Carnivore/Zero Carb January 2017!

I am definitely trying to suspend judgment until day 30 and relying more on how my clothes fit and there’s definitely been changes there.

As I am pretty intrigued with ZC, and looking forward to doing it following my fast, I did a bit of research on food history. I came across Julius Caesars diary, describing the diets of the Germanic people and Brittons. He writes (about Germans):

“They do not pay much attention to agriculture, and a large portion of their food consists in milk, cheese, and flesh”

And Gauls and Brittons:

“Their entire country borders on the sea, and they do not differ much from the Gauls in customs. Very many who dwell farther inland do not sow grain but live on milk and flesh”

Looks pretty ketogenic and ZC way of eating.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #165

That’s a great question, and I don’t know the answer. Heh.

(Alex Dipego) #166

So first week back to heavy lifting after 2 months and been ZC for 7 days… Holy freaking cow! (Not the one I ate). Vascularity was nuts and energy has been sweet!!!

I pick a meat of the day pretty much and eat that. Beef, Lamb, Trout… If it bleeds it’s mine :grin:

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #167

I’m in! I ended my 21 day fast yesterday. I had some collards that were gifted to me today; they were loaded with smoked turkey so, I’ll count that as a win. Officially, tomorrow I begin; I’ll still include dairy though… cuz cheese and heavy cream; I’m also keeping teas, coffee, stevia, and spices/herbs - I’ll be a dirty carnivore… or a dainty one. LOL

ooooooo so excited!!

(Adam L) #168

Yay good to have you here, after what you’ve just achieved it should be a walk in the park.

(momzbusy2012) #169

Oh the mystery of it all! :grin: off topic but… I see you’re going to be a speaker on the Low Carb Cruise in May. I’ll be there too so I’m hoping I will be one of the many who by then, have found success on ZC eating. I’d like to give hope to others who have had difficulties losing weight too.

(AnnaLeeThal) #170

Dirty carnivore. I like that

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #171

Yes! I hope so, too. I look forward to meeting you!

About the Low Carb Cruise talk, I’m specifically going to be talking about the carnivorous diet as I practice it, and why plants are not only not essential, but potentially harmful. I’m very excited about it!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #172

Hoping so!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #173

The only thing that’s missing from the picture is the liverwurst. But this was awesome! And there was no issue with blood glucose either.

Disclaimer: Female specific question
I’m on day 13 and was humming along just fine but this afternoon I was hit with major mood swings and random crying spells. I’m not normally emotional, in fact I’m the most stoic person I know! I do not have any life stressors and I’m not prone to PMS so I’ve ruled that out. The only change in my life has been the zero carb plan so I’m wondering how no carb might impact hormones…assuming it’s hormonal. Any insights would be appreciated.

(Christina Hansen) #175

It’s possible that certain hormones, or hormone-stimulating compounds are being released as you burn fat, because they’re all fat soluble.

@amber, in preparation of launching into my ZC month trial following my 7 day fast, I would really appreciate your help in taking a look at my test plan, and welcome any advice/comments. I basically took your advice and started with beef and beef bone broth at beginning to re-feed my body after the fast, and as you suggested it tends to be the least problematic protein.

I followed that with proteins that my Italian ancestors (Northern and Central Italy) would have eaten, thinking they would be the least problematic for my body (just a hypothesis).

I left eggs and cheese at the end, as they are typically notorious for problems with many people.

I am giving each protein 4 days. And I plan to meticulously record how I feel each day - to see if I can detect a difference. Here are the testing details:

Day Protein Testing protocol
Day 1 Beef Combination of bone broth + meat + liver, cooked in tallow
Day 2 Beef Combination of bone broth + meat + liver, cooked in tallow
Day 3 Beef Meat, cooked in tallow
Day 4 Beef Meat, cooked in tallow
Day 5 Pork Combination of pork meat cooked in lard and + pork liver pate
Day 6 Pork Pork cooked in lard
Day 7 Pork Pork cooked in lard
Day 8 Pork Pork cooked in lard
Day 9 Fish Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Haddock, Tuna, Mackeral, Sardines or Anchovies, cooked in tallow or lard if needed
Day 10 Fish Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Haddock, Tuna, Mackeral, Sardines or Anchovies, cooked in tallow or lard if needed
Day 11 Fish Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Haddock, Tuna, Mackeral, Sardines or Anchovies, cooked in tallow or lard if needed
Day 12 Fish Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Haddock, Tuna, Mackeral, Sardines or Anchovies, cooked in tallow or lard if needed
Day 13 Seafood Squid, Clam, Mussels, Oysters, Crab, Scampi or Shrimp, cooked in tallow or lard if needed
Day 14 Seafood Squid, Clam, Mussels, Oysters, Crab, Scampi or Shrimp, cooked in tallow or lard if needed
Day 15 Seafood Squid, Clam, Mussels, Oysters, Crab, Scampi or Shrimp, cooked in tallow or lard if needed
Day 16 Seafood Squid, Clam, Mussels, Oysters, Crab, Scampi or Shrimp, cooked in tallow or lard if needed
Day 17 Lamb Lamb, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 18 Lamb Lamb, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 19 Lamb Lamb, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 20 Lamb Lamb, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 21 Chicken Chicken, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 22 Chicken Chicken, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 23 Chicken Chicken, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 24 Chicken Chicken, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 25 Egg Eggs, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 26 Egg Eggs, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 27 Egg Eggs, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 28 Egg Eggs, cooked in tallow or lard
Day 29 Cheese Cheese (cow origin) cooked in combination with beef or pork products (cheese not from whey source)
Day 30 Cheese Cheese (cow origin) cooked in combination with beef or pork products (cheese not from whey source)
Day 31 Cheese Cheese (cow origin) cooked in combination with beef or pork products (cheese not from whey source)
Day 32 Cheese Cheese (cow origin) cooked in combination with beef or pork products (cheese not from whey source)

Spices and Flavourings Allowed (very small quantity):
Fresh garlic and garlic powder
Fresh onion and onion powder
Salt and pepper
Freshly squeezed lemon juice
Apple cider vinegar
Red wine vinegar
Dry thyme, rosemary, basil, parsely, sage, etc

Track these each day:
How does gut feel?
Hunger level?
Mood?
Energy level?
Sleep?

Other details:
Drink water, coffee, tea - no sweetener, no cream
Eat once per day - supper time (circa 7 pm)
Protein level 1 to 1.5 gram per kg lean body mass

I am very grateful for your help. I’m excited about this test and look forward to learning more about my body/health.

(Adam L) #177

Nice, I tried liverwurst for the first time a few weeks ago & really enjoyed it.

(Adam L) #178

I’m eating out a bit lately, which I don’t usually do, as I’m on a few weeks leave from work. It’s been quite easy to find or modify fast food that falls into LC/KETO & now ZC however have had a few funny reactions from the people serving the food, plenty of repeating myself to reassure them of what I’m after, they seemed surprised, shocked - which is funny to see.

Blood glucose tracking along nice & low on ZC now 11 days in, back to where I was with strict keto before things went a little sideways late December.

I’ll also be on the Low Carb cruise and will be looking forward to Amber’s presentation , getting ready to start 30 days of meat n’water :grin:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #180

Looks great! Even small amounts of onion and garlic powder seem to bother me, personally. If you’re willing to hold them off for a few days, it might be informative.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #181

Some people will at least understand if I tell them no plants from the get go before I start ordering: “I don’t eat any plants at all, so I’d just like the burger patty on the plate by itself…”, even if they do look surprised, but many people still offer me all manner of vegetable even if I start like this. It’s amusing.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #182

Nice! What’s the sauce-like stuff?