Carnivore Rocktober - ZC Carnivore 31 day challenge October 2022

(Megan) #142

Ruby starts every day with Joyce Meyer. Finds her perfect for what she needs. I can handle a bit of Joyce but only a bit!

@Fangs:
Actually, with my crispy thing making problems I prefer the meat! It was nice to get only wing bases with almost no skin :slight_smile: It helps to lower my fat intake too (not like I can track that thingā€¦)
Of course I LOVE crispy skin but itā€™s such a chore to make in a pan, takes a lot of time and I usually have some little pieces (I usually fry some eggs with it not to have a half or more empty pan). If I remember to get off the skin in time, I can use the oven pan, thatā€™s way better.
But the meat is really, really good and that is the main attraction :wink: The skin is exotic though, I canā€™t eat much crunchy skin as even a thigh or whole wing has little of itā€¦

I never saw a whole turkey in a store. Okay, turkey isnā€™t such a big thing here, we donā€™t have Thanksgiving day :slight_smile:
We usually have wings, thighs, drumsticks, necks and breast. Thighs come boneless and cubed too.
Chicken, duck and very rarely goose is available whole too, chicken and maybe duck has frames as wellā€¦ And of course, chicken liver is everywhere, liver with heart is common too, heart alone is rare, gizzard is so-so but I am not into itā€¦ The other organs are only in a whole chicken.
Turkey liver is common and I donā€™t ever want to try it againā€¦

I probably never would buy a whole chicken as itā€™s half breast but Alvaro loves that part so sometimes we buy one. We both like thighs, I like bony parts but not so much the wings (well the base is fine, the rest is cat food. and I eat everything I can, I donā€™t give any pig heart pieces to them and even most skin ends up in me. but some bone and skin, I canā€™t do much with that), he dislikes the bony parts and only he eats the breastā€¦ It works well, similarly with a rabbit but the hind legs are too meaty to me, I prefer the bony parts so we share it even better.

But I am sure I wrote about this already, why itā€™s just a joy to do againā€¦?
The new rabbit comes home on Friday and Alvaro converts it into a lovely stew on Saturday, yum. I actually start to get bored of my pork roast. I wonā€™t force it as that would become tragic, I couldnā€™t handle much meat for a while and I am NOT ready for some significantly carbier times, October or not.

Today I had low appetite especially towards my normal food but I still got hungry again (at 8pm) and some sausages and dairy (quark with sour cream) helped me out. I needed some fattier stuff anyway. I didnā€™t eat more than normal after my super low-cal day but my protein was high.
I run a little today :slight_smile: I try to keep it up.

(Judy Thompson) #144

Turkeys! Thinking of Thanksgiving, Christmas. Thinking of our smoker in Texas. Oooh. Maybe this year Iā€™ll smoke a turkey just for us for the season! Weā€™re spending Thanksgiving with musicians in San Antonio, perhaps take part of a turkey there! Or a whole one. Just some thoughts in advance. Weā€™re here in VA for the rest of October, SO looking forward to getting ā€œhomeā€ to Texas!
@carnivoor2 , thinking of you working from home. I do so much streaming for my violin and viola and guitar students, I love it. Also love teaching in person when itā€™s possible. Good luck, itā€™s nice to work from home.
This morning we had early dental appointments in Maryland, turned out to be about a 35 minute drive. My cleaning was pretty good. I thought Iā€™d have a lot of tartar but it wasnā€™t bad. Iā€™d been wondering how the woe would affect my teeth. Hope itā€™s improving things overall.
Went to lunch after, for wings at Ledoā€™s. Hubby had a sub as always. The wings were good, plain and clean.

Later today I steamed eggs and had 3 with ghee, shared with the puppy. She loved them! Iā€™ll have to make sure she gets eggs in upcoming times.
I taught a lesson, then we settled in for a movie. Nearly out of good food so I opened a can of sardines and slathered with mustard. Theyā€™re dry and hard packed in water. I read the can that was packed with mustard and it had yucky ingredients so just decided to buy the water pack and add my own mustard, cleaner that way. I donā€™t know how to buy them so theyā€™re good. @Fangs what type of sardines do you buy?
Anyway - another day done and gone. Tomorrow I have a gig in the evening with a guitarist. Should be fun.

