Carnivore Rocktober - ZC Carnivore 31 day challenge October 2022

:rofl:

Meatza topping = cheese.

mmm, pate, bacon, prosciutto, prawnsā€¦

(Megan) #303

Wow they are common garden variety snails?? I always thought escargot were some fancy variety, possibly from the ocean. I have snails in my back yard! Hmmmmm :crazy_face:

(Megan) #304

These are meant to be amazing, Iā€™ll keep an eye out when Iā€™m hunting snails.

Huhu Grubs are the larvae of Huhu beetles, endemic to New Zealand and belong to one of the favorite traditional delicacies. Like a lot of other worms, the larvae look unpleasant at the first sight, but once you bite in, they are said to taste like buttery chicken and their consistency resembles peanut butter.

(Linda ) #305

Well you canā€™t start with a hollindaise sauce
Then add what ever you fancyā€¦ bacon, ham, chicken, shrimp cheese, Fetta cheese, sausage use it as a side dish or your mainā€¦you donā€™t have to use beef you can even make the base out of canned chicken or cooked chickenā€¦

(Vic) #306

Thnx. Nice article. But I donā€™t buy it. Its fishy.

I eat eat red meat, pork, chicken, fish etc all in equal amounts, depending on time of the year.

Why would any of it be better then the other ?

(Megan) #307

Hey Vic, why is it fishy? Granted the sample size of the folks tested was tiny, but Linda added some folks on KetoAF report the same findings as far as blood glucose spikes (many regularly measure their blood glucose).

(Vic) #308

Iā€™m just very sceptical when it comes to X-food is Bad

Its not real science, it doesnā€™t establish anything and certainly not Porc causes ā€¦anything.
Porc has always been the black sheep of the meatsā€¦

Articles like this made me this sceptical:

Red meat causes cancer
Eggs causes high colesterol
Fish are full of mercury and pcbā€™s
Chickens livers are toxic.

There are thousandā€™s like this.

All meats seem to be bad to someone and they always have a ton of text to support the claim.

There all wrong. unprocessed Meat is healthy, including the cheaper (porc, chicken) variety.

I still like the article and the opinions that go with it, it educational, but I donā€™t buy it.

Jm2c
Vic

Interesting. Well I surely feel pretty great after eating a pound of not even farm pork :slight_smile: My meat consumption is like 90% pork and it works well as long as I donā€™t add plants.
I like vinegar but if it would accompany my meat, I would almost completely stop eating meat and I canā€™t stand salted pork due to the insane amount of salt either.
So I keep my ways as I donā€™t even have any other options but maybe I read this article fully later, I just skimmed it now.

There must be some personal factor as we know some people have problems with pork while there is me, never any problem even if I seriously depend on it. November will be even more porky than any months this far I think as I just donā€™t desire eggs as much as in the past. But it may change back now, I canā€™t just eat meat and little else, at least I never could.

As far as I know, pork is the item that can be very very different depending how the animals were raised and fed, maybe it has nothing to do with this blood thing but it changes the amount of fatty acids in the meat and it can make a big difference. It seems I should be glad I live in Europe, itā€™s bad enough I eat simple supermarket pork most of the time. But my body doesnā€™t complain so it should be good enough for me.

(Edith) #310

We used to have pet chickens and would give them dried meal worms as a treat. I always thought they smelled tasty, so I tried them. They were not bad! I figured with a little oil and salt, they could be a popcorn replacement. I actually looked around to find some made for human consumption, but I could only find them in tiny quantities like in novelties or joke gifts. That was a few years ago. I should try looking for them again. :grinning:

@FrankoBear: Thanks for the info. Sounds bad to meā€¦ I wish you the best luck to get better due to your lifestyle!!! And whatever else you have as an ally, our thinking have power too.
Itā€™s so sad and stupid not to think about the effect of our diet on our health. Itā€™s very obviously a huge factor, it changes so many things!

:scream: You can say it againā€¦ (But as I think about, I have heard crazy things about NZ prices beforeā€¦)
Beef is somewhat expensive here, even the cheapest cuts but not nearly that level! I donā€™t care about mince but some nice super red thigh meat is, like, $10-$12/kg? More sinew-y meats are below a bit but I rather eat the nicer stuff if I decide on it next time. And one hypermarket has 50% sales.
But I can buy pork below $4/kg (not for long)ā€¦ And I prefer itā€¦ Turkey is even cheaper. I probably wonā€™t eat any ruminant in November.
I am so, so glad my body likes pork. I couldnā€™t do carnivore without it. I canā€™t spend more than $5 on food a day, itā€™s non-negotiable and actually I should fit into way less, itā€™s just kind of impossible. I have so much body fat thoughā€¦ Oh well, I give my best shot in November to reduce it and eat right, from every aspects. I am not good with compromises but I am pretty lucky here as my fav meat is pork and I wouldnā€™t eat ruminant every week if I could. Unless I changed.

