in hands and feet, crusty eyes, pin & needles prickling feeling on my face, Occasional heart palpitations. But I add extra magnesium as the magnesium ion binds the free oxalate. It seems to work. An extra 300mg of magnesium citrate at lunch helps. The magnesium doses are for elemental magnesium (the mg does not include the citrate salt)

FB I saw that coffee is high oxalate but the list of ‘worst offenders’ was instant coffee so I have no clue if ground fresh coffee is the same as instant cause I am not a coffee hound at all, hate the stuff and never bothered with it in life.

just saying

but seems like you are working thru the toxin dumps with your body so that is a good thing! Reading up on ox dump again and I have to say it can be quite nasty. I was so low carb, extreme low and into carnivore for years now so all that nasty is over for me, I forgot reading about how it can be for others as such a rough journey.

reading your food you are doing so darn good!!

I haven’t had duck in so long. Always loved it. Not an easy buy around here, not many stores carry it, just not a local area purchase. I told my hubby over and over to take up duck hunting cause he is a hunter and he won’t do it. has no interest in duck hunting, like omg, go do it for me so I can fill my freezer with yummy duck LOL but sadly he doesn’t wanna do it. bleck.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #952

I had two lamb cutlets and the damn things were tiny :pensive:. So I also had three boiled eggs and a hunk o f brie. I thought it looked really small but I was so full. Wish the cutlets had have been bigger though. I’m sort of addicted to lamb right now. I love it rare and juicy.:blush::yum:

key thought there B is eat the meat :slight_smile: and not what one might think LOL cause longer on plan I can tell easily ‘small amt of meat’ is not good enough for me.

fry up always more than ya think cause no telling what the appetite your body wants will be :slight_smile:

Made my own coffee and it shows in the link below.

Yes we are FB. Why I also think that one has to be very committed to a plan change. You must want these lifestyles of keto and zero carb. I mean keto and zero carb give up a lot, well keto not as much but thing is there is a ton of crap in the world around us at all times. But the thing is that makes it ok for me is truly that the food being offered is getting SO MIUCH worse out there. Chemical product fake food. I mean if one truly dissects what is in this stuff it would truly make us sick to see it let alone really want to eat it. At least that is where I am at, I am more valuable to myself than sucking down fake chemical processed foods. I put the value on me, not some easter candy or mass produced restaurant slop :slight_smile:

It just boils down to personal choices with food in our lives. Where do you want to be? How do you want to live your life? What do you want to suck down your gob on a daily basis? It is just a super personal choice of how you wanna roll is the final end of it all for me. I committed to how I want to roll and am doing just that for myself. I think everyone has to hit that crossroad decision of how they wanna progress thru their years into their older years. Older years is when all the bad eating catches up with ya LOL and we have to do something about it. Might as well pick something and commit if you truly want great body changes to happen :slight_smile:

but yea FB, I swear almost everything in life works against us instead of with us LOL