Yes, Megan. I think reducing dairy might impact a few things. There will be casomorphin withdrawal symptoms for some people as the opioid receptors stop getting stimulated. The cravings are a search for the same or a substitute.

But also consider that removing dairy changes the fat and protein ratios. Sometimes those changes may take you closer to Protein Sparing Modified Fast PSMF territory. Werenā€™t you and @Azi chatting about that earlier in this thread?

Iā€™m growing 6 forests on our property. Planning to link them up with plantings into one smallish woodland. I canā€™t afford to buy any more land here. I planted some habitat trees about 25 years ago and they are about 12m tall. It is so satisfying to look at. In 25 years time I will be an old man. After that Iā€™ll be gone. The forest will remain a bit longer. For about as long as hope lasts. Itā€™s a legacy thinking project.

The other part is being a teacher. My students get younger every year I get older. Iā€™m older than their parents. But if I can be a good teacher, and inspire a curiosity to learn, maybe a vague memory of me will linger somewhere for a moment in a lesson learned.

Things are impermanent like the lamb chop I had for dinner.

:heart_eyes:
Never tried smoked turkey but sounds good! I saw it in the supermarket but it was quite a few times more expensive than normal and I am fine with normal turkey and smoked pork, after allā€¦ But one day I probably will try it. And wonā€™t know if itā€™s similar to homemade smoked turkeyā€¦

I had a tiny lunch, I just donā€™t have an appetite and this time my hunger allows this (itā€™s super rare. I have small meals sometimes but itā€™s almost never my first one).
I kept forgetting I want food as I was busy with something elseā€¦
I had a big but not too big forest walk, saw zillion mushrooms. I didnā€™t know there are 4 drastically different looking toxic champignons but I found that manyā€¦ No camera this time but I will bring it next time, it will be soon, the wildlife park forest is fabulous now, I go there more often than to the pond (that was more exciting in summer, much more chance for egrets and blue herons, I even saw storks a few times, this year for the first time). Swans and ducks are boring at this point (I still like to see them but itā€™s nothing special, they are always there).

And despite eating properly again yesterday, I still saw 72kg on my scale. Wow. How did that happen? So quickly? Okay, I can imagine scenarios but my body was too stubborn this farā€¦ Whatever.

It depends on the dairy (and the rest of the food). Cheese has the same ratio than my eggs and moderately fatty pork. My quark mixed with sour cream is the same. Sour cream and cream is mostly fat though and even moderate (from my viewpoint ;)) consumption can affect my fat percentages - but I use them more bravely when my meat is leaner, usuallyā€¦
But sure, it may change the ratio.

(Megan) #148

Thanks Frankobear, I guess thatā€™s why some people find cheese ā€œaddictiveā€. My main dairy was heavy cream, I was consuming over 1,000 cals a day in coffee. Ridiculous. Next up would be unsweetened full fat greek yoghurt. Iā€™d have 2-300 grams every few days. Very, very occasionally a slice of cheese.

Linda (Azi) was talking about how Protein Sparing Modified Fasting had some really bad effects on her. Weā€™re currently trying a lower protein, much higher fat way of doing carnivore.

I love that you have planted trees. Your property sounds divine. Love the pics and your descriptions of life there.

(Robin) #149

Megan, I finally had to make myself start using a tablespoon to measure my heavy cream in my coffee. I can drink coffee all day long and it does add up!

(Megan) #150

3.30am, gave up on sleep an hour ago. Last night I barely slept at all, nonstop cramps almost every time I moved my legs that were really hard to walk off. Tonight Iā€™m doing my usual as of late waking every damn hour or 2 in terrible pain - mostly hips/upper leg and back. The hip/leg/buttock pain feels exactly like cellular hypoxia from laying in one position for too long. The back pain isnā€™t uncommon, I have a bit of a buggered back. Usually helped a lot by sleeping on a very slippery shower curtain so I am not pulling/straining my lower back muscles when I change position in bed. Iā€™ve been talking for years about needing a new bed and today I finally bought one. Will be delivered on Tuesday. I also ordered a couple more shower curtains as the one Iā€™ve been sleeping on for ages isnā€™t very slippery anymore. Hereā€™s hoping these 2 things help!!

