Can't get through Day 1!

(Julie) #1

Hi-
I can’t seem to get through a day on keto. I know it’s right for me! I have read a lot and listened to a lot of podcasts. I wake up everyday excited to start my new keto lifestyle. I have coffee, I skip breakfast, and then at some point at work I end up eating carbs and ruining the day. I know I need to be abstinent, I just don’t know how to be strong enough to get there.
Any tips, specifically, on how to resist the carbs in the beginning so I can get to the fat adapted benefits?
Thanks!

(Raj Seth) #2

Eat nothing but bacon and eggs and ribeyes for 2 weeks. hungry, eat more bacon. still hungry - eat more bacon.
dont hold back
dont count the bacon strips
(buy in bulk at Costco/Sams/BJs etc.)

guaranteed ketosis :+1::+1:

pardon - Did you say you are a Vegan? oh well sucks to be you! :joy:

(Julie) #3

Hahaha thanks! Nope, not a vegan! I’ve been eating bacon, but I guess not enough! I’ll try more tomorrow!

(TJ Borden) #4

Don’t skip breakfast either. Starting out, eat when you’re hungry, and eat fat. Skipping meals will come later

(Ashley) #5

I ate so many eggs and bacon when I first started, cook extra bacon take to work, eat bacon, hard boiled eggs to work, homemade mayo to work, eat and eat and eat! It works and after a few weeks cravings go way down.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

All this advice is good. My question is - do you normally skip breakfast, or is this something you think is Keto? You need to start with a satisfying breakfast. Bacon, eggs, sausage, - do you like avocado? I have that with my bacon. What do you like to eat that is Keto? You need in the beginning, to satisfy your hunger with keto foods. Or else you will crave carbs.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

Why skip breakfast? It’s too soon and you’re setting yourself up for the carb cravings. Start the da with plenty of fat to carry your through to your next meal.
Going 2MAD or OMAD should be a natural progression.

If food at work is tempting you, pack a lunch. Make it a HFLC meal comprised of foods you enjoy. One of my favorite dishes is a salmon or tuna steak topped with bacon-guacamole. Whatever you pick, eat enough so that you’re absolutely filled up. It’s easier to resist temptation when you’re stuffed. If your objective is to lose weight, this is a short term strategy. Many people cannot do all-you-eat even on a HFLC diet.

If temptation still calls after you’re adapted, a long-term solution is to find low carb alternatives to your favorite carb intensive meals. Cauliflower for rice, daikon for potatoes, spaghetti squash for pasta, etc. Filling full is important to me, so I load up on bulky low carb low calorie veggies. I can eat a pound of broccoli, or a head of cabbage, or a 16 oz bag of spinach, or a big bowl of brussel sprouts in a single meal.

(Lisa marie t) #9

I have keto then half hr or so breakfast AND I’m not a breakfast person.sometimes just 2 boiled eggs I’m good.
Then lunch. …dinner.
Do you drink your water?
It helps maybe to prepare lunches n dinner for yourself so ur not tempted by carbs.?
At 49 yrs old I decided I’m tired of being fat.of sabatoging myself…I have not craved any junk rice potato or even bread.
Hope u get going…just 1 day at a time

Just today I helped a friend of mine stock up on what she’ll need to start keto this weekend. I suggested we first come up with a list of 4-5 go-to keto snacks, some that can be prepared at home (one of hers was cream cheese rolled up in smoked salmon) and some that are easily packed to take to work (like hard-boiled eggs, or those little sealed packs of olives they have at Trader Joe’s, or the packaged snack bacon they have at Whole Foods now). Then the same for breakfast, lunch (at-home and packable) and dinner. Then we went shopping and stocked up her kitchen. Plan this way, it will really help. If you have keto food with you, it will be easier to resist the temptations at work and elsewhere.

Macadamia nuts are a great crutch against carb cravings.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #12

I started with a BPC every morning.
I see you already had coffee, have you tried BPC?
I’m beginning week 5 today and if I drink it at 8am, I can last until 3-4pm without eating. Dinner is now stretching further away in the evening also.

It’s simple and works well in getting you through the worst few weeks.

(GINA ) #13

Have plenty of low carb things you like around. Don’t try to skip meals yet.

I was used to having something sweet after just about every meal and it helped me not to fight it, just switch the sweet to some thing like sugar free Jello. It isn’t the greatest thing, but it gets me over the hump.

(Pete A) #14

It’s been said: don’t skip breakfast!

(Lisa marie t) #15

I would kill to be able to afford macadamia nuts I just can’t so I just get almonds or peanuts if I sold some paintings I’d do huge stock up on all kinda of nuts n cheese

(Stephen W) #16

My advise on this is don’t skip breakfast. Once you start in ketosis, you will automatically adjust your eating habits. For me, I forced breakfast at 1st and then did a light lunch. No sugars or enriched flour at all, ever. Now, 8 weeks in, I alternate breakfast and lunch, with plenty of keto snacks in between (which normally I only eat half (nuts, berries, cheese). Dinner is the big keto meal and a few almond butter balls for a desert. Body adjusted and now I have to force myself to eat much of the time, between breakfast and dinner.

(Kaz) #17

BPC? Sorry for my ignorance. Just trying to get on board, with abbreviations😊

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #18

Bullet Proof Coffee :slight_smile:

This should help - WIKI: Acronyms

(Kaz) #19

Thank you. Now all l have to do is learn to love coffee😊

(Natasha) #20

My advice… Don’t try to skip meals to begin with! Drink your coffee, eat some bacon and eggs (or something similar), have lunch, have dinner, drink lots of water, eat enough salt! Have 3 satisfying meals a day… breakfast, lunch and dinner, try not to snack, drink coffee with double cream. After a while you (will be fat adapted and) really will stop feeling so hungry and you will be able to drop meals easily! Good luck, you can do this!