Cauliflower Grilled Cheese

(Jeffry Lauder) #1

You guys (and gals)…
I haven’t tried this, but how could it not be the most amazing thing since sliced bacon?

(Clare) #2

That looks like the Holy Grail of Keto. I can’t wait to make it.:heart_eyes:

(Duncan Kerridge) #3

I’ve made that a couple of times, it’s great

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

Tried this with riced cauliflower. I don’t know if there was too much moisture in the cauliflower, or if it was the fact that I didn’t have a non-stick pan (though I oiled the pan liberally with avocado oil, including rubbing some in with a paper towel), but this did not work for me at all. The crusty part stuck to the pan, and the rest broke up completely as soon as I tried to turn the patties.

I might try again, once I have a chance to pick up a ceramic fry pan, but for now I’d assume that this is a no-go if you don’t have a non-stick pan.

Ended up much making a cauli-cheese mash, which was meh. Fills the tummy, but not at all like grilled cheese. :frowning:

(Ren) #5

@devhammer The way I made it was similar to the cauliflower pizza crust. I put the riced cauliflower in the pan and cooked it till tender. Took it out and put in a towel and squeezed out all the excess water. It won’t come flooding out, but you will get a decent amount of water out.

Put the cauliflower rice in a bowl (1/2 a heads worth) with 2-3 oz of cheese (I used mozzarella) and 1 egg. Salt and pepper. Formed the 2 “bread” slices on a sil-mat and baked for about 15-20mins at 350-400 degrees.

When the bottom was nice and brown, I got a frying pan hot with some fat (bacon grease this last time) Put 1 slice in, topped with turkey, bacon, and cheddar, and topped it off with the other “bread” slice. Once bottom was nice and brown, flipped it over.

https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/ketogenicforums/uploads/default/optimized/2X/2/2326bd4d7bc2953162f521e6cf61c1bfbca37dc9_1_375x500.jpg

(G. Andrew Duthie) #6

Saw your post in the “what did you eat today” topic.

Appreciate the additional details on your technique. I don’t have a silmat, but I can try the baking technique with some parchment paper. I’ve still got leftover cauli, and some mozzarella, so perhaps I’ll try again that way.

(Linda Culbreth) #7

Has anybody tried this with frozen cauliflower in a food processor?

(Ren) #8

Parchment paper works for it also.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #9

Second time was the charm.

Added more mozzarella to my cauliflower, and a little almond meal to help dry up the extra liquid.

Made four patties on parchment paper, and baked for around 30 min, flipping once.

Then into a frying pan with bacon grease, and some pepper cheese, flip once, and BOOM!

Grilled cheese.

Saved the other two patties for later.

And another I-have-to-do-this recipe!!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #11

Just a warning. I had two leftover patties from when I made this the other day, so I used them to make a “sandwich” with pulled pork shoulder I made in the Instant Pot. I say “sandwich” because the patties were soft enough that it would’ve been hard to pick up, so I just ate it all with a fork.

Hard to say whether it was the cauliflower patties, the spices in the pork, or a combo, but I had pretty bad indigestion overnight, and we ate dinner pretty early (around 4pm). Maybe just a little too much cauliflower in combo with the pork, maybe more fat than my non-gallbladder digestive system could manage. Not sure.

But figured I’d offer it as a heads-up…may be one of those places where some of us need to limit quantities. Or I could just have a stomach bug. :wink:

(Cece Blackstock) #12

This is my favorite place on the whole entire internet!

(Cathrine Helle) #13

I’m making these tonight to bring for lunch tomorrow. Trying to bake the cauliflower rice in the oven first instead of removing excess water with a towel. My hands have very poor skin, so I try to limit mechanical stress. Will report back on how they turned out :grinning:

(Cathrine Helle) #14

I’m sort of regretting my decision to fast until tomorrow :joy: I think they turned out nice looking, and can’t wait for lunch tomorrow :heart_eyes:

(KB Keto) #15

any tips / tricks to get them to come out this good looking?

(Cathrine Helle) #16

I baked the cauliflower rice for twenty minutes with the hot air function in my stove. Let it cool down a bit before mixing with 2 eggs, 1 decilitre mozarella and some salt and pepper. Formed the patties on the parchment paper, and cooked in the oven on regular setting 200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. Left them in the oven another 10 minutes, after the heat was turned off.

Then I turned them and put some grated mozzarella and cheddar on the darkest side of the cauliflower patties, and finished them in a skillet with bacon fat. Turned once, medium/high heat :slight_smile:

Edit: forgot to mention that I used a whole, medium sized cauliflower.

(Cathrine Helle) #17

These taste amazing! Put my last two patties in the freezer, sort of regret not making more. Thank you @Aawa for this recipe :slight_smile:

(Ren) #18

They look great! Also the good news is there is no cauliflower shortage, so you will be able to make more in the future.

(Cathrine Helle) #19

What a relief :sweat_smile:

(Arlene) #20

I finally made these grilled cheese sandwiches last night and wanted to post some comments. Firstly, these were very delicious. I will make them again. They do taste like grilled cauliflower and cheese, but they are still delicious and fun. It is no fun ricing the cauliflower in my food processor. I used a large head and had to cut it up into smallish pieces first and then rice a little, dump into a bowl and then rice a little more, repeating the process over and over till the entire head was riced. This was the worst part of the entire process. After all the time to rice the cauliflower, then mix with shredded cheese and eggs, then bake the “bread” squares for 20 minutes, then fry with cheese slices; though fun to eat, this is a very time-consuming recipe I won’t indulge in often.