I need to move more and start doing some resistance training. I have next to no strength in my muscles and I used to be so strong years ago. Some days are way worse than others at the moment, but I rarely feel like I have much energy. I struggled like hell trying to open a can of salmon yesterday, I was almost in tears by the end b/c I didnā€™t think Iā€™d get the can fully open (tho yes, I need a new can opener too). I changed my bedroom around yesterday and couldnā€™t manage to lift Luluā€™s crate onto my bed. Walking upstairs is me literally dragging myself up by the handrail more days than not. Plus it hurts like hell. Itā€™s possible I am having a bad fibromyalgia flare. I keep consulting Dr Google for reasons I am feeling as rough as I am b/c (a) I keep minimizing how bad fibromyalgia can be, and (b) how Iā€™m feeling has gotten way worse since starting keto then moving to carni.

But there is the confounding factor of stopping my nortiptyline, quetiapine and effexor a few months ago - which has definitely made my sleep a lot worse (the 1st 2 were prescribed for sleep). Terrible sleep can make pain worse and make pain tolerance less. And could be at least partly why my energy has completely tanked. Plus effexor is the closest antidepressant available here to cymbalta, which is FDA approved for fibromyalgia in the U.S., and maybe it was helping with fibromyalgia symptoms a bit?

Anyway, itā€™s all damn annoying. I feel horrid a lot of the time and it seems there is no quick fix.

(Michael) #151

My mother is experiencing very similar symptoms. She was diagnosed with osteoarthritis two days ago, but we are not yet convinced that matches her case in terms of sudden pain onset everywhere. I am quite concerned for you both.

:scream:

I saw such things from multiple people but itā€™s still kind of shocking to meā€¦ Not like I couldnā€™t consume a lot of it if I triedā€¦ I donā€™t know how much that isā€¦ Wow, more than a whole bag of cream, I used to open one per week but shared with Alvaroā€¦ Of course some people can afford the extra fat, I canā€™t, even my level was too much back then. My meat got leaner since then but stopping eating much cream and sour cream did good too. I have the occasional day with 150g sour cream or 300g yogurt and no one wants to know the limits of my milk consumption, I tested and saw that a single liter is way too easy in 1-2 hours. I am more modest in my wildest times but cream is better and safer.

Yeah I went overboard sometimes and I measured out a little (like 50ml) and only used that for my zillion coffees during the dayā€¦ But then I started to use egg milk even when I had cream, I put a little cream into it and it was wonderfulā€¦ And I made whipped cream asap and it triggered Alvaro to make pudding and he used up some for it (very little. I could eat 10 times more cream for the same amount of pudding and I mean my pudding, not his, his are starchy so I would need a sea of whipped cream for the right ratio. or the tenth amount of pudding. or for no pudding. whipped cream alone or for coffee, that is enjoyable).

Mmmmā€¦ I have a single box (200g) of whipped cream now, lactose free :smiley: Expiration date is near but not near enough for me to open it, we have a liter of milk anyway. I will open either if Alvaro will be ready to consume a big part of them. Even if I actually could afford the fat now. But I like that my dairy consumption is so low and hopefully it will happen to my coffee againā€¦

Dinnertime came but I just donā€™t get hungry. In the last days my interest towards eating is non-existent. I eat when I get hungry, a bitā€¦ A few very dense bites if needed (the 2 sausages helped tremendously yesterday) but I really donā€™t feel much desire to eat. Very, very odd, itā€™s nothing like normal me. But itā€™s a nice change :slight_smile: I still can eat enough as I donā€™t feel any problem and my lower-cal days are very recent and I had a normal one yesterday. And today isnā€™t over yet.

Oh stupid canning but I had to. I totally forgot about frying my 70/30 meat. But I didnā€™t need it yet and itā€™s still a bit frosty so itā€™s fine to do tomorrow. Okay then :slight_smile: I really need some lard at this point and freshly fried fattier pork sounds so much better than some old boring leaner pork roastā€¦ I only ate a few bites and itā€™s not like I like chicken liver betterā€¦ But I donā€™t want sausages every day either. So I just eat little, my body doesnā€™t want its usual food now. But if I get really hungry, I will find a way as always, I have such a big variety now!

