Carnivore

(Lorena) #1

Hi, I’m trying to find a thread about eating carnivore. I’m curious about the fat grams when eating this way. Actually, just curious about how to eat this way.

Thanks in advance!

(bulkbiker) #2

If you want to do it in a purist way… eat meat/fish drink water.

I like cream in my coffee and some cheese sometimes… and maybe some very high cocoa content chocolate but I would class myself as 95% carnivore.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Did you look under the Carnivore category? I think it’s pretty much the same as regular keto just cut the non meat stuff out. Many people seem to still eat eggs and dairy and many don’t. It is always a personal choice about what you can do in a sustainable way. And what your goal is and reason you’re going carnivore. Is it GI issues, not really liking veggies, trying do drop your carb intake as close to 0 as possible, some kind of weight or fitness training? I am not carnivore so this is purely what I have gleaned reading here. You should be consuming more fat than protein and that ratio is debatable and some eat more protein than others. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ethan) #4

It’s the simplest diet there is!

I eat meat, eggs, fish, seafood, and butter/ghee. I have the most satiety from this diet, whereas I always suffered from not being full on keto.

(Lorena) #5

I finally did find the carnivore category.

I’m fairly new to keto, going on 3 months. At about month 2 I tried upping my protein but kept fat high and felt so “heavy”. I’m wanting to maybe switch things up by eating high protein, moderate fat and really low carb. Currently, I am doing well with moderate protein, higher fats and low (under 20g) carb. I am not sure I can cut veggies out (for regularity). In the past, my body responded well to tricking it now and then by adjusting the grams of p., c., and f.

I guess I want to know if I should bring the fat grams down while eating high protein? After looking at a couple of threads, looks like I’d have to cut dairy. About the only dairy I’m eating now is HWC (2 TBSP) and occasional cheese and eggs.

My progress has been slow but I’m not worried about it like I was in the beginning. I don’t have a lot of fat to lose. My goal isn’t about the scale but rather my pants fitting me better. I do feel happy all the time and am enjoying a non-bloated belly.

Thanks for some advice!

edit: My other goal which has already been attained is controlling my blood sugar!

(Chris) #6

Here’s an info dump for ya:

https://www.reddit.com/r/zerocarb/wiki/faq

(Karim Wassef) #7

If your goal is to lose fat, don’t do high protein, moderate fat.

There’s a difference between Keto and Atkins. Keto is high fat, moderate protein. Atkins is high protein, moderate fat.

Also, you don’t need veggies for regularity. You only need to eat plants to fix problems created from eating other plants. Animal meat by itself has no digestive issues.

First, get into ketosis so your body learns how to use fat… you do that by eating fat and reducing carbs under 20g. Then, explore fatty meats - I started with eggs (very balanced), salmon, and fatty cuts of ruminants (ribeye).

I supplement with heavy cream for added fats and cook with ghee and tallow.

I also eat organ meats, especially liver, for micronutrients. Beef and chicken liver is good but you can also get cod liver for omega 3 and key vitamins.

I stay away from “lean meats” like chicken breast … it’s not really balanced. I prefer the fattier thighs with a grilled skin for fat and collagen.

(Karim Wassef) #8

Keep protein under 0.7g/lb of lean mass and the rest can be healthy sources of saturated fat.

(Chris) #9

Don’t worry about ratios - eat fatty beef. Eat the fat until you’re full and then eat the lean until no longer hungry - it sounds crazy but you’ll shed weight.

Avoid all dairy at least starting out. You can try to add it back in but most people do not handle it well - cream, butter, milk, even ghee can be an issue -and it will usually cause you to gain weight.

(Lorena) #10

[quote=“Karim_Wassef, post:7, topic:83603”]
Also, you don’t need veggies for regularity. You only need to eat plants to fix problems created from eating other plants. Animal meat by itself has no digestive issues.
[/quote]

@Karim_Wassef OMG that terrifies me! I have a pretty slow metabolism. And, I really like veggies. I can’t go cold turkey with no veggies but I can try cutting them down.

I’ve been eating fewer than 20g carb for 3 months (most days between 12g-16g) so I think I’m in ketosis?

Eating organ meats won’t happen. I just can’t.

.07g per LBM is really low for me. I don’t even know how to do that. haha If I had low veggie and only 9 grams of protein most of my diet would be fat. And if I’m reading some answers correctly, no dairy? Whewwww.

I know I’m still trying find the key for myself. I guess just continue to trial and error it. I can tell that a lot of my resistance may be the mental aspect of cutting things out. I try to look at it like what I CAN have rather than CAN’T.

On a positive note: I have been able to IF. My breakfast is now coffee, tsp of Kerrygold butter, 1/2 c flax milk.

Thanks All!

(Chris) #11

The same culturalization that keeps Americans slogging donuts.

(Lorena) #12

I don’t like them

(Chris) #13

A lot of people don’t…where do you get your vitamins from then?

(Lorena) #14

Leafy green veggies, protein. No donuts :wink:

(Chris) #15

I urge you to read what I put in the link above - you’re barely getting anything (if at all) from leafy green veggies. In fact, they sap the nutrients they provide out of your body. Protein is a macronutrient, while meat does contain small amounts of some vitamins and trace amounts of others, it’s pretty inadequate. Liver and bone marrow are recommended (by a minority, for now) for most as a good way to cover most if not all the bases muscle meat can’t do on its own.

(Lorena) #16

Sorry. Didn’t mean for this to be a discussion about organ meat. I truly appreciate the concern for my lack of vitamins and source. Not all people eat organ meat and I can’t be persuaded to do so. Force fed liver as a child. So, I’ll read the article you provided and make adjustments.

Thanks

(Karim Wassef) #17

It 0.7g per lb of lean mass

I’m 180lb with 140lb lean mass (40lb fat). So 0.7 x 140 ~ 100g

That’s a lot of protein… you can do the math for your situation.

Liver can easily be added to sausage or burger meats. It can also be cooked in many ways depending on your palate. Lots of German liverwurst and French pattee is based on liver with the right spices.

If you like veggies, why are you considering carnivore?

(Chris) #18

I’m not saying you HAVE to eat liver, but one day you might find you want it. Despite what your feelings are now. :smiley:

(Lorena) #19

@Karim_Wassef No knowledge. I was just trying to find out how to eat that way.

(mole person) #20

That would be too low by any standards. But @Karim_Wassef said 0.7 g/lb of lean mass not 0.07. It works out like this for me. I’m 106 lbs and 18% body fat approximately.

.18*106= 19 lbs
106 lbs - 19 lbs = 87 lbs lean mass
87 lbs lean mass * .7 grams/lb = 61 grams of protein.

Honestly, I’ve played around with protein and that number seems pretty close to a sweet spot for me. I do fine down to 45 grams but want more and tend to eat more, whereas at 75 grams I notice I have less control of appetite and weight and my ketones are significantly lower. If I go higher than that I get kinda ill feeling. In general I don’t over-worry about this macro. I track it but find that if I’m eating one meal a day that it self regulates very well.