Can I restart keto will it work?

(Cat) #1

Hey everyone, I would like some advice… I used to be very fat/keto adapted in 2012 to 2015 I was strict keto I started with a BMI of 45 to a BMI of 24 (I know BMI is crap however it gives an idea of what weight I was and went to)…so from 2015 till now I have slowly been putting weight on as I was on and off keto to where I’m now a BMI of >30! My question is I have tried to go back on to it without success and I have been told that once you miss the bandwagon then you can’t go back into ketosis… is this true? P.S I’m desperate now lol …TIA

(Louise ) #2

Firstly, good for you for getting back on the keto-train! I haven’t heard about ‘missing the boat’ that once you’re out of ketosis that you can never return (a bit like you’ve been locked out for good??) What it will mean of course is switching back on your fuel usage system (that is burning fat again, rather than glucose). Of course, this will take the requisite three or so days for the fuel switch (carb withdrawal) and then the process to being fully fat adapted. So, to answer your question, I wouldn’t think that your body would shut off the fuel usage system because you’ve used it once and changed back again.

(Cat) #3

Thank you Louise I hope so… I just wish I never stopped

(Mark) #4

I don’t know much or where you heard that,but I know that’s not right,you can do this at anytime,from what I’ve heard on ketodudes podcast and reading I’ve done ,and through my own experience,in the beginning,just avoid all carbs,you can bring in some green vegetables later,but just focus on healthy fats and moderate protein, people talk about Bacon because,number one it’s delicious but number two,its the perfect food to get you in to ketosis.Carl talked about how he had cooked up Bacon in the fridge and would just get some and put cream cheese on it for a snack,you can have nut butters and Avocado, lots of things and then after a few weeks your body will be fat adapted,and you probably won’t be as hungry so you will naturally eat less fat,but more importantly, your carb addiction will be gone,it takes different lengths of time to get fat adapted, so just be patient,in the first month to six weeks just get your body used to burning,fat for fuel instead of sugar for fuel,and you can get the fat from the food or from the fat on your body,then your appetite will change and cravings will be gone,that’s exactly what happened to me,now I’m down to one meal a day and do fasting because unbelievably I’m not hungry for several days in a row,it’s not magic,it’s just science,I wish you luck on your adventure

(Cat) #5

Thanks :bacon: I’m going to have to just really be strong I guess to get back on it

(Jules Swart) #6

That dates back to Adkins. He used the term “one golden shot” in at least one book. As someone who used Adkins years ago, pretty successfully, until I couldn’t look at another egg or piece of meat, and am now having great success on a much less restricted keto woe, I think maybe it was one golden shot for him to sell his books!

I cycle throughout the year as follows: 1 month keto, 1 month “slow carb” (google it) and 1 month low carb (less than 100 grams per day of carbs). I have not problem doing this - I do have a method of getting into ketosis that works very well for me: I start out with a 2-3 day fast and use C8 (Bulletproof Brain Octane to be precise) for 4-5 meals at the front end to ease in. Also, I am a moderate exerciser (tennis, yoga, running, group fitness high intensity intervals, etc.) and use Ketocana before working out fasted and found it really kicks up the energy/ketones. More to your point, I’ve never heard of not being able to get back into ketosis - I’ve actually just heard the opposite, which is once you are fat adapted, that you can switch more easily. If you choose to not go the fasting into ketosis route, consider looking very closely at your macros as that might be culprit. Good luck!

(Cat) #8

Thanks jules

(Svetla) #9

I just restarted Keto and it feels so much easier. I know what I’m doing now, so I didn’t experience Keto flu, fatigue or even a drop in athletic performance - lost like 10lbs of Christmas cookie weight in a week and got my first pull ups!

My experience is that it can definitely be smooth sailing as long as you don’t let your brain rationalize. My theory is that the reason it took me so long to get back is because my brain saw the instant gratification of snapping out of ketosis, which I happened to do with 5 sugary cocktails. I can’t lie - it was the best high of my life. My brain maybe got a little bit addicted and started rationalizing binging on fruit etc. after being fasted for a while. I kept up IF and mostly did Paleo but my cravings didn’t really subside and I think I got addicted to the fast/binge cycle.