I forgot about running too but I actually did a little bit during my forest walk. It was such a nice weather, itā€™s still sleeveless top time if I do my walk around noonā€¦ Cold showers usually arenā€™t even challenging nowadays but it will be way more interesting as temperature drops, our winter cold water is probably around 5 Celsius (41 Fahrenheit)ā€¦ It was 19C/66F in summer, it wasnā€™t even cold enough to be refreshing sometimes. And I never liked cold water, I needed the hottest summer times to find the water outside nice (well, almost. in the middle of a long hot weather it was a bit higher than that but that happens only on a few days in the whole year).
But a shower is a bit different and it took a (surprisingly little) time to get used to it. And I use the proper order, first arms and legsā€¦
This will be my first late autumn and winter to do cold showers (at least partially, for my least sensitive parts but we donā€™t even have warm water now, very mildly lukewarm is the warmest I use. maybe it changes in winter, who knows at this point? Alvaro used warm water and then cold for some time last winter when he started) so itā€™s exciting! I like to try out new things even if itā€™s not very visible most of the time, I am a slave of my habits and queen of procrastination :frowning:

(Megan) #153

Itā€™s about 1 cup of cream

Oh yes I thought about that but forgot when I looked it up. I canā€™t buy heavy cream here so itā€™s more than a cup for me. We only have 30% fat cream and lower. Once I found 35% but only once in my whole lifeā€¦

(Karen) #155

@robintemplin I understand some people finding it hard to adjust to retirement, there are far too many guys at work who spent every spare time working because that was their life, where their friends were etc and then at a complete loss when they stop work. I have always been a busy kind of girl and looks as though I am going to continue to be busy in retirement.

@MeganNZ @Fangs I like Joyce Meyer because she is so down to earth and writes as she talks, even though I have only seen her on TV speaking to an audience and that was after I had read the first book and just started this, she was on TV a couple of night ago. I prefer reading her than listening to her though. My Daily Power book by Craig Groeschel gives me more. I find I really enjoy reading several books at the same time ā€¦ never thought I would ever start reading one let alone several lol. I am half way through Making Life Work by Bill Hybels which is guidance through the book of proverbs, The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon Who has Apergers. Part Novel part looking into how the Autistic Brain works. I donā€™t ordinarily like novels but got talked into this book by the lady in the 2nd hand bookshop, she said I really ought to read it as I had so enjoyed Why I Jump by a Japanese Autistic boy and she was sure I wouldnā€™t be disappointedā€¦ she was right, it is excellent. Also The Bible Chronical by Derek Williams, a big hardback written in the way of news bulletins, another great book!

Just as well I retired hahahašŸ¤£

Had a good day yesterday, started the day stair running and then went to afternoon tea dance with my friend from work. She only does sequence classes so this was her first social and she loved it. I hadnā€™t eaten beforehand so my first meal of the day was when I got home at 6pm. Fortunately I had the forethought to put the slow cooker on with 3 pork chops in it. They were very tender by the time I arrived home. I had a very small can of tuna to follow and added the yukky mayo and I ate a bit too much of the mayo and thi morning paid the price.

Dreadful night, up at 3am for half n hour and had the alarm set for 7am but ended up getting up at 6.40am. I had a funeral to attend this morning. I am guessing I had my ā€˜workā€™ mode head on :roll_eyes: Stair runs stopped after just 3 as my stomach was not happy and I just felt ā€˜not rightā€™. Picked Raymond up at 9.30am and off down to Lichfield to the crematorium. Lovely service and saw all our dancing friends from Lichfield Tea dance and was asked if I was going to the tea dance tomorrow because one of the single ladies canā€™t make it. So looks like I was given my orders to be there :rofl: Raymond is not able to dance till he gets over the ripped muscle in his groin but nothing to stop me going on my own :wink:

We decided not to go to the wake a couple of days back and that was just as well because Raymond managed to get an appt at the hospital tgis afternoon to scan his shoulder. We came back and got a lunch at our friendly cafe. Forgot to take a pic but I had a cheese omelette with 2 sausages on the side. It was nice and filled a hole. Got my meds from the pharmacy, a few bits from Sainsburys that were on my shopping list and made an annual review for long term condition ā€¦ my stroke/AF.

Dropped Raymond 9ff at the hospital and got home to go outside and read a little more since this morning and the cooked 2 beef burgers to eat while oven cooking chicken wings and they were lovely and crispy.

