Chaffles

(Rebecca ) #736

Looks and sounds :yum:!!

Made some today for the first time (yeah typical me, one year behind the trend). Good stuff. Wondered if anyone tried melting the mozzarella like for fathead dough for the chaffles. I ran mine through the blender and it was a very nice consistency that made for good round ones. … maybe melting the cheese is unnecessary if the wafflemaker melts it. I guess I just have to experiment…

(KCKO, KCFO) #738

Someone has posted in the past about just placing some of the shredded cheese directly on the waffle iron. Makes a very crispy crust for them.

I don’t think I personally would do that. I like your idea about using a blender to mix things together. I just use a spatula when I do caffles. But I think they might turn out nicer with more blending.

I usually put my Dash mini-waffle maker on my kitchen scale and do layers when I make chaffles for savory applications:

• 10 grams shredded cheese
  • 25 grams beaten eggs
  • 10 grams shredded cheese

It gives them more structure, for use as a bread or bun.

But I will make a batter if I am doing a sweet application. Then, I usually need to spray the waffle maker to make sure things will come off nicely. I don’t need to do that when I have cheese top and bottom, as the cheese provides the fat to prevent sticking.

(Peter) #740

Even better, just use cheese slices (I slice my own) and put them directly on the plates. Works a treat.

Love that idea. Thanks

(Robin) #742

A friend gave me a Waffle BOWL iron. Finally I could try a chaffle!
Made one last night. OMG. Making chili today, to pour into them. Although, I could (and did) just eat one without anything else.

(Polly) #743

Chaffles are divine, aren’t they?

(Mame) #744

Just made a batch 9+ yesterday. Will be putting sausage gravy on them today…

(Robin) #745

Oh, sausage gravy! What a fabulous idea!

(Laurie) #746

I have a funny sausage gravy story. I’d never seen or heard of it until I stopped in a nice motel in Mississippi, that provided a buffet breakfast. I served myself a big bowl of something that looked like porridge (oatmeal). Yes, it was sausage gravy, and I was traumatized for life.

(Robin) #747

Lol… I would have been ADDICTED for life!

Last year, I made some eggs benedict using chaffles as the bread.

(KCKO, KCFO) #749

Those look delicious. I just ate and looking at them made me think " Icould go for some of that right NOW."

(Mame) #750

:thinking: you know I can’t remember the last time I made hollandaise sauce… and I have plenty of lemons and eggs…

(PJ) #751

Reminds me of the time my boss took me to the Magic Castle (California, for magicians) and in the dimly-lit pre-Christmas buffet I found chocolate mousse. Yum! Er… liver pate. OMG

Edited to add something on topic: I haven’t made a chaffle in years. Tomorrow I’m actually going to see if a typical mug cake recipe, plus cheese of course, will work. It should. I don’t like browned egg flavor at all but buried in a batter it’s ok. I was once so inspired by chaffles I bought a regular (not deep/belgian, but the oldstyle shallower) waffle maker. Time to dig it out!

(Bob M) #752

I’ve been back to making chaffles. It’s still nice to be able to pick up a sandwich at times. And I think eggs are healthy food, but one I generally don’t eat. Chaffles help me get eggs back into my diet.

(KCKO, KCFO) #753

Lucky you to find liver pate on a buffet. It is rare in the USA. I love the stuff.

(UsedToBeT2D) #754

Me too, just made a Braunschweiger sandwich last night.