Can't sleep, freezing, cranky, weight gain

I started keto in March 2019 and I continued it until Aug 2019. My husband and I have 5 children and we were camping and trying to be good, and the normal camping foods pulled us back. I started back up again after Christmas, just to have my child in the hospital after new year’s, and was stuck with only carb foods. I started back up again Sept 1, 2020. At this point I have had moments of doing great. But I currently am at an all time low. I am frustrated because I gained weight, I am constantly exhausted due to not sleeping well, extremely freezing (My thermostat says it is 72 in my house but I feel like I am sitting in 10 feet of snow, super bundled up in front of a space heater and still freezing), and all of this is making me very cranky to the point of snapping at people and just crying. I am very close to just giving up forever and just continue to be fat.

Previous post that was closed
(Polly) #2

Welcome to this forum @Melissa420

Sorry you are suffering at the moment. Could you possibly have a hypothyroid condition? You might want to get it checked out.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Feeling cold is often a symptom of lack of protein. Try to get an amount in the range of 1.0-1.5 grams of protein per kilgram of lean body mass a day, more if you are trying to add muscle. And remember that most meats are usually around 25% protein, so to get 75 g of protein, you would need 300 g of meat. For the metrically challenged, Dr. Phinney advises that 7 g of protein per ounce of meat Is a good rule of thumb, so 10.7 ounces of meat would contain 75 g of protein.

Once you are sure you are getting enough protein, then you can supplement with enough fat to satisfy your hunger.

I do have hypothyroid, and it has been controlled with medication for 12 years.

(Bob M) #5

I’ve found it also to be not eating enough. If I fast too much or too quickly (too many days too close together), I get cold. I THINK it’s a sign basal metabolic rate is decreasing, but I have no way of testing that. I only know that if I eat more (so-called “feasting”) or fast less frequently, the cold goes away.

I eat more than enough protein. The problem is that I eat all keto friendly foods, enough protein, enough fat. I am always hungry regardless. I do not track what I eat anymore because I see no differences in tracking or not tracking.

(Polly) #7

That is what made me ask about hypothyroidism. Perhaps it is not as well controlled as you would like it to be at the moment.

lol I wish it had to do with fasting, but unfortunately I cannot even make it from meal to meal without starving, no matter what I do

I get my thyroid checked regularly. I have always been on the sleepy/cold side. Even in the summer. My Dr can’t figure it out either. But my numbers are within range

How do you eat? First I [personally would try to change my food choices. They matter a lot.

How do you know you eat enough protein and fat? My body is rarely pleased with adequate protein, for example, well it depends on the type of fat and my total calories, actually… And probably the type of protein matters too… Sometimes our body is pretty choosy and want some another keto style.
But I am sure keto isn’t for everyone. I just am sure that some people merely do it a bit wrong - maybe great for others but somehow wrong for them.
I don’t say it’s the case just maybe it is…? My original keto wasn’t nearly as bad for me as yours is for you but it wasn’t really good, I had to change my woe very much to see things improving.

The problem is that when there are 5 things possible to eat on keto, changing things is impossible. I feel like I eat the same things over and over again and get bored.

Previous post that was closed

I can substitute eggs for eggs basically

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

If you eat enough to satisfy your hunger, you might find yourself being more comfortable. What makes keto possible for me is not having to restrict calories, and being able to eat a wide range of foods I love (bacon, eggs, pork, beef, duck, goose, chicken, lamb, etc., all slathered in gravy and/or butter).

I eat enough to over satisfy my hunger, then problem is that I am starving an hour later

This is why I am feeling defeated. I am doing keto just as is should. Every suggestion is something that I have tried and had no success. That is why I am here. Before going on a carb fest and giving up

first off, HUGS to you and hope your child is doing well. I know with a sick kid you can get very out of balance and emotional very fast.

Then the stupid carby camp foods drew you back. I know. I been there. Old fun times with the family, we let our control down, we just wanna enjoy life on whatever terms and food is included in that :slight_smile: So yea I get this.

You are struggling big time now.

First put on more sweaters, raise up that heat in the house if ya can, move more, moving heats up the body, take a super hot shower to get the bones warmed and anything else you can do LOL

but thing is once you were there and doing well you got slapped back.
pushed back. smacked down. just all that you did gain in health benefits and that lifestyle change stability was lost to you…and now you are trying again and you don’t have that same mojo do you?

I know. It is super duper hard to get back to where you were. I struggled alot of times thru the years and finally it all fit into place but I walked a miserable walk alot of times also.

Best advice. Get ALL THE KETO foods you love and adore and eat the heck out of them at all times you need food. Never ever go hungry. ALLOW yourself this time to eat all you need to gain back control, to cut the carb cravings, to change your body again off that nasty sugar and just eat keto foods at every turn til you get that hunger satisfied, very important, you get your body now ketone adapting again and put your foot down and go for it. Give yourself that pep talk, one more time, all in and go for it.

Sending mojo vibes to you :slight_smile: and hope you do ok. Just take care of you, relax, surround yourself with keto foods and put this time and effort on you :slight_smile: Sometimes some self care is super important. When we get very low like this sometimes we have to know others are having troubles like you with their eating and others like me have walked that same path and we got thru it and so will you!!!

one step at a time, get all keto foods you love, buy alot and eat only those keto foods at all times you are hungry. Step 1 is just eat til you are super happy and full and eat only your on plan foods. You start right here, just think each meal I eat will be keto friendly and you got a very good start heading back into your eating change and holding on tight and with more time eating keto every day, the days tick by and you gain more and more control…but it all starts with that first step and day 1 of your plan :slight_smile: best of luck!

Vitamin D deficiency is behind the hypothyroidism.

Are you trying to lose weight or gain?

Thank you very much. The problem is that I am eating whenever I need to, hence gaining weight instead of losing. I have the keto-mojo meter and I am getting the best numbers I have ever gotten before. That is what I am not understanding. How can I be doing so much better, still be hungry, AND feel like crap all at the same time. In my home I am fortunate and not at the same time. My husband and I both are keto, and my 16 year old step son is partially keto (he says he is doing keto, but still eats carbs lol), and my 11 year old just eats keto dinner and makes his own carby meals during the day. On the weekends, my other 3 step children come over and they are not keto. We do very well even with them around. We have been every strong and mostly over the cravings. As I said, I have always been cold and tired, but this past week has been crazy abnormal. I would love to turn up the heat in the hours, but I live with 2 that are always hot. I am told that I can always add more, but they can’t remove anything else. So I sit here (working from home) wearing 3 sets of fleece clothes and a space heater while chattering my teeth. It’s really hard to continue when feeling like this.

I am overweight. Definitely trying to lose. I have had weight loss surgery as well and gained back most. My vitamin d levels are normal.

Growth hormone drives ketosis (youthful metabolism) regardless of what the coffee drinkers will say on here. So children don’t need to be on keto because their growth hormone levels are high from growing unless they’re obese. It’s best to avoid seed oils like the plague.

So the only way to be in ketosis without caffeine is to fast sufficiently daily but not over 24 hours. There’s a sweet spot between 20-24 hours. You’ll need to figure out what that is for you.

What you’re describing sounds like carb loving gut bacteria or even candida controlling you to eat.

Another issue could be a flickering monitor making you feel hungry. Do your eyes hurt when starring into the monitor?

Did you check your B12 levels?