Chaffles

('Jackie P') #468

This is what I want to master. I don’t miss bread but I do miss the easiness of a sarnie!
Looks like they hold up well. The last waffle maker I had was too thin, and to be fair I just ate them straight away :joy:

I’m fasting right now so I can’t really try it but was thinking about how I used to make my grilled cheese sandwiches.

I would use bread slices and put mayo on both sides with cheese in between. The mayo made the outside crispier (IMO) than butter or spray. I wonder if the chaffles could utilize mayo just on the outside somehow, maybe brushing mayo on the hot iron instead of spraying or if after it’s done, taking it out, brushing with mayo and putting back on the hot iron.

I can’t believe how much I think about food while fasting but am somehow not hungry.

(PJ) #470

Yeah, that’s how it is for me too. My brain gets nearly obsessed with food, in cycles, but my body doesn’t care. During my last two week fast, I took to sniffing tea (haha! Cinnamon tea, and chocolate mint tea), for my BRAIN. Weirdly, the brain was like, “Oooh, delicious smell! Yeah, ok, I feel better thanks!” and I could move on.

Edited to add: I wasn’t drinking the tea, I was sniffing the tin, just to be clear :slight_smile:

I am sniffing cinnamon! It just floats on top of my coffee but it just smells so great!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #472

Exactly what I think! And I really really hadn’t been looking for a bread substitute - but for me a chafflewich is simply an easier format for a lunch on the go.

Love ‘em!

(Failed) #473

I made my first chaffles. They are for a hamburger or sloppy cheeseburger.

They are nice and bendy. Very bland, so I’ll probably add a pinch of salt next time.

This is the recipe I used:

1 large egg < .5 g carbs
1 T sour cream .5 g carbs
3 T 21 g blanched almond flour 2.25 g carbs
1/4 t 1.15 g baking powder 0 carbs
1 t 5 ml water
2 t 4.17 g shredded mozzarella cheese < 1 carb

Whiz all ingredients together with a stick blender. Makes 2 chaffles.

2 chaffles contain 4.25 carbs

This was made with 2 standard chaffles. I haven’t broken in the waffle bowl maker. I’m currently on a 5 day fast.

They definitely need salt, IMHO. I also will add onion and/or garlic powder. My favorite was when I added everything bagel seasoning and used the chaffles as a hamburger bun.

(Failed) #476

How much did you add? I’ll take a look at Wegmans or Walmart and see if they have it

For 2 chaffles I probably added about 1 1/2 teaspoon.

(Failed) #478

How do you store the chaffles? I don’t want to leave them on the counter, in case they get moldy. For now, until tomorrow when hubby eats them, I put them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.

So far I’ve only made 2 at a time and always eat both, lol. I would probably do the same as you though, and reheat in the toaster oven, if I needed to store them.

(Joan Hulvey) #480

Calling this version a CheLaffle. L is for liver IN the batter. I used 1 oz of lightly cooked lamb liver, chicken or turkey liver would also be nice and mild. Used provolone and cheddar instead of mozzarella. Came out just as crispy/chewy as ever. Hubby pronounced it delicious without ever knowing he was eating liver!

(Brandy) #481

Sweet Cinnamon Chaffles created with Allulose, baking powder, konjac, egg and mozzarella. I liked the texture of the rye chaffles that Carl posted and thought they would create a delicious sweet chaffle. I was right. These, as I said in another thread, are like a warm, butter slathered, fall time hug.

Keto Sweet Cinnamon Chaffles

(Mame) #482

Huh. I finally made some chaffles that didn’t taste like overcooked cheese omelettes to me!

it was egg and mozzarella cheese (same as last time) with a spoonful of mayo… and a sprinkle of konjac. They did overflow a bit but that’s ok. whew. :partying_face:

I topped them with chicken and spinach in an alfredo sauce and it was lovely.

Which is just oil and more egg? :slight_smile:

(Mame) #484

I know! it doesn’t really make any sense to me but since I was not getting good-tasting chaffles before I wanted to report accurately :rofl:

We’ll see this weekend if it was a fluke or if it can be replicated…

(Failed) #485

I made chaffles for the first time, a big batch of 12, yesterday. After the first few overflows from putting too much batter, I discovered that if I wait several seconds before closing the lid, the edges set up just a bit and that mostly eliminates the overflow, unless you really overfilled the bottom.

Some of the larger models do. Mine is a Cuisinart panini press that has plates for a panini, flat griddle, and waffles. I pop them off and rinse off a couple times but eventually throw them in the dishwasher.

I just made my favorite Chaffle yet. (I used the little Dash waffle maker since I was experimenting.) I wrote this down though just in case I liked it. The Chaffle itself has the pepperoni inside so it could be eaten by itself, maybe even dipped in marinara! (Darn it, I didn’t even think about that at the time! Phooey!)

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 slices Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Provolone
  • 1 egg (only used half for one chaffle)
  • 1 slice deli-sliced sandwich pepperoni (these are almost as big as a provolone slice but could probably use regular pepperoni)
  • Dash of Italian dried spices
  • Dash of garlic powder
  • Dash of onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. almond flour

DIRECTIONS

1. Heated up the waffle maker.
  2. Mixed the whole egg with the spices and beat it until completely mixed.
  3. Laid a whole slice of provolone down onto the waffle maker.
  4. Poured about 1/4 of the egg mix on top of the cheese and let it spread out.
  5. Laid a slice of the big pepperoni on top of the egg.
  6. Poured another 1/4 of the egg mix on top of that.
  7. Laid another slice of provolone on top and closed the lid.
  8. It was done when it was done steaming.

I cut it in half to make it into a sandwich. I put more pepperoni and some mustard inside. (Next time, I’ll do pepperoni, a little cheese, and dip it in marinara!) Be warned, this was very crispy, but didn’t taste at all like it had egg in it. I could have let it go a little less time to make it softer but I like it crispy.

I may try some other full slices of cheese to see how the different types work out.