Cheapest keto meals

(Jessica Greening) #1

Keto can get pretty expensive at times. Unfortunately we have to cut our food budget and I am determined to keep our family keto. If anyone has any cheap keto meals to throw at me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

(Jo) #2

How many people in your family?

And do you have an Aldi nearby? LOTS of saving there. Also look to see if you have an ethnic market, by me, our Asian market has amazing deals and pretty decent quality. In my previous city, there was a great Hispanic market i shopped at. These are typically non branded mom and pop shops, but i’ve always noticed big discounts there.

Then from there - on to the recipes!

(Renee Slaughter) #3

My neighborhood market marks dowm their meats by 50%. I go early morning to pick up bargains. Ask your meat person if they have something simular

(Jessica Greening) #4

Just three of us right now thank goodness. I never really thought about going to ethnic markets before. I kinda figured it was mostly noodles and rice and other carby things we don’t eat.

(Jo) #5

At both of my markets - full selection of beef, chicken and pork. I wasn’t happy with the frozen seafood - Panmeai or something like that - i might have gotten unlucky, or i might be a seafood snob, but other than that, it has been a great money saving experience! Just sometimes you have to shop a little -

Ie the better cut of steak might not be on top- there can be swings in that kind of thing, but if you are willing to spend the extra 5-10 minutes looking through the meat case, it yields results… :heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

Intermittent (fasting) can help reduce food bills.

(Jessica Greening) #7

Both my husband and I do that for lunches already. I still make dinner and breakfast (Which is free farm eggs and bacon so not a huge cost there) cause our little one doesn’t fast of course.

(Stan Brooks) #8

Look at picnic hams. This time of year they tend to be about a dollar a pound.

(Boston_guy) #9

Hard-boiled eggs are good handy snacks (5 minutes in the instapot), can be gussied up/flavors added to change it up.

(Tovan Nhsh) #10

A favorite meal of mine for the past year or so is a large head of cabbage, butter, bone broth, salt & the sausage of your choice in a crock pot. Cook it low for 4-ish hours & it’s ready to go. It’s also enough food to eat off of for a couple days (this includes myself, my wife & our kids). All total it’s ten dollars or less.

Keep you meals simple with meat and veggies/ salads.

A local grocery store here has sales every week & they always mark down meats way cheap. If it’s something I like, I go buy a bunch and freeze it all so I can make meals for a while.

(Brian) #12

It’s longer term but some can do well with gardening. Chickens can work for some, too. Both cost to get going but with good management can really make a difference.

If you eat salads, you can grow microgreens in a window.

Good luck. Good food is expensive.

(Jo O) #13

Get the apps for your favorite grocery stores. You can plan better comparison shopping knowing their sales plus digital coupons.
I was surprised to find grass fed ground beef on sale at a few.

Usually the larger quantity family pack is cheaper than individually packaged meats/cheeses.
I will buy a large pork butt/shoulder, slow cook it or pressure cook it aka Richard’s shredded beef. Portion it out for the freezer for weekly meals. Then for the meal, season or sauce whatever way you want (Mexican, Italian, Southern bbq…)

(Stan Brooks) #14

And ten minutes on the stove top.

I shop at at Walmart for 90% of my stuff, right there the savings is redic, plus their savings catcher app scans all the stores in your area and if it WAS cheaper somewhere else they give it back to you. You can literally shop organic at Walmart cheaper than retail costs of the non-organic stuff in a normal supermarket. Discount places like Trader Joes, Aldi, Lidl if you have them are good for a ton of stuff. I’m live in Supermarket hell and have most chains within 12 seconds of my house so I bounce around a lot to save money where I can. Drop the money on an InstantPot and then buy cheap cuts of meat like chuck roasts and they come out like prime rib! Plus you could also start doing some breakfast skipping.

(Trish) #16

Not sure where you are, but if you can get the Flipp app for your phone. It shows you all your local flyers. Then shop at a store that price matches and show the cashier the lower price at x store that they need to match. I buy pretty much nothing at full price anymore. Just tap on an item from the flyer pic and it creates your shopping list. Also has an easy search feature so you can see who if anyone has item x on sale. It’s a pretty awesome app. It’s also free.

(Troy) #17

This

If you are unable to hit the given sales in a day of shopping ( saves gas money too for most )…if your stores are all close
If not , you can then go on a different day

For example, just running an errand, other shopping , socializing etc
You can just pin the grocery store on your route to or on ur way home.

It will not only save you money, it will help on the stress levels or forgetting to go to that big sale grocery find😄

HUGE BENEFIT…have more Family time and Keto recipe time
A win - win

Enjoy

(Rob) #18

Several US Supermarkets have web apps for delivery that you sign up for. I used to do delivery when I was all gouty but the value of the app is really to see current pricing in the store. Signing up also gets you personalized offers, frequently about what you already buy.

For instance, I was sent a personal offer all month for 1lb of bacon for $4.07 (super cheap for San Francisco) while the in store price has varied from $5.99 to 7.99. This is cheaper than the large 3lb packs they also sell. I am walking over and buying as much as I can be bothered to carry every few days and I’ll do it all this all month…

Today they sent me special pricing on Kerrygold, skin-on chicken thighs, Mio water enhancer, Mexican frying cheese, sausages, as well as all the stuff I used to buy… (lots of pizzas, ice cream and other carbage). I’ve saved a lot this way.

I am an "interesting" patient whose just had my 44th thru 46th TIAs in the last 3 weeks

I like eggs and right now at Walmart a box of 5 dozen eggs is only around $7 or so. They can be used for cheese omelets, egg salad, quiches, etc.
Also if you learn to can you can buy stuff when it is cheap and can it for future meals. I canned two turkeys at Thanksgiving when turkeys were 57 cents a pound.
Also there is a farmer’s market I go to sometimes and they have very inexpensive prices on a lot of veggies.

(Garry (Canada)) #20

I like to buy fresh cheap fatty roasts when they’re on sale at local grocery stores @$2.99/lb. (No they’re not grass fed!)

When I get them home, I slice them up into stewing beef pieces and freeze them with the vacuum bags into individual cooking portions. Usually about 600g each. (300g/person)
This makes it very cost effective and easy to use when needed, compared to buying typical dry (lean) stewing beef @$5.99/lb.

Secondly, I don’t think it was mentioned, but a Costco membership really saves a lot of money being on Keto…at least for me. The Oils/Cheeses/Flours/Nuts/Seeds/etc savings add up quick compared to regular grocery stores…plus they have the best (and cheapest) take home lunch/dinner anywhere. Fresh roasted Rotisserie chicken!