Carrie's (?) day fast

(Katie) #21

Did you research good ways to break your fast and how to refeed properly and healthfully?

(Carrie ) #22

Gotcha, thanks!

Do you know why they recommend you do it that way? It seems counter to Fungs’ Fasting Guide and info on his site.

(Carrie ) #23

I have… but there’s sooooo much out there and a lot is contradictory. I’m currently leaning towards a salad with avacado instead of dressing… then maybe some black olives or bacon. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?

(Katie) #24

I am thinking that the salad roughage might be tough on your stomach. Does IDM not have any suggestions? I recently learned that something small, then waiting a few more hours, is best, but unfortunately I do not remember where I learned that or what the food suggestion was.
Maybe 1-3 lightly cooked, plain eggs?
https://idmprogram.com/refeeding-syndromes-fasting-20/

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #25

Eggs are not usually suggested for Breaking a fast. Some people have a lot of problems with them.

(Katie) #26

I remembered where I heard the good fast-breaking advice: Ben Greenfield’s recent podcast with Dr. Mercola. He has good shownotes so it might be an easy find.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #27

Thanks - on my list to review.

(Carrie ) #28

I’ll check it out, ty!

(Carrie ) #29

Broke my fast last night… it wasn’t the most lovely thing ever lol…I’m DEFINITELY going to do more research on what to eat at refeed before breaking my next fast.

I’m going to feast today, tomorrow, and weds… then starting fast again as of 7pm weds night.

(Jane) #30

What did you experience? I’ve ended up with diarrhea if I’m not careful with how I break my fasts.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #31

Carrie

Can I ask: What did you break your fast with that did not go so well? I’ve had one bad break so far and have some fear that I will not be in a controlled environment when I break my fasts. Of course if I don’t have the proper food then my strategy is to let my fear of disaster pants drive me to continue my fasting. Oh gosh that sounds like TMI for what it is worth.

Reading this forum and elsewhere on FB I have come to believe that everyone responds differently. But I’m still interested in your experiences.

(Carrie ) #32

I ate a few black olives… waited a bit… had a few slices of hard salami… waited a bit… had a small salad with avacado… then waited an hour. Felt pretty good, so I had a few slices of bacon (best bacon I’ve ever eaten in my life lol). Then about 30 min later KABLAM!!! Reeaaaaalllly unpleasant diarrhea. I was painfully glad I was home or might’ve had personal experience with disaster pants lol.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #33

Thanks.

(Carrie ) #34

What did I do wrong?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #35

I don’t know. Maybe the salami. I do bone broth with some fat. I remove excess. I wait 20+ mins. I do add salt and a small amount of soy sauce to the bone broth. I eat green olives, maybe 10 or less (small one) with the bone broth.

Then I wait. If no rumblings I might do some pork rind with sour cream. After 1 hr total or 1.5 I feast. The one time I had a problem I ate the strongest garlic sauerkraut I ever had. It was with active culture. Only had a few tablespoons. Unfermented cabbage can affect me in large qty but I can eat some fermented food if not fasted.

@Digital_Dave breaks his fast sometimes with sauerkraut I believe. Gosh we are all so different.

So far the bone broth has been good to me. We will see.

I mostly break my Fast with a small Salad, with some Olive Oil and Dressing, then wait 30-60 minutes and eat a meal. (Which seems to work fine for me) But I have broken some with Sauerkraut a few times now as well, so it seems this works too. … But as you say, it’s different for every one. (Eggs and Nuts are two of the biggest items that appears to give a lot of folks issues, but there’s some who actually eat Eggs, Bacon, etc. to break with, and have no ill effects what-so-ever?)

It unfortunately may come down to simply trial and error for one to learn what to NOT eat. … Best thing I would suggest is to make sure you note what you are breaking with, and it all goes well, keep those in mind for future use. And if you happen to have issues consuming certain things, make sure to not include it with future breaks. … From reading the information above, it could indeed have been the greasiness of Salami for Carrie, but in actuality it could have been any one or combination of the items consumed? - Hard to say, but the small Salad with Olive Oil and Dressing was suggested to me a while back, and after it worked, I just stayed with it. But it is nice to know what you shouldn’t break with.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #37

That plus bone broth is what I’m going to try tomorrow. I don’t drink bone broth before or during a fast.

(Robin) #38

I always have diarrhea issues after breaking a fast, but last time, I had broth for lunch which I don’t normally have during a fast and then I had a well cooked chicken and vegetable soup for dinner to break my fast. No diarrhea for the first time ever! Huzzah!

(Carrie ) #39

I appreciate the info! I’ll try bone broth next time for sure.

(Carrie ) #40

Okie dokie… started my second fast yesterday, so I’ll start tracking my numbers.

Weight 342.2, down 1.6
BG 90
Ketones 1.9
GKI = 2.63

Drank a red bull on my empty stomach this morning and got the shakes… not the brightest thing ever lol.

Starting to supplement electrolytes tomorrow.