Carrie's (?) day fast

(Carrie ) #1

I have recently begun my first fast that I intend to last longer than the 24-48 hour IF fasting I’ve been doing up to now. I started before finding this forum, and I loved reading back on previous experiences with extended fasting and decided to share my own journey. I also hope that this will help keep me motivated when/if I falter, lol.

My intent is to go as long as it feels right. I’d like to do 14+ days… but make no commitments beyond continuing past right now. As of 58 minutes ago I surpassed my longest ever fast of 48 hours! My goals are to lose weight, reduce insulin resistance and hopefully get some good autophagy going. I really feel like I’m stuck weight/diet wise… and having read The Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting really opened my eyes as to why that likely is… pesky insulin!

I have a keto mojo blood ketone/glucose tester thingy, and I’ll be checking that daily along with my weight. I didn’t keep up with those numbers beyond glancing at them the last 2 days… so I’ll start from tomorrow mornings results… but my ketones were above 1 and BG was around 98-100.

I’m a bit nervous about this, it feels a bit like doing a cannonball into the pool… but I have researched extensively and have the approval (though grudgingly given) from my doctor. I have no major health issues other than the weight at this point… but with my weight where it is currently, it’s just a matter of time if I don’t do something about it now. Also, I have been eating keto and doing IF for about 6 months now… took awhile to work up to this. :grin:

(Carrie ) #2

Morning of day 3… approx 56 hours…

Weight 340.2 - down 2.6
Ketones - 1.9
Blood glucose - 88
GKI = 2.57

I feel pretty good… a nice amount of energy this morning, and no real hunger.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

Make sure you stay up on electrolytes (salt) and fresh water. Good luck.

(Carrie ) #4

Thanks! I saw others discussing sucking on rock salt, so I started that yesterday… and my headache disappeared. Also bought some lite salt to add to my water… in addition, I’m taking a keto multivitamin that has some electrolytes.

I’m drinking about 80 oz a day… surely that’s plenty?

(Karen) #5

I love seeing your GKI. Mine is barely and the weight loss range. Good luck on your fast. Watch the light salt it does have potassium and it’s it’s possible to overdo potassium

(Kent) #6

Keto Multivitamin??? Never knew there was such a thing. Please elaborate. Brand? Please take a picture of the nutritional panel .

Thanks!

(Christiana) #7

This is fascinating! Please keep us updated!

(Carrie ) #8

I cannot figure out how to attach a picture… so try this link.

Brand is Nutri-Align and type is Low Carb Diet Multivitamins.

They were recommended elsewhere as being good for keto folks.

(Carrie ) #9

I’m at the end of my 3rd full day, numbers below… I’ve decided to track at night as I don’t always have time in the morning.

Weight 339.4 … down a grand total of 11.8 lbs from 351.2 which is bonkers and I’m assuming it’s mostly water at this point.

Ketones are up to 3.4
BG is 77
GKI = 1.26

My fingers and toes are cold… which I have read others talking about… annoying but not a big deal. Otherwise I feel pretty good physically. No real hunger pangs, a good amount of energy etc. Mentally however, I’m having to fight that little voice in the back of my head. You know the one…“c’mon Carrie, you’ve done great, now how about a niiiice big bowl of spaghetti?” and… “you can always try for longer next time, no need to keep this going”. I’m hoping that as my body adjusts that my head will get on board too. :crossed_fingers:

(Carrie ) #10

Figured out pic thing lol… here’s the label.

(Jane) #11

Tell yourself yes, you can fast longer next time but you aren’t going to waste the time you’ve put into THIS fast to get to the low GKI, autophagy, low insulin, fat-burning state!

You’ve gotten past the hard part of the initial hunger gremlins. Now you just need to fight the emotional urges to eat. When I fast for more than 2 days I don’t get hungry… I just miss the pleasure of eating.

(Carrie ) #12

Yes, and I miss eating dinner with my teenage boys…I can’t quite be around food like that without it being quite unpleasant.

Hopefully that will get easier as I go too! :crossed_fingers:

(Carrie ) #13

End of day 4… feeling pretty good, energy not as high as yesterday though. A couple mild waves of hunger that I squashed with water and a salt rock.

Weight 338.1 - down 1.4 from yesterday and 13.2 total.
Ketones 2.8 (weird that they’re lower today)
BG 81
GKI = 1.61

What’s wearing me down is that the WANT for food is feeling more and more like anxiety… which is sucky. I’ve struggled with anxiety my whole life and am less than thrilled with the prospect of increasing anxiety as I go. That might be a deal breaker… my mental health matters too. For now, pushing on.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #14

I hope you find a way to reduce the anxiety. Have you tried meditating? Also are you getting enough magnesium. Magnesium can have a calming effect if you are not properly supplemented.

(Carrie ) #15

Yes, I think so. I’m taking that keto multi above… and drinking a bottle of ketoade every day.

I think I’m going to end the fast this evening, refeed 2 or 3 days and start again. I’d reeaaaaalllly like to hit 14 days. My hope is that if nothing else I can string a couple of 5 day fasts together, separated by refeed days.

(Christiana) #16

4 days is amazing, and likely very beneficial. I am one who would say that anything longer doesn’t hold a much greater benefit, although the science is so limited on fasting that it’s impossible to say. I certainly wouldn’t push yourself too hard to fast longer, especially if your mental well-being is being compromised. Re-feeding and continuing occasional 2-5 day fasts seems sensible!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #17

@MdmButterfly @Christiana14 - I follow the IDF fasting FB group and I believe they recommend fasts be limited to 5 days unless under a doctors care. They recommend fasts more often compared to longer fasts >5 days.

Since I have CVD I’m limiting my fasts to ~72 hours for now. Also that is the agreement I have with my wife since she does not fully understand fasting.

(Carrie ) #18

I wanted to try for longer to get the biggest impact possible on my insulin resistance. Breaking at 5 days tonight feels like the right thing to do. While refeeding the next few days I’ll make a plan for what’s next. What I read indicated a significant improvement to insulin resistance with a 14 day fast… so I’d really like to do it at least once… just need to decide if it’s now or next week/month etc.

(Carrie ) #19

Makes sense when going longer for sure! I do have my doctors blessing and supervision, even though I don’t have any medical conditions other than my weight.

IDF? I’m not familiar with that acronym.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #20

Sorry typo https://idmprogram.com/