Previous post that was closed

I posted earlier and I could not continue to comment because was I restricted due to being a new user. My mom has been a user for a while and showed me this post of hers where she brought up my situation. I am officially leaving this site because of all of the very hurtful comments made about me. My mother was not pushing keto on me like most of you assume. I was trying my best to get back on keto, and I was struggling, and she was TRYING TO HELP. I have tried many things over the years to help me lose weight and keep it off and everything has failed except keto. I feel healthiest on keto. I just need more variety. But people on here were extremely mean with the comments that were made. Not everyone has the luxury of snapping their fingers and things working out perfectly. Some of us actually struggle with things in life. That is the point of a forum like this. To try to get help from those that have had the same struggles. As of now, I am well aware that I am on my own, because people on here seem to think they are better than others and think they are gods because they are doing well. So I would like to add thank you for making my depression today much worse. Thank you for making me feel like the piece of pond scum that I already felt before coming here to look for help. So farewell

Edited to add that I cannot reply due to new user restrictions. The attached thread was what I am angry about. It is my mother’s thread where people replied basically saying that I should no longer live

(Bob M) #2

Not sure what happened in the previous thread, but did you actually come here or did your mother?

(Jackie ) #3

The thread was originally mine…I’m Mom. I was looking for other beginners on keto that are also picky eaters. She is an adult, she makes her own decisions and I was looking for support. She desperately needs it. I stopped reading comments a couple weeks ago because some were very hurtful. This forum is here to help. Experienced keto people are usually very good at that. I too am experienced. Right now she is suffering from the first hump from what I can figure…the lack of weight loss, some hunger and the “flu” including depression. Seems as though she also is going through “crabby carb” detox too. This time is the most critical in the process as it stops many from continuing keto.

Misunderstandings do occur on forums.

Keto isn’t really about only eating sub par 20 grams as many have you believe. Physical activity is required and sufficiently fasting daily is part of it unless you’re willing to drink caffeine.

Eat to live or live to eat. The choice is yours.

So sorry about about the hurt feelings. I did not participate in that thread but also feel people can be a bit direct here about how keto should work. It can be very difficult. For me, I couldn’t lose weight the way keto should work. I have to track calories, which the crowd here will tell you is the wrong thing. I feel hungry ALL THE TIME but everyone here says I shouldn’t if I am in ketosis (some days my net carbs are only 15). I could go on. Right now I am battling massive heartburn from trying to keep a 16 hour fast. I am overdoing the antacids. (I only get heartburn when my stomach is empty). Apparently heartburn is supposed to be better on keto. Well someone explain that to my heartburn so it will fall in line. So, all this to say, don’t let the “should work” override what will work for you.

(Polly) #6

This was @Melissa420’s post earlier today:

Several people tried to offer kind and helpful advice but were told by Melissa that she had tried it and it didn’t work. Having read the previous post that was closed I can understand better why Melissa’s responses in the post I have linked to were extremely defensive.

However, I do think that generally people have been trying to be helpful and supportive but there is only so much help you can offer when someone does not want to hear what you are saying.

I read the post that was closed and unless things have been deleted saw no evidence of anyone being mean to Melissa.

We have all struggled with health and being overweight or we would not be here. I don’t think anyone here feels or behaves like a superior being or god and the flavour I am getting is that Melissa is very unhappy with things and does not want to hear anything that does not chime with what she already thinks.

We are always here and support and advice is always available. If you choose to go it on your own, that is your choice and I wish you the very best of luck with your new keto journey.

(Bob M) #7

Megan Ramos (works with Dr. Fung) had a solution for that, but I can’t remember what it was. I can’t find it, either.

(Jackie ) #8

Son in law just got past this too…was on meds for it, wants to stop them so he did. I mentioned a cocktail of ACV/warm water in equal amounts…maybe shot glass size, 1/2 tsp organic honey, juice of half a lemon. Sounds awful I know. It works. Heartburn and acid reflux is caused by LOW stomach acid. You need to teach your body to make more. All these things have antioxidants, probiotics and healing properties.

I will be trying that first thing in the morning. It is very painful.

Thank you. I found it and apple cider vinegar was also a suggestion. So was lemon although, not together. I have been keto for 10 months now but only trying fasting the last month or so. Odd that it is just starting now.

(Bob M) #11

My wife gets it every time, so if this works, let me know.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

I’d like to make use of this opportunity to stress the importance of civil dialogue. There are ways of saying things that are accusatory, and there are ways of saying things that are gentle.

Moreover, when commenting on people’s individual situations, we need to be aware that situations can look very different when we learn more about them.

I have learned in other contexts that it is okay so state how things work for me and what my experience has been, but to advise others or to say “you should” is to tread on dangerous ground. It is often when I am surest that I know what other people are thinking and doing, that I am furthest off base.

(Allie) #13

Often yes, but not always. In my case it is excess acid which is why it now only happens to me during fasting and also why the often advised AVC actually causes heartburn for me.

Apparently the smell / thought of food when fasting can be enough to trigger the stomach to make more acid than it actually needs (due to there being no food to digest) which leads to an excess of acid and that’s the cause of the heartburn.

I never saw the ‘picky eater thread’. Interesting read.

I typed nice in Melissa’s thread offering some advice but I got confused up now with all that I am reading about her situation.

from the mom’s thread discussing Melissa420: (picky eater thread) She had the sleeve done about 4 years go and did very well. Her mindset was that she never wanted to be fat again. Well, she fell off the wagon and gained back a lot of the weight…she said she was hungry all the time so she turned back to comfort eating…and her addiction to carbs.

--------------see even this first post from the OP didn’t include alot of info. This is why my response was a bit off…from how the poster is chatting, saying she is eating only keto but in the end, I believe the gained weight is not from keto foods or holding the plan as it should be, it is being off plan and desperate to gain control back on plan.

I am bowing out. I am too confused on all of it. I don’t think the full truths about what is happening is being posted?? what I can decipher thru the posts has alot of different info going down thru some posts, so?? I don’t want to guess too much on what is happening so I walk and don’t want to throw advice on a situation I just don’t understand one bit thru all the posts about this, but best of luck is all I can offer at this point.

Carb addiction =/= obesity.

Seed oils are the cause of obesity. They disregulate the gut microbiome and the fats from oils are stored in adipose tissue because oils lack protein.

Carbs cause their own issues related to atherosclerosis but they don’t cause obesity.

That’s an opinion stated as fact. I’m inclined to agree, at least to an extent, but a blanket statement like that is just not warranted.

I can post references if you’d like?

I’ve been thin my whole life except when I experimented with seed oils for 2 weeks.

Excess carbs that can’t be handled are urinated out because cells are insulin resistant.

These statements are warranted because people need to hear the truth. Ketosis can’t be achieved by consuming seed oils because our bodies require vitamins, minerals and protein to process calories unless you’re cheating with caffeine.

Yes, references would be good!

(Jackie ) #19

Yes…I know. He called a few nights ago in so much pain, was trying to hold off taking one of those pills. Please do not worry about that small amount of honey…the healing properties far outweigh any negatives. It’s not forever that you do the cocktail anyway…this is just a suggestion for anyone that wants to try it…

(Jackie ) #20

I was trying to get some ideas to help her out with “picky eater keto foods” so did not include all the other things…sleeve etc. I’m the OP (mom)