Tinned tuna and especially salmon is very expensive here, I can buy beef for WAY less. Frozen salmon in the supermarket where itā€™s the least expensive, thatā€™s beef level too but a nice cheaper cut. Of course wild salmon is way more expensive but itā€™s about the same as the tinned, worse stuff if itā€™s frozen.
Thatā€™s why I whine a bit here sometimes regarding seafood. Itā€™s so very expensive - or meh (and still more expensive than my beloved pork, just much worse taste and satiation wise. not like I every tried to get satiated by fish but it doesnā€™t feel substantial).
I donā€™t even want much seafood, just a little here and there but the variety and prices and other things always persuade me not to choose them. I only have some salmon spread and tinned herring and mackerel (itā€™s usually expensive but I have found it cheaper last time, yay, I love mackerel. herring is okay but mackerel is tasty!) for emergencies.

But I will eat seafood at Christmas.

@JJFiddle: I didnā€™t write about it until now but I probably would consider just mentioning experiences of other people the right thing to do. She can do with the information whatever she wants but poor thing, if there is a sliver of chance that she will think about it and do some good changesā€¦ But itā€™s me without any other info, I donā€™t tell Alvaroā€™s Mom anything either as I very well know she definitely wonā€™t do any more changes. We obviously talked about our diets but she only was moved by the doctor and her fresh diabetes diagnose. She just ate sugar galore until then and itā€™s very, very obvious that itā€™s a bad thing to do. Well she keeps smoking tooā€¦

Cool! I would love to shock people and be special but I am a hermit :frowning: I couldnā€™t hide the info if it gets relevant anyway, I donā€™t have that kind of personality. Keto didnā€™t shock people, I know that. Being a vegetarian, well that was too much for some family membersā€¦
Carnivore is probably extreme for most people, too bad I canā€™t figure out how much. Maybe I ask Alvaroā€™s Momā€™s opinion next time. She isnā€™t aware of my woe as I go on and off all the time and I usually have an off day when I visit her. She noticed I go for meat and one chicken leg isnā€™t enough, thatā€™s nice.

But if carnivores hide their woe, wouldnā€™t it just make acceptance slower? Bold people unafraid by shocking people should spread the info that itā€™s a thing and helps people, at least. I understand not everyone does it, itā€™s very normal.

Good for you there.
Lamb is almost completely impossible to find here :frowning: The price is okay for a ruminant but finding itā€¦ And of course I should be fine with whatever cuts, itā€™s not like even the hypermarket keeps many different partsā€¦ But itā€™s fine.

I should visit butchers in the cityā€¦ It was ages ago I did such a thingā€¦ Maybe they have ruminants, they should have, right? Just because our local ones donā€™t have anyā€¦ Even Hungarians eat beef just not very much.

I really shouldnā€™t write about things I have written beforeā€¦ I just canā€™t resist. New month (almost), back to carni, it will be great! :smiley: At least for a while but then it will be challenging a bit and thatā€™s exciting too. I like meat better than ever, I can eat more of it than before, it shouldnā€™t be hard. A few years ago I did 2 weeks carnivore on salted pork and chicken liver (and eggs and dairy). Sometimes I was around 0.25 pound meat a dayā€¦ But I couldnā€™t handle much anywayā€¦ And those werenā€™t my fav meats (the farm pork was lovely but insanely salty and I never could eat processed meat galore. okay that would have been expensive anyway). I canā€™t even express how many times easier this November should be though the novelty is worn off since. I was pretty determined back then.

Itā€™s just horrible :frowning:

Actually, I could just go out and grab some escargots if I wanted to eat snails I supposeā€¦ Or are they arenā€™t smart enough to eat well despite all the lovely flora around here?
Hungarians never ate snails but people collected them galore for exportā€¦ I saw zillions in my life, they come out after rainā€¦
I still have problems with killing animals though, not the fact I make a kill but the movement, difficulty, well snails are pretty soft so itā€™s easy, I canā€™t imagine killing a bigger, harder animal where actual effort and some time is needed. I always run when there was chicken killing at my Grandma. I canā€™t even cut myself :smiley:
But if you tempt me for longer and someone tells me the most humane way to kill a snailā€¦ Not like I liked snail when I ate some but it wasnā€™t bad. It was meh. All for nutrition and reducing food costs!
(No, I donā€™t think I will eat snails any time soon. I want crickets though, everyone says they are tasty!)

By the way, one of the cats caught a weasel. Itā€™s new.

Yes, meal worms too. But especially crickets!!! That is the good stuff.
I want to taste it - and then I want them galore, itā€™s the talk since AGES, when mass production comes? People can be so very slow sometimes, not like I have any right to say thisā€¦ But still.

That one is new to me.

(Michael) #314

I tell anyone and everyone who asks, and even many who do not ask, that I am a proud carnivore. Most people already think I am weird, so this just confirms their suspicions.

