Carnivore/Zero Carb January 2017!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #143

Happy someone caught that @Sunny_Bunny , always thought it was an odd name for a grocery :pig::pig2::pig_nose::pig_nose::pig2::pig:

(Terry) #144

After my 1st ever ZC week:

1. Down 9 lbs in 7 days. Yesā€¦I know, itā€™s water, but it still makes me happy. :blush:
  2. Lower back pain is gone. (I thought my lower back stiffness was due to age.)
  3. Sleeping like a rock. I fall asleep immediately & suddenly my alarm is ringing!
  4. Iā€™m really not hungry anymore.

I did not expect that going from low carb to no carb would cause such dramatic benefits. Either Iā€™m extremely sensitive to any carbs, or more likely, my previous woe had a lot of hidden carbs.
You definitely donā€™t have to worry about hidden carbs when youā€™re just eating meat, eggs, & cheese! :bacon::fried_egg::poultry_leg::meat_on_bone:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #145

Could be hidden carbs, but this is so common, even with people who count meticulously, and eat only ā€œwhole foodsā€, that my suspicion is itā€™s more that that.

(Adam L) #146

Wow thatā€™s awesome Leslie, great stuff. Three months is a significant commitment, no doubt youā€™ll know which way to go after that much time. Agree with you on the simplicity of ZC & the severe lack of carbs in the foreseeable future!

(Leslie Andersen ) #147

I went from low carb to ZC also, ( began ZC 12/25) and lost 6 pounds in a week. I didnā€™t think it was water weight because I had already lost my water weight when I started LCHF. ( a significant amount the first week) and had been doing that form of Keto since May. I am certain I was already very Keto adapted, and was pretty strict, which I attribute to the lack of any adaptation symptoms also. Now I admit, Iā€™m no expert and am mostly just guessing, all be it paying very close attention to my body and what it ā€œtellsā€ me. If someone with more knowledge has insight or info to add to this I would welcome the comments, I consider myself a student of improvement!!

(momzbusy2012) #148

I could also see this happening despite being fully adapted. I think this may be especially true for those like me who are extremely resistant to weight loss, despite being fully committed and diligent to this WOE. Iā€™ll let you know next week if I experience the same thing :slight_smile: fingers crossed!

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #149

I would tend to agree. Water weight is lost as a result of using up glycogen, which takes water to store. If you were already in ketosis, then your glycogen was already low, and that couldnā€™t therefore be the explanation.

When I first went ZC from an already ketogenic diet, I began losing weight rapidly, at about half a pound to a pound a day, and that rate kept up for weeks.

(momzbusy2012) #150

You have no idea how encouraging this is! Itā€™s been so frustrating for me (and Iā€™m sure many other women) who find they follow the ketogenic diet to a ā€œTā€ and experience virtually no weight loss. Other fellow ketonians either assume they arenā€™t doing this WOE correctly or say ā€œyour body must be healing itself.ā€ Although I donā€™t disagree with the latter of these two statements, itā€™s very discouraging when you see so many people have weight just melt off their bodies and yours holds on to it like itā€™s life or death. I became so discouraged in the communities because people would make recommendations that I had already tried. Iā€™m even under the care of a Functional Physician, whom Iā€™m grateful for. But, the zero carb WOE is my last resort and I am optimistic. I donā€™t think itā€™s realistic for me to fast each and every weekend from Thursday night until Monday morning, which has been the ONLY way my weight has decreased.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #151

I have my fingers crossed for you, too!

(I looked for a :fingers_crossed: emoji, but the only emoji containing the string ā€œfingerā€ had the entirely wrong sentiment. :laughing:)

ā€œWeā€™ll be waiting to hear how it wentā€, said one of the women who canā€™t seem to drop weight easily :slight_smile:

(Larry Lustig) #153

How much body fat were you carrying when you made this change?

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #154

I weighed around 190 pounds. Today I weigh around 130.

@amber, I am really intrigued by this ZC protocol. Iā€™ve been reading the ZC comments and results with great interest. Iā€™m about half way through my 7 day water/coffee/tea fast. When that is over, I would like to give ZC a try. Iā€™m thinking taking it out to perhaps a duration of a month, and track how I do. Iā€™d be playing with two variables, really. The ZC way of eating, and re-feeding after an extended fast. If Iā€™m ok after one month duration, I will consider extending it. I think one month commitment is perhaps good to give it a real go at it and pull through any minor roadblocks, whatever they maybe (I donā€™t know at this point).

Given that I would start ZC after an extended fast (clean as a whistle bowels and full steam autophagy)ā€¦do you have some insight or extra advice not discussed in this thread?

Iā€™m thinking on day of breaking fast have some smoked salmon and liver pate. Maybe a poached egg or two (with runny yolk) as well. Highly nutritious food with wide spectrum of nutrition/sources. Thoughts?

And thank you for the inspirationā€¦ :blush:

(Leslie Andersen ) #156

Well ā€¦ I sure wonā€™t complain if that happens! My first interest in both KETO and now ZC is health improvement. Weight loss is just the bacon on the burger!

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #157

Hi, @Fiorella. Youā€™re welcome. :blush: I think 3-4 weeks is a good trial, especially since youā€™re already keto-adapted.

Iā€™ve actually never fasted that long, so Iā€™m not sure what that will be best in terms of reintroducing foods, except that I know from shorter fasts that it takes time to adjust to eating again without being uncomfortably full.

You have a kind of unique opportunity to try foods without anything else in your system. In your shoes I would probably start with beef broth and then beef. That is, Iā€™d first add things that are most tolerated by most people, and do things like eggs and dairy later.

@amber, excellent suggestion. I will definitely start with beef (broth and meat) upon re feeding. I will go all beef for a few days, log how my body feels. Then re introduce other proteins, and continue meticulously recording how I feel, and try to detect any differences.

Thank you, Amber, for excellent advice!!

(Adam L) #159

9th day ZC and happy to report blood ketones have gone back above 0.5 for first time in a couple of weeks - 0.7 today. Blood glucose has also gone down steadily during ZC hitting the 5ā€™s with a 5.5 mol/l (100 mg/dl) which for me is a very good number. Weight wise I dropped 3kg/6lb of water the first day and my weight has remained at 108.4kg/238lb every time Iā€™ve measured it since. Not too worried but will be concerned if some weight doesnā€™t come off by months end, gonna keep calm and ZC on.

(momzbusy2012) #160

Amber this might be a loaded question, but why do you think those who have been strict keto for so long can show via ketone meters they are burning fat but have zero weight loss? Then they experience a large drop when going ZC? Iā€™d love to see the science on this one.

Iā€™ve lost track of the days but I started 12/28. I am amazed at how good I feel. My energy level is great. Some days I seem really hungry, others not at all. I was worried that my strength would take a nosedive but I have had no problem getting through my workouts and even set a new PR. Iā€™ve had mild headaches the past 2 days and have increased my broth and doubled mag and pot. My only complaint is that I have lost no weight. Iā€™ve actually gained 2 pounds. So. Not. Pleased.

(Genevieve Biggs) #162

Many people gain in ZC before losing weight, like with keto. Donā€™t worry just yet. :slight_smile: