Canned tuna - tip out the oil!

Canned tuna. In Australia, is a product of Thailand. Pole and line caught, which is a more sustainable harvest method than net fishing.

Previously ate it packaged in spring water. But keto WoE allows the fat, so bought it in oil.

Now I’m pretty sure the oil used to be olive oil. @richard used it as a protein source in self experimentation in 2017.

Now I read the ingredients it is an oil blend made up of mostly sunflower oil (~ 80%). But no information on the processing of that high omega 6 seed oil, whether it was pressed or chemically extracted from sunflower seeds.

The popular brand in Australia is Sirena, developed in Melbourne in 1956.

To be safe I reckon tip the oil out. Or, even better, buy the tuna in water and add the olive oil at home after draining the tin. At least in the canned tuna in water the meat has not been marinading in highly oxidisable, omega 6, polyunsaturated fats.

It’s autumn tuna melts season down here. This is important information.

(Alec) #2

I would always try to avoid anything with seed oil in it. Especially seed oil!

I was reading the labels of our local canned fish companies - few are safe, others use a blend of multiple seed oils, etc.

I take either in brine or rio mare with olive oil, these are the only options. If they contain other oils, I just won’t buy them and/or eat them.

(Allie) #4

Anything canned in oil is best avoided TBH.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

In one of Phinney’s lectures, someone asked why he bought tuna packed in water, and he said it was precisely to avoid the poor-quality oil.

Ahh! All becomes clear! :laughing:

(Maria Ortiz) #6

You’re lucky as the majority of canned tuna in the States contains “vegetable broth” so a lot more effort into finding tuna without that crap needs to be put in.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #7

StarKist Chunk Light in Water is what I eat when I eat canned tuna in the states.

(Windmill Tilter) #8

I’ve given up on tuna altogether what with the heavy metals and the absence of fat. I eat canned smoked herring now instead. The nice thing about herring and/or sardines is that they are an incredibly fatty fish, so they pack a ton of omega 3 fatty acids. I call it sea-bacon. My kids can’t get enough of the stuff.

I prefer bacon of the sea to chicken of the sea.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #9

what is the brand name? tks

(Windmill Tilter) #10

I get Polar brand smoked herring at Walmart for $2.22 for 6.7oz. With all canned fish, you have to be careful of country origin. Polar is a German brand, and the herring was sourced form the north Atlantic.

My favorite is Bar Harbor Smoked Herring with Cracked Pepper. I get it at my local Hannaford grocery store for $3.00 for 6.7 oz. It’s a Canadian import and the herring are from the Atlantic.

Brunswick is pretty good too.

When I open a can of smoked herring these days, my kids surround me like a flock of seagulls. Sometimes I have to open a second can! :smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #11

Nick thanks so much. I’m always looking for ways to add Omega 3 fish sources. #ftw

I checked the Brunswick sardines in oil and it is 100% olive oil. :grinning:

(Windmill Tilter) #13

Different product. I was talking about “Brunswick Seafood Snacks”. It’s just herring, salt, and it’s packed in water.

Don D’Agostino and Tim Ferriss eat Wild Planet sardines in olive oil and it seems Tim’s dog gets some benefit as well.

I got a little burned out on sardines a while back. Recently have taken a liking to these:

Contents: smoked herring and salt. :smiley:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #16

I eat these with added smoked salt and Texas Pete

(Ethan) #17

I’ve never seen vegetable broth as an ingredient. I buy tuna in water from Costco, MOMs, or Wegmans.

Cottonseed oil is another :face_vomiting: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: ingredient used in a lot of canned seafood.
Seriously, what idiot ever thought cottonseed oil was fit for human consumption???

I found Wild Planet tuna at Costco recently. The can says they don’t pack it in anything, so the liquid in the can is just natural juices from the fish. I really prefer tuna in olive oil, but the only brands that do that any more are $$$ Italian imports–and I have to go to the Italian specialty market to buy it.

(Troy) #20

If it’s something you enjoy
I do😄
I’m not sure about your local pricing, they go for 6/$9.99 here

Check your local Costco ads
They periodically go on sale, 6/$6.99
YMMV

Good Luck