As strict as makes you healthier.

right there with ya on all that statement but ā€˜we also know our scienceā€™ in full truth behind our 'crazy weirdo ways ā€™ in a way LOL So many suffer while we heal so? get it or not out there entire world population, right? hey canā€™t fix it all but we can fix us thru real science so I say fix us and show the way :slight_smile:

it is ALL about you but you gotta remember, coming INTO carnivore is drop all coffee if you ā€˜kinda wannaā€™ but we ALWAYS drop all sweeteners, n no sweet on carnivore point blankā€¦spices only if you do ok on them and they are truly a no sugar shake from that spice bottle you wanna try :slight_smile:

how bad ya are is how you come in ya know. You very bad go super strict. Meat/seafood/fish fowl only and then the dreaded dairy? you ok on dairy and does one know really how it effects you?

key being who you are and coming in means alot on how ya gotta roll.

I came in long term lc and into extreme lc dumping food, spice, drinks and all that and when I hit zc I found meā€¦but you might be one who can keep more spice and occasional dairy if you do fine so it is all about you but

KEY IS ELIMINATION MENU AND GO ALL IN then when ya add back if you think ya can you know real truths on your personal body.

So best way in unless you know yourself very well on food, all in, no coffee, no spice, no dairy, no sweeteners for sure and then you can add back to find your sweet spotā€¦we still never add back in sweeteners, that is no go on carnivore but the others are thru life menu choice you do well on in small fashion.

hope some of that helps!!!

HOLY COW

zc is the way to go to survive the inflation on food costs right now.
HAD TO hit store, out of ā€˜all the carby peopleā€™s wants in this homeā€™ and it was ASTROMICAL!!! Insanity. easily 50-60-% price hike on all ā€˜I buyā€™ fo what we need and all the other couple wks I shopped last had jumped another ANOTHER 50-60 cents easily on top of the 30-40% they went up already.

GOB SMACKED

Now I see point blank my eating trumps the other ā€˜crap processed carby life packaged for us and ā€˜ā€™ā€˜pay their transport costsā€™ā€™ and more to get crap food to you on the shelf.

I donā€™t know guys, just a frigginā€™ rant on it all truly. We are in peril of big big changes coming to entire economic issues globally now. Well I see it coming LOL but heck I canā€™t control it but I can control my little world and I will :slight_smile:

now this is not political chat or anything crazyā€¦just OW ON costs and done deal on how I am changing to manuever the cost increases ya knowā€¦weeeeā€¦game on! :rofl::ok_hand:

So itā€™s crazy there tooā€¦ By the way I have no idea about normal inflation in other countries but itā€™s probably tiny, usually? Folks still use cents :smiley: We only have the big one, forint and 5 is the tiniest coin and it worth about nothingā€¦ When I was a kid and prices were less than 1/100th of the current ones (I only remember a few items though), we still used below 1Ft coinsā€¦ The 20 fillĆ©r one had a hole in it :slight_smile:
But this year is strong, prices going up more than 100% isnā€™t unusual at all.
But high prices tend to inflate less so fancy stuff prices got way closer to cheapest item of that kind pricesā€¦ I have read articles that following some trendy woe is way cheaper compared to normal food. IDK how they calculated their prices though as keto food became something insanely expensive there (just like all the others), nothing what I do myself :D. Surely they added overpriced processed needless stuffā€¦ Whatever.
And we have those price caps too so chicken breast, the old super popular, quite expensive item is among the cheapest meats now.
I wonder what 2023 will bring but we better fill our fridge to the brim in Decemberā€¦ Prices always jump in the beginning of the year, quite significantly as Hungary has a high inflation rate all the time but NOW? With the price caps gone? It will be interesting.

This year was so crazy that I almost get seriously surprised when prices stay the same since the previous shoppingā€¦ Egg prices are at 85HUF now btw, our source I mean, the supermarkets have them over 100 and itā€™s for lower-quality eggs. 100 HUF per egg is $2.9 for a dozen. Pork is probably less costly considering it satiates me significantly moreā€¦

But normal people still waste a lot of money on unnecessary subpar items. Well they have money to spend, poor people surely donā€™t do that as just eating in some cheaper way requires the bigger part of their income (or not but they have some big other costs, it doesnā€™t matter in the end)ā€¦ Unlucky if they canā€™t choose well even then. But people are odd, the poorest often buys smoke and boozeā€¦ I never understood that, it makes less than zero sense for my inner hedonist self. I never was addicted enough to rewrite my common sense.

(Robin) #321

There are no carnivore police. Set your own rules and definition by what works for you. The title implies only animal based. But there are lots of variables depending on YOU and how you respond.

(Edith) #322

I actually tried crickets. I was at a restaurant in New York City and they had guacamole with crickets mixed in. We gave it a try. They had what I would call an earthy flavor. Maybe how I think dirt with some wet grass mixed in would taste. The good thing was that the crickets were chopped up. Iā€™m not sure I could have just eaten a cricket whole.