Carbquik?

Has anyone ever heard of this product and/use it/recommend it?
I’m finding some “keto” recipes with this ingredient listed, but it seems like it might be “cheating”
Thanks!
Carbquik Baking Mix, 3 lb. box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YVU6FY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MKADyb61E3SVW

Carbquik
Carbquick
(Dustin Cade) #2

When I first started keto, I was always looking for substitutes for all the things I missed… this passes

Simple foods become better.

(Christian Ross) #3

Yeah I would be interested to hear any comments on this product. It’s been around a long time. In general, I try to avoid ‘bread substitutes’. Low carb breads and low carb sweets can trigger cravings and some can raise blood sugar.

(Scott Shillady) #4

I find it overly processed, and would avoid it, I avoid many of the ingredients listed. i have made many similar things as the ones pictured on the box using real food ingredients such as almond, coconut flours, cheese, and eggs

(Derek I. Batting) #5

I’ve used it with moderate success. There are a hundred things you can use it for, but in all honesty, everything kind of comes out tasting like Bisquik biscuits. You can doctor it for pizza crust and bread and bagels and such by adding things to it (butter and herb for pizza crust, cinnamon for bagels or whatever…), but at the end of the day, if you REALLY need a bread sustitute, you’re probably better off spending your money on ingredients for any of the fabulous recipes out there (the SheCallsMeHobbit blog is a great source for such).

Not sure about the “processed” thing. All the ingredients look pretty straight forward to me. It’s ultimately your call what you eat, though, of course.

All things in moderation, mind. It’s easy to go crazy and wolf down a whole “keto pizza” but you still want to keep an eye on net carbs consumed.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

(Cheryl Meyers) #6

Make your own! In the bowels of the internet several years back, I found this old conversation:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=382964

… which leads to this recipe by the famous Kevinpa, a contributor to this Low Carb forum who died a few years ago:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=509138#post12017864

This is the original Atkins forum, I believe. Click the top left for the home page and more great stuff.

I have not tried making my own, just used Bob’s Low Carb mix, which contains some fava bean flour. and tastes like kinda beany to me.

(Derek I. Batting) #7

Duuuude… that’s a great find! All the way back from '05. Very nice. Thanks for sharing! :+1:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #8

Like others, I used it in my early days of low-carb. I didn’t use it often, because I just didn’t find that it gave me good results. Too expensive, too much processed crap, and didn’t taste good.

These days, there are many good recipes for real foods that are keto-friendly. No reason to use boxed baking products, IMO.

(Christian Ross) #9

Yeah, I find that when I stop looking for the ‘perfect bread substitute’ and just embrace what I should be eating, I have much more success. I stop worrying or focusing on what I can’t eat and start enjoying what I can.

(Chris Bair) #10

I use it to make biscuits when we go camping - paired with a sausage and heavy cream gravy it’s quite good. It can indeed be expensive though.

Today, my idea of a perfect sandwich is pork chops, topped with bacon and mayo, between two slices of buttered ribeye steak.

Seriously…I embrace the keto way of eating. My taste buds are happier this way.

Yeah, I can’t say it’s something I’m just dying to get my hands on at all.
I happened to see it in a random recipe and I thought… surely this forum would know something.
Thanks, everyone. :wink:

I was gluten-free before I was keto, so it’s a non-starter for me, but a lot of low-carb people seem to enjoy it. Probably worth trying at least once to see if it’s a good fit for your meals.

(Brad) #14

Personally I would say no, more from the ingredients stand point than the carb content.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #15

I haven’t had Carbquik since my initial Atkins days back in the late 90s, but unless they’ve dramatically improved it since then, I’d avoid it just because it tastes awful (IMO).

Much better results can be had with one or another of the recipes that use almond flour or coconut flour.

(ryancrawcour) #16

this is the problem I’ve been having with all these carb substitutes, flour alternatives, keto this and keto that … they all taste TERRIBLE!

(Andrew C) #17

I’ve used Carbquik in the past because I wanted a low-carb alternative to high-carb flours. I really liked it once I got used to the texture which is a bit coarser than regular white flour or Bisquik. Some people say that it has a bit of a bitter taste but I didn’t really notice it (although it had been a while since I’d eaten wheat products so YMMV.) It does have a different taste and texture than full-carb flour which you might not like. For example, don’t expect light fluffy biscuits; they’ll be more like a biscuit made with whole-wheat flour.

The downsides are that it’s a wheat-based product and it’s pretty expensive. I found that, once I removed it from my diet, I felt better so I think there was some gluten issues involved.