Carnivore

(Lorena) #21

@Ilana_Rose :woman_facepalming: Oh jeez…I did read that a tad wrong didn’t I? LOL Thank you for the calculator. After looking at my last couple of weeks, I seem to average 45-40g protein. I’ll do my math for my weight.

Thanks!
**50g

(mole person) #22

That’s a nice moderate amount. Unless you’re craving more I wouldn’t just increase to satisfy an equation. Basically there is a ton of variance in how much protein individuals need and very sparse data. The ‘experts’ are all over the place with some suggesting more than four times as much as others.

I’ve come to the conclusion that for this macro just listening to my body and watching its responses to various protein levels is the best way to go.

(Lorena) #23

@Ilana_Rose I’ll say I agree. Mine came out at 74g protein and I have tried that amount but it was in addition to 62-75g fat and I felt really “heavy”. Which was one of my questions about carnivore. Is a person supposed to eat high fat while eating high protein? It would seem as if the protein would keep a person full rather than the fat.

I’ll just dink around with the protein because clearly I need to master Keto before throwing anything else into the mix.

(Chris) #24

Context- I ate high protein for a good long time and it really just made me more hungry. I’m talking like 400g per day high. Focusing on getting fat in first helps heaps.

(mole person) #25

One of the messages that comes across wrong is how to approach your fat macro. You don’t have to eat it all. It’s the only macro you get to control in order for you to feel good and satisfied at your meals, but not more full than that. Here is keto in a nutshell based on what you’ve said about yourself.

1. Less than 20 net grams of carbs
  2. Approximately 50 grams of protein, but ten more or less any given day is JUST FINE. Split this over your meals.
  3. Add as much fat as is required to make your meals satisfying. NOT MORE.

Most people, after the initial fat adaptation period, find that as long as they have weight on their body to lose they don’t need to eat the entire fat macro.

My fat macro is 117 grams and I mostly eat it all. But my weight loss is over and so I need all of that or I’d keep losing more weight. When I had more fat on my body I wasn’t as hungry for all that fat.

(Lorena) #26

Question: when you were within 10 lbs of your current weight what were your fat grams? I’m just curious because I do think I’m getting closer to the right mix for myself and often wonder if I should up the fat a tad.

(Karim Wassef) #27

If I’m hungry, I eat fat. If I eat protein, I’m just going to get more hungry.

Fat is satisfying. Eat your fat, it’s protective and you won’t gain fat eating it unless you exceed your daily requirements.

You need “adequate” protein. Excess is the same as excess carbs … gets converted to glucose, insulin, etc…

As we age, we actually need more protein as the body needs to compensate for the increased lean mass loss. But this needs to be paired with at least moderate exercise (walking) to be effective.

(mole person) #28

I never planned my meals based on macros. I just tracked them and paid attention to trends in my weight week to week. If you are hungrier then eat more fat, if you aren’t then don’t.

My goal weight wasn’t even close to my current final weight either. I thought I’d be happy at 114 since I remember being slim at that weight in the past. But when I got there I wasn’t even fitting comfortably into clothes I’d worn a few years prior. Who knows why. In the end it took another eight pounds.

(Lorena) #29

Thank you so much for all the advice and info!