Carnivore/Zero Carb January 2017!

(Terry) #63

One (easy) ZC day down. I ate plenty - venison sausage, omlete, & cheese filled meatballs. Dispite all I ate, by the end of the day I had “released” over 2 pounds of water weight. I had forgotten how bloated & sluggish I get when I have carbs. Feeling much better now! Looking forward to the rest of ZC1/17!

(Leslie Andersen ) #64

I’m on day 9. Feeling great, and haven’t had any negative transition symptoms. ( was already Keto adapted) The thing I love the most is the freedom from the obsession of counting and tracking macros! Leaves me more time to obsessively read this forum and ZC Facebook pages! Haha🤣

(Jodi) #65

ZC has been going pretty well so far. Mostly eating rare hamburgers. The processor we get our beef from makes the hamburger pretty lean so I always add fat. I’ve been adding plenty of my home rendered lard & tallow, I love it! I like it better than butter in this instance, which is good because I’m trying to keep my dairy intake as low as possible.

I’ve been naturally evolving into IF, it happened in my previous ZC experience so I’m not surprised. I’m considering a 3 day fast sometime this month too.

This is day 5. I woke with minimal hunger and am feeling no desire to eat meat. I had a bpc with a whole egg mixed in for breakfast and lunch is chicken broth with some fat mixed in. Otherwise I’m feeling great and even lost 2lbs. We’ll see if the appetite returns by dinner. In the interim I’m cooking up some beef and chicken for the week.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #67

I love tallow, too! And lard.

(Henna Selnes) #68

This is 4days, 2 official with the challenge for me. I feel great. I already was keto adapted so nice easy transition. On keto I IF 20/4, now I am finding I am very hungry upon waking. I stop eating still at 5 in the evening, and even though I am hungry I the morning I wait a few hours, eat then not eat again til 5. Plus I lost 500gm or half kg. Feeling good.

(Leslie Andersen ) #69

We have a lot in common in our journeys Henna. I too am transitioning easily and was already Keto adapted. I was also doing 24/4 IF when following LCHF, and am finding that I am hungry in AM since going ZC. Everything I read from experienced ZCers says to let your body lead you, so I am just trying to pay attention to that and eating when hungry. I believe you are the person whose post on Principia Carnivoria led me to this place, Thank you for that… this is awesome.

(Christina Hansen) #70

I really want to do this, but I am waiting for my “holidays” to be over. My husband and I are long distance, and he is in town until tomorrow, so I’m waiting until after then to start, and then shooting for 30 days. Looking forward to it!

(Kerri Hines) #71

I’ve had such a major reduction in my already well under control appetite that I’m barely hungry for the one single evening meal I’ve been eating. It’s crazy how much different my zero carb experience is from even a 15g total carb keto plan. I always believe in eat when hungry and only til not hungry, but 4 straight days of eating what must be incredibly low calories can get my head in a knot trying to feel confident that it’s ok. So I brought some pepperoni and cheese to have a snack sized midday meal so I can make that old school voice in my head shut the f up!
Going into shark week with no cravings or additional hunger is great!

(Christina Hansen) #72

I know what you mean, @Sunny_Bunny, and that’s one of the (multiple) reasons I want to try this. I am sometimes ketogenic, sometimes just OMAD with my meal being kinda low-carbish. When I have even a little carbs (potatoes, rice - I’m off grains), I get really hungry the next morning (I just do buttered coffee for “breakfast” and only eat in the evening after work). I LOVE LOVE LOVE meat, and this seems like a good way to kinda force myself to be keto, and kill the carb-induced cravings. I’ve lost 40+ pounds cutting out (most of) the carbs and doing IF, but I’ve plateaued and I’ve been kinda lax about the less healthy choices from time to time.

(Charndra Pile) #73

Heading into day three, I don’t have a headache yet! Had a mild one all day 1, a ripper on day 2, no amount of water and salt dulled that bad boy, had to hit the medications. So, hopefully that was my caffeine withdrawal mostly over.

I am not hungry. I am eating three meals a day atm however, the aim of which is from several posts of Charles Washington’s, talking about soothing your body into realising a steady supply of food to tame the insulin monster; to let the body relax and start down-regulating the hormones.

Having 2 star mince - that stuff has a perfect fat and protein balance! Sprinkled some parmy on it yesterday with my S&P, didn’t really care for it.

I’m cooking it best when I do it ‘Macca’s and Hungry jacks’ style - roll it out between sheets of baking paper to quite thin, freeze it and then cook it for two minutes total. When I get it just right it is barely cooked and not losing moisture and I pour the fat on the plate first or on top of it afterwards.

Oh, and now I’m off to make one.

Once I settle in for this first week I plan to allow my body to head into IF, one or two meals a day.

