Calories vs Keto

(Angelique Jury) #41

Thank you everyone for the great help and advise! U really hv all helped me a lot. I hope this journey is a positive one for me :blush::blush:

(Sharon A Peters) #42

Well, it should be immediately clear, so yes. You eat 10g of carbs or proteins, each of which have 4 kCal per gram, so you’ve just eaten 40 calories (90 in the case of fat - 9 kCal/g). When I began keto - and, having been a chef and cooking teacher, I’ve worked with not only the calorie issues but with weight, rather than volume measurements in the kitchen, especially in the baking and pastry kitchen - it still took me a bit to get my head wrapped around the new way of looking at and understanding calories. I took the statement that “calories don’t count” a face value, and I guess I embraced the ‘new’ concept of calculating and meeting - and managing - macros to fill the void left by tossing out the calorie concept (and yes, they still matter, but in a very different way - if you daily quaff a liter or two of olive oil on top of your macros, you will gain weight from that true excess of energy - but that’s another discussion). So when I hear folks who are new or newish to keto and who are hanging on through the important, but steep and long learning/understanding curve, it seems helpful to refocus them on the whys and wherefores of macros, the importance of food composition on the plate vs. counting plate calories, and to ease them away from the only point of reference most of us have ever had: the lordly calorie. But, if for some reason a person wants to know what their daily energy intake is in kCals, hey … all they have to do is multiply kCal per gram of the macronutrient times the grams of X food they have or will eat.

Keto involves a whole lot of rethinking and questioning everything we’ve learned about nutrition and metabolism. It’s just sorta like learning to write with your non-dominant hand: you can do it, but it takes some time and practice.

(Troy) #43

Cashews are “ ok”.
I personally no longer eat them

However, you’ve will get better macros ( lower net carbs ) and nutrients w pecans , macadamia nuts, perhaps walnuts or almonds

(Justin Jordan) #44

For some people.

I am perfectly capable of maintaining a 285 pound body eating zero carb for months. I know this because I did. I can easily consume several pounds of meat at a sitting, and did so.

Getting down to 235 took paying attention to my intake.

(Which I didn’t find onerous, but I know many do)

(Angelique Jury) #45

Thank you @theabroma
Lots of very helpful info and understanding there and yes…i did try yesterday and it puts a lot of the calories of each macro i eat into context. The fat obviously being highest calorie group… but that’s what we want right? :grin:

(Consensus is Politics) #46

Interesting. During that time, what was your eating habit? Did you keep your eating window as small as possible? Or were you eating more smaller meals spread out? Were you having any snacks or sweet drinks? And when?

(Consensus is Politics) #47

I have never heard that before. “Only liquid fats”:face_with_monocle:

I suppose as with all “diets” of which I do not include Keto as a diet. Strictly speaking the way you eat is your diet, but I refer to the term in pop speak. When someone says ‘dieting’. To me, that is always a set amount of time, usually until a certain goal is met. I think of Keto as not an ends to a mean, but as the mean itself. I eat in the Keto style, much as my wife eats in the Korean style. It’s a genre, not a temporal eating anomaly.

So I’m curious as to the context of being told liquid fats? Possibly someone pushing or evangelizing a Keto food template of someone’s design to market, and copyright, and trademark, and sell books, and then sue if someone else copies what they set up. It’s not unusual. There are companies out there that do this very type of thing with all sorts of products. There are people that make a living at, not kidding here, patent sitting. They look for a patent, acquire it. Sit on it and watch to see who violates it and sues them. There is a judge in Texas that likes to take these cases and helps them along. I’m pretty sure he in some how involved in the process. I get all kinds of BS alarms going off whenever I pick up on such things.

(Sharon A Peters) #48

It’s important that the fats you eat be quality fats - xv olive oil, butter from grass-fed cows, organic coconut oil, avocado oil, etc., and the fats from grass-fed and/or properly raised animals, and the fats from fatty wild-caught fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines, etc. I cannot imagine a vinaigrette dressing made from beef tallow - yuck! The point is to not go wild with fat because it packs a lot of energy and it is easy to overdo it. You do not have to max out your fat macros, but neither should you grossly undershoot it. The sweet spot is going to be particular to you and your keto goals. And as for fibrous carbs - some people count total carbs, but many, if not most, count net carbs (total carbs minus fiber carbs). Again, it depends on your own current sensitivity to carbs. And remember, your body can only do so much repair on any given day, so cutting back severely on fats will not make your body go into every-higher fat-burning overdrive, and overeating protein will not make your body build more and better tissues with the excess. Think of the macros as a baseline that you will need to adjust to, and once keto is established, you can begin to make tweaks to customize it to your current metabolic health. As you progress, it is a good idea to re-calculate macros based on weight, changes in activity level, etc.

(Dan Dan) #49

For you maybe but for me my body does fine on pig, beef and chicken fat :muscle::heart_eyes::bacon:

^^^THIS, this is the way to succeed at this WOE long term. If you need a calculator to eat, you’ve taken an awesome way of eating, and turned it into a diet. Only tweak I would make to the wording (for me) is eat based on percentages, I aim for 80/15/5 fat/protein/carbs I don’t care whether I go slightly over or under them, just keep somewhere around there and I’m fine. Fat is MUCH easier to get in than you think it is.

(Angelique Jury) #51

Honestly im finding ui going a bit over proteins and carbs. But it’s only been 1 week. I suppose ill learn as i go along.
I just wanna do this right. So badly wanna lose weight as nothung else seems to work.

(Angelique Jury) #52

Hi everyone.
Can i hv some opinions on my nutrition breakdown today please. Again… calories quite high but i think macros ok…? this is the idea right?

(Dan Dan) #53

Yes, that looks good I wouldn’t go any lower calories or you run the risk of going into starvation mode.

For a lot of people higher carbs work you might have to lower your carbs to 20g.

(Angelique Jury) #54

Ok great to know. Thank you @Dan_Dan :grin::grin:

(Dan Dan) #55

edited post above :grin:

(Liz ) #56

Personally, I might lose weight on those calories, but definitely not with those macros. My carbs have to be 20 net or fewer & probably my protein below 75g. But we are all experiments of 1!

(Lonnie Hedley) #57

I’d adjust your macros to 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fat. Calories are the least important. Most important is keeping carbs low. 20g net or less. Eating less carbs and more fat will allow you to be more full for longer and you’ll naturally bring your calories down as you adjust because you’ll be less hungry as your body adjusts.

(Angelique Jury) #58

Net carbs came to 34g.
Im really struggling to keep below 30g to be honest… and its not even that Im sneaking in carbs :joy::joy: It’s the salad and cream cheese and meat it seems.

(Lonnie Hedley) #59

What cream cheese do you eat? One serving of full fat is <1g carbs. Better question is what meat you’re eating with carbs? Lesser question is about the salads. What’s so high carb in these, croutons? If so, don’t eat those. Kale and spinach are both fairly low in carb.

Adjust your macros, take a deep breath, keep calm and keto on.

(Angelique Jury) #60

I’m having medium fat cream cheese and eating mostly tuna, chicken breast, boerewors, burger patties, steak and eggs for protein.
Salad veg = lettuce, cucumber, red onion, avo, green pepper, celery with mayo. No croutons or crumbs or anything.
Today my highest carb was almond flour and a cappuccino. (I realised after that that was prob a bad idea even though it was with cream)