Can't sleep, freezing, cranky, weight gain

oh I thought you were still eating junk off the keto plan. So you are eating ONLY keto plan foods, your numbers are good but you are gaining now?

sorry I misunderstood where you were at.

What are you eating and what macros and numbers and all are you gearing at?

It does seem like maybe some bloodwork or a Dr visit might be warranted? I mean if you are eating keto only and you truly haven’t changed anything, right? then something else has to be amiss I would think?

I was about to say the freezing thing is either you not eating enough or your metabolism slowing down, then read down and saw you’re hypothyroid. Makes perfect sense. You may (and probably are) temporarily screwing with your thyroid meds efficiency as all your hormones bounce around for a while as you’re adapting. I’d first make sure you’re eating enough, meaning by the numbers, not your apetite. Remember being hypothyroid means your metabolism is chemically screwed so you can’t trust how you “feel”. Easy test is eat your ass off for a 1-3 days and see if that goes away, if it does that’s your answer. If not see if your doc would let you up your meds temporarily. I don’t have HT but I took some levo for a a little while for the metabolic boost… WHOA! Good Stuff :grinning:

(Rebecca ) #23

Hi Melissa and welcome! I understand your frustration. What thyroid supplement do you take (if I may ask). Synthetic contains T4 only and many need the other hormones also (T3 T2 and T1). Natural Desicated Thyroid contains these. HOWEVER, there have been recalls on all of them (3 brands) due to inconsistent ingredients. I found this out the hard way…15 lb gain, swelling, exhaustion, hair loss, moodiness etc. My point being that you may not be getting the proper levels of medication that you need. Good luck!!

(Bob M) #24

This is supposedly true: keto will “mess with” your thyroid hormones, at least initially.

Fellow starving woman here. I have just come to the conclusion that I am someone that will not ever know what not hungry feels like. So, I have to track. This way, I know when to stop eating. I keep “breakfast” (trying to fast so, first meal) and lunch under 300 calories each, then try to not eat more than my husband at dinner.
I know that you said tracking doesn’t help you, and I thought the same for me until I graphed the info and looked for trends. I had a couple of months worth of personal data and I looked at EVERYTHING! I graphed weight loss versus net calories, total calories, weekly calorie totals, fiber, fat, total carbs, protein and probably more that I am forgetting at the moment. I thought i was going to go into my weight loss doctor and have to convince her that i needed fewer calories than standard recommendations. I was surprised that her recommendation was lower than my calculation. (My husband was seeing her and I was following along with plan that clearly stated “don’t count calories”) Turns out I am just a bottomless pit and need an app to tell me when I should have been full. I used Google sheets to analyze my data and can help you if you are interested.

Your poor unfortunate soul…
Did you try eating differently, elimination, whatever to find a woe where you can get satiated? I always tweaked my woe to find this as NO WAY I stay hungry ever. I like to think most people have such a woe, it just may take years to find as in my case… I go low with my carbs and eat as little added fat as I can (cream counts too but it has sugar anyway), try to focus on my known most satiating items and things seem to get better. If it’s too effective, I add back something.
I don’t know constant hunger but I know being really hungry for hours and it can be horrible. I have lots of data too, it’s useful to know how our body works, sadly it doesn’t always help alone.

Interesting ideas you presented. I never really considered an elimination diet for hunger control. I have done an elimination diet before (no beef allowed) but not sure where I would start with that now. Any links or resources you have would be appreciated.

Welcome to the club! People that don’t believe in tracking can’t imagine what that’s like. I’m good at both being never hungry AND being a bottomless pit! Worst of both. Without tracking I’m screwed!