Enjoying being a Carnivore.

(Rebecca) #74

Did you bake them? I used lamb necks in my irish stews, and love them, I have never had them any other way.

(Joan Hulvey) #75

I find the clinical experience published by Paleomedicina Hungary very compelling. Especially the cases where cancer and diabetes (both Type 1 and 2) were reversed. In severe cases like these, they “prescribe” zero carb for the 1st 6 months, followed by limited amounts of non-starchy veggies once blood glucose levels are normalized. Link:
http://paleomedicina.com/paleolithic-ketogenic-diet/

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #76

Neat! I’ve heard of this group before, because of the Crohn’s paper, but I’ve never seen their website before. Where did you find the zero carb recommendation part? I don’t see it in a casual search of the site. I do see them claiming the diet as their intellectual property, which is, of course, ridiculous.

(Joan Hulvey) #77

Their case reports are published at Research Gate, which you can download for free. Here’s the quote that applies:
" The paleolithic ketogenic diet is an animal meat-fat based diet with a fat:protein ratio of approximately 2:1 and with a plant content less than 30% (in volume). In the diet, consumption of red and fat meats over lean meats as well as organ meats are encouraged. In the first six months the patient followed the most strict form of the diet: a full meat-fat diet. From July 2015 on, she was allowed to eat small amounts of vegetables with a frequency of ≤2 times a week. From this time on she was also allowed to drink coffee in moderation as well as to use small amounts of honey for sweetening. No calorie restriction was applied but the patient was suggested to eat when hungry and then to eat until satiation. Typically the patient had two meals a day. "
Here is the paper:

They shared that in very serious cases they recommend 100% hunter diet (my characterization). Once blood sugar and other markers normalize, they allow the “gatherer” part in strict moderation. They said that patients with strict adherence usually normalize A1c to between 4-5%.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #78

This is fantastic, @Joan_Hulvey. I particularly like the emphasis on no calorie restriction, which I think is a huge mistake in the wider keto-cancer community. It compromises compliance, can cause loss of lean mass, and in my not so humble opinion, it’s unnecessary. I have three reasons to believe this, one mechanistic, two anecdotal:

1. Humans are highly ketogenic animals, and don’t require calorie restriction to get in ketosis.
  2. I have an acquaintance that cured his very-late-stage, tried-everything-else astrocytoma in a complete, rapid, miraculous turnaround by following the advice of my husband who told him to follow an ad libitum meat only diet.
  3. Another brain cancer acquaintance who was doing “traditional” keto found that he felt like crap on the protein restriction required to reach his therapeutic targets, but that when he cut out all plants, he was able to eat more, to the point that he felt good, and still hit the required blood ketone:glucose ratio.

I recognise that oncology is not my expertise, but all meat, no caloric restriction is where my bets are placed.

(Leslie Andersen ) #79

Thank you for all this information, it is simply mind blowing! So much is making sense.

(melinda) #80

It’s a tough day for cravings for me! All for keto friendly foods, but not carnivorous foods. I actually suddenly was STARVING this afternoon and pounded down tons of ground pork & cheese. I needed FAT. Actually, I’m hungry right now. I’m also possibly pms-ing, so there’s that.

(Genevieve Biggs) #81

The ZC mantra is to eat if hungry, even if it seems like a lot. I’m in a few ZC groups om FB, and some there eat upwards of 4 lbs of meat per day. Your appetite will regulate. Don’t worry about it. :slight_smile:

(Rebecca) #82

So I haven’t had an ideal start to ZC Jan. I was sick in bed all day on Friday. I still was not feeling that great on the first but I cooked my roast duck (first time ever) and made some chicken liver pate (not exactly ZC as it has some onion & garlic powder) but hey it also has bacon. I had only managed to eat a bit of steak on the Saturday which I really had to force myself to do.

For dinner on the 1st I had some duck breast but only could manage to eat a few mouthfuls (my cat Dessie was happy as he got the rest) and the thought of eating more made me feel nauseous, but later that evening I had a craving for some dark chocolate (I generally don’t eat all of this) and I gave in I had 2 pieces of 72% and when I looked at the carb count I nearly had a fit at 5g per piece.

I was back to work on the 2nd still not 100% well I had a black coffee and when lunch time came I again couldn’t bare the thought of eating my left over duck (I ended up eating about 1/2), at about 3pm I was getting a bit hungry so had 2 big spoonfuls of my liver pate.

Today I am much better and am glad to report that I can now eat meat again, I started the day with a black coffee, 4 eggs (2 whole & 2 yolks) with butter and for lunch the rest of the duck with butter.

I am glad to be on track and am looking forward to the rest of the month.

This is the pate.

Whole roast duck (I doubt I will cook a whole one again as it was so hard to cut up.)