Now then @robintemplin ā€¦ am I ever going to get bored? hahahahā€‹:rofl::rofl: the lads are trying to organise a breakfast next Thursday for all us sick lame and useless folk hahaha well maybe just oldies but goldies :joy:

(Robin) #156

I agree. My days are still full. And fun!

(Vic) #157

2nd week of this working from home is done.

Going to Germany for the weekend with a few friends. Blow off some steam.

Just prepped 6 packs of vacuum sealed meat to take with me.

No need to worry about low-cal today, my 70/30 pork was quite nice freshly friedā€¦ I finished my planned leaner pork and liver too. I feel quite full at the moment. But maybe my 3rd tiny meal wasnā€™t needed. But itā€™s fresh fatty pork and I didnā€™t eat much today yet, how could I resistā€¦?

Guesstimation says protein is the usual I have lately, around 160g.
Meat is way below a pound but I had plenty of egg and dairy protein.
Meat will stay low for a while (except on rabbit stew days) as I have very fatty pork now, I obviously canā€™t afford a pound, that would be serious overeating. But I couldnā€™t eat that much anyway, at least I hope so. With this very fatty pork, probably OMAD would be the best but as I have no control over these things, we will see. If I canā€™t make it work with this meat, I will add back something leaner.

I think I forgot to salt it and just started to eatā€¦ And it was nice! It got better with salt and later I missed the salt anyway but the first bites were nice. Wow. I lost finding unsalted meat completely inedible years ago, my salt need in roasts dropped too but actually liking unsalted meat even if itā€™s not my preferenceā€¦? That was surprising. I even like more salt lately, it seems it passed. I didnā€™t even notice my last batch of sponge cake was unsalted, I noticed it before and started to add salt but I forgot last time. But thatā€™s eggs, egg has a decent amount of sodium in it, more than meat so I always handled it better than meat when unsalted.

Cold shower without using a towel afterwards. I even opened the window. Pretty normal so my appreciation towards Alvaro who is ā€œstrongā€ to do that lowered a bit :wink: But itā€™s probably way harder on him.

I will go out scantily clad first thing in the morning, at least this is the plan. Only 2x400m, to the hilltop and back, I even can run, I have ā€œsleep heatā€ in the morning too (no idea how common that is, never heard it from anyone and itā€™s completely foreign to Alvaro but itā€™s a very obvious thing in my life, itā€™s super hard for me to feel cold in the morning for a while) so it shouldnā€™t be a big deal - except that I am very slow at going out in the morning, I am a reluctant zombie then.

Sunshine on my skin. :sunny: Fresh air. Clean water. I can feel the energy for the day building.
Maybe through carnivore I have become a plant? A carnivorous plant human.

I think this image is from the stage play, ā€œLittle Shop of Horrorsā€.

(Robin) #160

Way to go!!!
Commitment!

I must say 2000g 70/30 pork seems quite small when fried/roastedā€¦ But it should be quite satiating :slight_smile: (If I eat it in one sitting, I imagine I could trigger overeating when spread just like pork shoulder.) This time I fried the fattier parts and roasted the rest. Yum. I try not to taste it when I am satiated, fortunately itā€™s not that very hard when I am home alone and itā€™s not even 2pm yetā€¦ But I am looking forward to it. I donā€™t even make sponge cakes. I have plenty of meat! (Apparently I am only bored of old, lean and a bit dry pork now. So my porky days continue :wink: )

And I didnā€™t think clear last night. A pound of fatty pork isnā€™t serious overeating in raw weight (as I normally talk about it), itā€™s probably a bit much though. But friedā€¦ The proper amount is so tiny! Even if I dropped my other food, it probably wouldnā€™t work. And no way I stop eating eggs and dairy, it just becomes little sometimes. But eggs add up too easily. I think I will make it a habit not to drink too many eggs a dayā€¦ And sponge cakes tend to disappear, grabbing some cheese and deli meat in the process but they are lovely with butter as well.
I baked a cake for Alvaro today and I had enough of cooking for a while. I was rusty and getting the right density of certain parts was challenging.
I already found making sponge cakes every second day a bit too tiresome anyway.
So I go for SIMPLE. Like fried/roasted meat with the occasional boiled or scrambled egg, that sounds just right. I can grab some dairy here and there too, that doesnā€™t require cookingā€¦

Weather is nice as forecasted.