Can anyone recommend a cow tongue recipe?

(Bob M) #1

Last time I was at my local farm buying cow heart, cow liver, chicken liver, all the cheap cuts, I also got some cow tongue. Can anyone recommend a recipe for it? I’m keto but not carnivore. I dabble in dairy too. I have every cooking instument (sous vide, instant pot,…) except a fryer (on my list but not bought).

(Stephanie ) #2

I love lengua!!! I usually season it with garlic, onion salt, and pepper. I place it in the crockpot with either water or some beef broth and let it cook all night and all day. Once done I shred it and serve with corn tortillas (not for me tho lol), onions, tomatoes, sour cream and cheese. Mmmm so delicious :grin:
You can also eat it like nachos with pork rinds.

Lengua sounds so much more delicious than tongue :smiley:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #4

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

http://sousvideresources.com/2017/04/03/sous-vide-buffalo-tongue/

(Ken) #6

I like to simmer it in a highly seasoned Court Bouillon. Sometime I use Herbs De Province. Simmer for a good two hours then let cool in the pot. It makes skinning easier. When it’s still warm, I like to put a little Sirache sauce on it and dip it in butter.

(Todd Allen) #7

I recently did a 48 hour sous vide cow tongue at 135F. It was very tender while retaining a very pink/rare taste. My wife, myself and our dog all liked it though it may not be right for those who like meat well done.

(Ronald Weaver) #8

Yecch !!! It’s been in someone else’s mouth !

(Laurie) #9

My Mexican ex used to make this. Cover with half spaghetti sauce, half barbecue sauce, bake in oven (uncovered I think). It was really good and not weird at all–guests thought it was just beef.

Of course as ketoers we might not want so much tomato, and the bbq sauce would have to be sweetened with something other than sugar. But that might give you an idea.

:rofl:

(Mike W.) #11

Yes! Just made my first one. So fing good. Sous vide 170/24+, then chopped and cooked in the bag sauce with some Mexican spices.

(Todd Allen) #12

I suggest you don’t eat chitterlings.

LOL!!!
Truth!!!

I never wanted to try tongue until this moment. This looks OMG delicious

(Bunny) #15

If you like red chili, skip the rice! Makes the meat taste much better, I eat tongue very frequently! My favorite!

(Ken) #16

If anyone gets the chance, buy a Bison tongue. It has even more flavor.

(Denise) #17

Tongue is best Korean BBQ style. Thinly sliced, salted and grilled quickly over coals

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Just cooked a tongue from the local farm stand store.

The Joy of Cooking has a very simple recipe:

Peel a couple of medium-sized onions, chop up some carrots (I omitted them this time, will try them next time), and take 6-8 whole peppercorns. Put them in a big pot. Heat water to a boil.

Meanwhile, scrub the tongue all over. When the water boils, put the tongue in the pot. The water should be enough to just cover the tongue. (Alternatively, you can put the onion, carrot, and pepper in an empty pot, add the tongue, and pour boiling water into the pot.)

When the water starts to boil again, turn the heat down low and simmer for 3 hours (2 hours, if it’s calf tongue).

When the tongue is tender, put it in cold water and remove the skin. (I found it easier to just pull the skin off than to try to cut it off.) The tongue should not get any cooler than is necessary to be able to handle it.

Put the tongue back into the pot to warm back up. If you want to serve it hot, remove it from the pot, slice it, and serve with mustard or other condiments. If you want to serve it cold, let it cool in the pot.

I found that my tongue was a bit more tender than I would have liked; I could probably have shortened the simmering time. The book mentions that the tongue peels easily when warm (that was my experience), but warns not to try to peel it cold. The tongue was so hot when I took it out of the pot, I had to peel it while immersed in the cold water. It was still too hot to handle when I took it out of the cold water and put it back in the pot.

It was delicious hot, with mustard, and I heated up the leftovers in the microwave. I got three substantial portions out of a 2.5 lb./1.14 kg tongue. The Joy of Cooking has additional recipes for tongue in aspic, pickled tongue, and corned tongue, for those who’d like to experiment.

(M) #19

I was looking at the nutritional info for tongue and I can’t find where it has nearly the amount of nutrients as other organ meats. But yet so many people love it. It makes me wonder if there is something in it they don’t know about. I wonder if this is the case with other foods as well.

(Michael) #20

Tongue :tongue: is 70% fat which is why it is delicious I expect. Fat is always the tasty part, as you are correct, not too great in vit and minerals.