Cheap butter

(Sophie) #41

It is mostly fat after all, and any fat can be frozen without problem. :+1:

Interesting. Never knew/considered this. If so, itā€™s apparently small amount. Hereā€™s a more recent article, for what itā€™s worth.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/help-kerrygold-grass-fed-butter-be-more-bulletproof/

(Sophie) #43

My understanding is that the European Union had outlawed all GMOā€™s. And I know that doesnā€™t include some backhanded dealers, etc. but that has to be a relatively small amount.

I donā€™t believe that, especially on canned goods. Monsanto has the ability to creep through the cracks in anything!

(Sophie) #45

Yes, Monsanto is a bastard! Especially with the world getting smaller by the day.

(Doug) #46

Monsanto manufactured PCBs, up until around the time their production was banned in the U.S., 1979. That fact has provided much of my employment for the past 33 years - we get rid of them.

ā€œIn the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist.ā€ --President Eisenhower, 1961.

Within the ā€œindustrialā€ part, pharmaceutical and agribusiness/chemical companies are not on our side. Itā€™s depressing how their influence can come at us from all sides, but at least information about how the individual can take better care of themselves is getting out.

(Suzi Smotrycz-Guilford) #47

My husband works at a local rural history museum and one of the perks is that he is able to order Cabot cheese and butter a couple of times a year. Itā€™s great to be able to stick a case of butter in the freezer and not have to worry about grocery shopping for it!!

(Sophie) #48

I freeze my cheap butter buys too. Every time I see Kerry Gold 2/$5 I get $20-30 bucks worth and hoard it. Iā€™ve even trained my hubby to grab it up if he sees it on sale! :smile:

(Ken) #49

Uh, I take it nobody here was raised on a Dairy Farm. Virtually all dairy cattle are ā€œgrass fedā€. Ya gotta admire creative marketing to boost profit levels. Get a 50% markup with two words. Make sure you look for the pork rinds marked ā€œgluten freeā€ so you get the real healthy ones. I see my local Walmart now carries grass fed hamburger. It looks like a great deal at $6 per pound. I just stocked up with Landā€™oā€™ Lakes butter at $1.88 per lb.

Iā€™d rather splurge when Brie and Camenbert goes on saleā€¦

Thatā€™s not the case these days unfortunately. Ever driven up the I-5 in Central California? There are vast swaths on both sides of the freeway with feed lot dairy farms with cows only on manure and dirt. Itā€™s very grim and abusive. In addition, theyā€™re loaded with antibiotics and BST hormonal manipulation so their udders are painfully overloaded among other things. The stench of such industrial facilities goes on for miles. A whole other world than the small grassfed family farm where each cow is known by name, and animals are considered part of the fam!!!

I do believe that the quality of a nation is in how it treats non-humans as well as women & children.

On the bright side, Costcoā€™s Kerrygold is a great deal - and Organic Valley family farms butters are often deeply discounted in winter.

(Ken) #51

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/dairy/uploader/postings/feedsummarydata/Default.aspx

Letā€™s not get nutty about this. Efficient farming is based on Science.

(Troy) #52

Ok w vital farms
I decided to give this brand a tastingšŸ˜ƒ
They had sea salt, salted and unsalted

On sale for $2.99, so had to buy!:heart_eyes:

Butter is butter. The keto snobs out there might chastise you for using anything but Kerrygold, but it really doesnā€™t matter in the grand scheme of things. Lots of people experience great success doing keto on a budget. Do what works for you, the results wonā€™t lie.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #54

This. Get your macros right, adhere 90% of the time and the results come, fancy butter or not. Eat better. Thatā€™s all.

Full confession: I have two three packs of KG in my fridge.

(Troy) #55

Yup
Thanks
I have 4 packs as well of KG
2 in the refrigerator, and 2 in the freezer :smile:

I just wanted to try the above
KG $2.88
VF $2.99

So, this is all ā€œ just my $.11 cents ā€œā€¦:slightly_smiling_face:

(Garry (Canada)) #56

Am I the only Canadian here???

For grass fed butter at the local grocery storesā€¦they want $11.00/lb vs the standard regular butter from 3 legged blind & deaf cows at $2.99/lb on sale.

PSā€¦ Itā€™s not going in my cart at that rediculous price!

I buy a lot of Kerrygold, but thatā€™s because itā€™s cheaper at under $3 than the stuff thatā€™s noticeably better. Smjor and Anchor both taste better to me but their $5+ each. The grass fed butters have the K2 and to me a much smoother butter-ier taste.

(Stacy Blanchard) #58

Good to know. Not everyone can afford grass fed.

(GINA ) #59

I like Kerrygold because it tastes and looks more like I remember butter tasting and looking when I ws a kid at my grandmaā€™s house.

(Pete A) #60

Iā€™m a regular consumer of Walmart grass fed hamburger. Bon appetit!