I gained 20lbs since September(granted, mostly water weight and significant muscle, but quite a bit of fat)and even when I was determined to restart after New year’s, my brain was very quick to rationalize not to do it. So I ordered a pack of 80 blood ketone strips and committed to not stopping until I get through the pack. Blood ketones have been between 1.3 and 1.5 and I’m loving it. I’m starting to adapt to longer periods of fasting and find strategies to meal prep. Not a single processed/cheat ingredient ingested in 2017. No starch, no fruit, no sugar, no grain and I’m getting more and more excited about keto foods.
My advice: start by a pantry clean out and a shopping trip/meal prep. Cook some exciting keto foods. Eat a low carb meal. Fast for as long as you can and do a high intensity workout. Do a day of almost no carb keto and then fast again and do at least a moderate intensity. Add some walking and be patient.

(Human) #10

Is your slow carb phase as per Tim Ferris with the break days? That’s how I originally lost about 25kg but switched to Keto as I found the break day mentality was giving me a bit of an unhealthy relationship with food.

What are you having a problem with this go around? Humans are made to go between the metabolic states depending on food resources available.

Yes my slow carb phase is basically per Tim Ferris with a “cheat day” (also sometimes called “refueling”) but generally only every other week wilst in this phase. I try to time it with social events so as to not have awkward social instances. In my mind, I sometimes think I only have so much will power to expend and the cheat day is very helpful for long term perseverance. Also, as mentioned before, I do a 2-3 day fast every other week and that generally corresponds to the day after aforementioned “cheat day” - I like this pattern but keep in mind that I’m generally not binging on anything, just eating stuff I wouldn’t normally eat (e.g. pizza or some candy or french fries etc.). Food disorders are a real thing (binge, anorexia, bulimia, or orthorexia nervosa. I’ll define each of the these in a separate post momentarily.

(Cat) #13

I’m not sure… maybe it’s more of a mental thing… I know what to do but it just seems harder for some reason

(Cat) #14

Yea your right I think I just have to really focus

All I can suggest is get rid of the crappy carbage in your house. Stock up on amazing cheeses, bacon, heavy cream, your fav veggies and fav meats. Make some delicious fat bombs and eat them when cravings hit. Start carrying around “purse bacon” and snack on it when you need to. You can do this, but the first few days are rough when dealing with carb withdrawal.

(Meeping up the Science!) #16

If you need to restart keto, just make sure you let it warm up for ten minutes first…

Kidding aside, there’s no reason you “miss the bandwagon” or what have you. If you restart and are not successful, you must rule out other factors.

When I went off keto in the past, one time (many years ago) my eating habits were so bad I was eating bites of crap all day and didn’t notice. I now write down everything I eat, not to track mysterious calories, but to be conscious of what I consume.

It will absolutely work. Just don’t go on and off regularly.

(Larry Lustig) #17

That is nonsense.

Only the most super-rigorous eaters never slip out of ketosis. Both @carl and @richard have spoken on the 2KD podcast about falling out of ketosis. There are other folks who make it a practice of switching between ketotic and non-ketotic eating on a weekly, monthly, or annual basis.

And, if you think about the evolutionary speculation of human metabolic history you’ll remember that it’s thought that humans probably ate non-ketotically during those periods of the year when carbohydrates were available easily (basically, fruit season) and stored the excess body fat from those periods for leaner, ketotic periods throughout the year.

I suppose there may be some psychological factors working against restarting (if you feel that you stopped because it was “too hard”), but since you did it once you should know that you can do it again.

NOT TRUE! It seems to me, though, that between age and previously eating low-no carbs that it has taken a lot longer for weight loss to be evident this time in. I hope never to say that again, btw, no matter how baking bread makes me salivate!
That being said, the other benefits of energy, clarity, and happiness began within the first week!

Ok-I adjust what I previously posted because, yes, the mindset and transition was probably easier because I knew what I was getting into, what to expect, and what to do to ease the worst of the mental and physical transitions. However, I believe that even as I quickly fat-adapted, my hormones took longer to hop on the party train! Just don’t give up! It’ll come.
I’m in my 3rd month and finally seeing steady losses.

(trevor) #20

im just getting back into it after falling of the band wagon for a month, forgot how hard it is to start with. going to got back through the podcasts for inspiration. that ALLWAYS helps