Only time I’m not hungry is when I’m taking ephedrine. Zaps my appetite. Other than that once I start eating it’s a rodeo. My saying around the house is “I don’t eat until I’m full, I eat until I’m tired”. LOL

I never did a true elimination diet, true carnivores are best with that… But when I just ditched plants, that was eye opening (and my satiation problems disappeared, along with all food addictions. not my coffee addiction, sadly)! Some people need to eliminate dairy or eggs… I am better with very little or no lactose too but lactose free cheese is fine. One may eliminate one possible problematic item at a time… Very strict carnivore can be very useful if one can do it as it eliminates almost everything in one go and meat is rarely a problem (though the protein/fat intake may be not ideal first. I am not very sensitive to that but added fat just boost my calories and can’t satiate me… others have problem with liquid fat). But it may cause problems in the beginning so it takes a longer time to see if it really works for someone.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

Amazing how people can be so different, isn’t it? It’s not so much that I don’t believe in tracking, but that I have a real mental block about it, and not tracking worked for me—so it ought to work for all you lot, right? Opposite to you, if I had to track in order to do keto right, I’d be the one who was screwed. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It just goes to show that individual variation has a significant bearing on how we do our ketogenic diet. I know I can sometimes lose sight of that, so please don’t hesitate to smack me down as needed. :grin:

This is where the problems lie, I have been eating very strictly, keto foods for over a month. I am not tracking anymore, because my results were worse when tracking. I just think that it made things seem like more work than it was meant to be.

I have had bloodwork done. My numbers are all normal.

I have actually had the sleep problems for years and years, 23 to be exact. I used to sleep very long hours and not capable of being disturbed. Then I became a mom. I have always been on the cold side. It just seems that recently both of these took a turn for the worse and went off a cliff. Lack of adequate sleep make me cold, being cold makes me sleepy. Very bad cycle to be in. I am just exhausted all the time, fall asleep very easily, but wake up several times a night. 5 times last night. So I wake up feeling like multiple trains hit me. Stress affects my sleep, my lack of sleep causes stress.

Again, you were one of the very helpful posters on here. My other post was about the comments made on my mother’s post, not mine.

(Bob M) #32

I think you should eat mainly – or possibly – only beef. And I’m not being facetious. I think it’s the healthiest meat. Lowest in PUFAs, for instance. (Other ruminants, too, such as goats, lamb, sheep, bison, etc.)

(Niqi ) #33

Lol!

(KCKO, KCFO) #34

Then take a serious look at protein and fats. They stop the hunger when you’er at the correct levels for you. We are all different so no one can tell you exactly how much you need.

I’d also make sure electrolytes are good. That sometimes makes me hungry until I get enough magnesium and potassium. I am a non tracker, I just know what foods to eat now.

Why not give a sample days worth of what you eat to see if anything sticks out.

Thank you. I understand that tracking works for some. I have tried tracking versus not tracking. I do not notice any difference in the results of hunger, energy, or weight loss. So to me, the added stress of tracking made things worse. It made me feel obsessive. The problem that I have noticed regarding keto is that, even when staying very strict with keto foods, I lose the initial 15 pounds (I know it’s mainly water) and then I plateau. I stay the same for months, just fluctuating 5 pounds.

I actually started making the ketoaid that I found here and that is all I am currently drinking. I realized that is likely a BIG problem that I am having right now. Typically for “breakfast” usually around noon I eat 2-3 scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, dinner changes daily, but a common dinner around here is pork rind cutlets…thin sliced chicken cutlets, egged and “breaded” with pork rind crumbs. I eat a lot of broccoli pan sauteed in garlic butter. I’ve been trying to go longer between meals and not eat my typical 3 meals a day. I will have a fat bomb if I’m desperate, or just have some peanuts.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #37

20%20AM

Not many other than Amy Berger could write this and get away with it. @Melissa420 you may find Amy’s advice helpful. If so, great! If not, keep searching.

(Rebecca ) #38

All I can say is…WOW :exploding_head:!! Michael, I know you put this here for Melissa but I feel like it was meant for me!! You have no idea how much I needed to read/hear this!! It is long but I would recommend that anyone read it…it’s worth the time! Thank you Michael!

(Edith) #39

I know you said you are eating enough protein, but maybe not. I found that I did not find fat satiating. I had to increase protein intake to feel full and for that full feeling to last.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

The recommendation for 0.8 g of protein per kg of lean mass per day comes from a study in which the irreducible minimum loss of nitrogen needing to be replaced was, on average, the equivalent of 0.6 g/kg of protein. But the data points were all over the graph in the article. Some people lose more nitrogen than the average and therefore need more protein, some people lose less nitrogen than the average and therefore don’t need quite so much protein.

Not being able to sleep and feeling cold are classic symptoms of insufficient protein.