Cauliflower Pizza Crust or Fathead Pizza?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #1

I am not too good with cooking and have never attempted to make a keto pizza.

I am wondering what’s the easiest method for someone who’s never made it before?

Cauliflower Pizza Crust or Fathead Pizza, or another alternative?
Can someone please supply a recipe they follow?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

The easiest one I’ve done is taking egg and mozzarella, mix together and bake.thats your “crust.” Then top as desired.
It taste a little eggy, not bad. And it has a flat bread type texture.

I keep meaning to make again as garlic cheesy “bread.”

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

Ooh that’s a good idea. I have heard of the mozzarella before.
Do you know how many eggs?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

This makes 2 pizzas.
4 eggs
6oz shredded moz or provolone

Bake 15 minutes at 400.

Take out and increase oven to 450.

Recipe calls for 3 tablespoons tomato paste.
1 tsp oregano
4 1/2 oz shredded cheese
1 3/4 oz pepperoni
Olives
All divided between the two pizza

But you could top differently

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

Thank you LeeAnn, I’m going to make one tonight :slight_smile:

(Rob) #6

Try the Matt Head recipe. It is only some additional almond flour with mozzarella & cream cheese base but is not eggy, gets crisp, doesn’t taste as cheesy as it should, etc. and is easy.

I don’t add the Xanthan Gum - never needed it

Cauliflower crust needs additional things to make it hold together at which point it becomes more of a faff than just the Matt Head.

(Gabriel G.) #7

Cauliflower pizza crust is a pain to make and is gross!

Try the others mentioned here ^ Much better way to go.

(Jay AM) #8

If you don’t mind ditching the crust, pizza toppings in a bowl with a bit of sauce is a go to for me.

the Cauliflower one has less carbs than almond flour, i think, but is a real pain to make and can go wrong, I do like them both. I find with the cauli one you pre water cook then put in a skillet and make sure all water is removed towel drying is not dry enough. The water cook takes out lots of the veggie taste. then pre bake the crust until it browns no mater how long.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #10

I also saw where someone just used bacon woven together as crust.

That looked interesting.

(Sophie) #11

This is by far the easiest pizza I’ve ever made…and tasty too!

(Julie ) #12

Love using the FatHead dough for pizza, even my husband likes the dough. It is really easy to make and freezes well too.

For convenience I buy cauliflower pizza crusts and sandwich size slices. the brand is Outer Aisle and found at Whole Foods. It does the job

(Candy Lind) #14

Or a big flat sausage (or burger) patty!

I like the fathead pizza dough, but also for another slightly lower carb option I also enjoyed the one made out of canned chicken breast…

(Shayne) #16

We do the bacon weave! It’s soooooooooooo goooooooooddd!!! :drooling_face:

But I also love the Fathead crust

If only I wasn’t AIP and histamine intolerant. If you don’t know what that is, count your blessings (it means I can’t have cheese or tomatoes or bacon and a whole host of other things till I heal my gut).

(Dom DePlume) #17

Fat Head is by far the easiest and provides the most consistent results. I do a version of it (oddly enough, one is in the oven as we speak) using pork-rind “flour” in place of coconut or almond flour (I really disdain coconut flour pizza crust. It’s all kindsa wrong to me, unless I make a Thai or Indian pizza, which does work), and by doing that, reduce the carbs in the crust even lower…

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #18

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
I ended up going with the fathead dough but I substituted coconut flour instead.
I am not sure if I made it wrong or if I’m just a kitchen noob but the texture was odd, and for some reason when I threw in my egg it started cooking right away, the recipe did not mention to let the dough cool down, lol. Maybe that’s common sense? I don’t have a whole lot of it in the cooking category, hahah.

Anyways, presenting my beef and mushroom pizza! It tasted pretty good, needed more sauce and more cheese but I only ate 2 slices I was so full.

I just knead mine and not microwave anything

and use half as much coconut than you would almond