Caffeine Before Fat Adapted, Y or N?

(Omar) #42

it cause jittering and depletes energy

listen second 35

(Jane) #43

You must be one of those who is very sensitive to caffeine and feel it impairs your judgement. You are wise to avoid it.

I’ve never gotten jittery and I drink it all day. I also quit drinking it during both of my pregnancies and I missed it but didn’t feel any different.

Coffee, Oxygen, Blood. In that order! I would never consider removing caffeine. Aside from the known health benefits I lift weights and it’s your best friend. Unless you verify that it’s affecting you negatively, then why give up such a beautiful thing?

(Allie) #45

I never have either, but choose to limit my intake because deep sleep is precious to me… :slight_smile:

Plus I really resent any substance having that sort of hold over me and caffeine detox is a bitch so I prefer to just avoid the addiction issue.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

I doubt caffeine is the source of the effect, because it is always mentioned in the context of coffee only, and never tea, which has just as much caffeine.

I couldn’t give up coffee or some sort of caffeine. I’ve already given up sugar and other carbs, I gotta have some sort of joy in my life, whether it has pathological control over me or not.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #48

Drink for thought:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

If drinking coffee were truly the key to fat-burning, Thomas Delauer would be wishing his abs looked as good as mine, lol! :grin:

I’m new to the forum, and I’ve read through this entire thread, but haven’t seen that anybody has answered your original question yet. Before I commented I wanted to drop in and check to see how you’re doing with this in the last 11 days?

(Troy) #51

No alcohol- check
No sugar- check
No carbs- check
No caffeine-…ummmm…awe…leaving now on my evening walk…to get my nightly black coffee🙂

I drink black coffee throughout the day
N=1
To each their own
What works for me, may not for you
And so on
Sigh😄

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #52

I’m afraid that’s because we don’t really know. Part of the problem is that, even if coffee is not a problem for most people, it could still be one in someone’s individual case. Also, I wasn’t entirely joking in my post at the beginning of the thread. You really do hear both that coffee interferes with weight loss, and that it promotes it. Although, come to think of it, I don’t recall seeing any studies supporting either assertion.

I’d imagine it would be difficult to control for that sort of variable. And as people have pointed out, why would coffee promote weight gain but not tea?

(Omar) #54

We blame the carb large processing firms when it comes to pseudoscience and corrupted researchers.

but we do not do that when it comes to coffee.

we will be naive if we exclude the corrupted research in industry that worth 100 billion dollars.The seventh largest agricultural product.

(Doug) #55

Caffeine is said to raise cortisol, no? I’m pretty sure this does have a bad effect on some people who want to lose weight.

That said, I’ve been steady with fasting and drinking a couple cups of coffee per day, and coffee as well with eating ketogenically - never have even remotely felt like it was messing me up in any way.

@PaulL After reading your comment and rereading mine, (whether I did or not) I can see where I might have insulted you, or anybody that has already posted for that matter. So, if that is the case, I genuinely apologize to all of you.

I commented the way I did in an attempt to bring the entire discussion back to the original post, but more importantly the original question that she asked. That is why I only put " if I am messing up the process of getting fat adapted" in bold; as a means to refer back to that question. She asked whether or not drinking the coffee in itself is messing with her fat adaptation. The answer to this question is no.

Coffee may have effects on some different than it does on others that is true, but for other reasons affecting other processes. The process of fat adaptation in itself is the body adapting to burn fat over what it is currently adapted to burn. And as we all know, that is glucose. Coffee is of no consequence for this particular process.

@BeStill
The way you worded your question implies that you’re not quite fat adapted yet. With only 5 weeks into your journey so far, I am guessing this is the case. In the beginning, negligible weight-loss is to be expected. Your body has not yet been fully trained on how to burn its fat most efficiently, especially as the main source of its fuel; but it will. I’m guessing that your crippling fatigue is part of the keto flu and your body’s withdrawal from glucose. So, just let it happen!

Recommendation: Eat more fat!
Try this for two weeks and see if you’re hungry in the morning on the 15th day.

1. Keto coffee in the morning, but cut it back to a 20 oz (two cups). Add 1 tablespoon of organic refined coconut oil (14g fat) per cup for a total of 28g of fat and add a dash of cinnamon if you like. (no cream necessary) For best results, have coconut oil in saucepan on stove heated to medium and ready to add 2 cups of freshly brewed coffee. I add 6 Spenda or 8 Truvia to mine and then pour it all in the blender on high (1 minute) for full incorporation so the fat doesn’t sit on top.
  2. Fatty lunch w/protein around 2:00 pm.
  3. Fatty dinner w/protein before 6-8 pm or at least 4 hours before bed.

Try to hit your daily macros with all that you eat, especially fat. Eating fat provides more of what your body needs to push along that adaption. Don’t worry so much about what the scale says. The scale is a moron :grin:
Weigh in the morning before eating on the first day but not again until the same time on the 15th day. But remember, it’s not about the weight-loss, it’s about burning fat for energy. Weight-loss is a byproduct and it WILL happen. So again, just let it happen. Be still :wink:

Keep Calm and Keto on!

I really appreciate all your feedback, I did not give up coffee for long, but after having what I thought was a strange reaction to caffeinated green tea (major calming effect and was VERY sleepy), I tried to do a little research. Apparently some people (like me) react to the L- theanine in this way and get an overwhelming calmness - which I now wonder if it’s directly related to cortisol levels. I have long suspected that mine is much too high on a regular basis and pray I will find a way to manage it. I now seem to only experience the crazy fatigue mid-cycle (ovulation sorry if TMI), which I also had pre-Keto, it is an exhausted-from-the-inside-out feeling and makes it hard to do normal tasks, I am hoping this improves with time on Keto and hormones getting sorted out! I think I will try again to reduce the amount of coffee I am drinking to your suggested 20 oz… I can easily drink so much more, but have noticed that smaller amounts come up as zero carbs on Carb Manager, yet the more ounces added it actually begins to have a carb count :persevere:

(Karim Wassef) #58

So… my n=1

It depends.

I measure my glucose and ketones so I can see what’s happening metabolically. I do this with food, fasting, exercise, etc…

My results were coffee were very dose dependent. Compared to no coffee, one cup substantially boosted my ketone ramp and reduced my glucose. This is my indication for accelerated fat adaptation.

Two cups was a little better than one but not by a lot. Three cups was no different from two.

Four cups flipped things around for me. Glucose shot up and ketones started to drop. I’ve since added theanine (from free tea) to reduce the edge but I haven’t measured that variable yet.

My conclusion is that there is a personal optimal level where coffee helps… and then it doesn’t.

The body also adapts so if you drink coffee every day, the effects wear off. I take a break on the weekends or at least one day a week.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #59

Not at all. I was just trying to clarify my original, jokey post. If I sounded put out, I wasn’t, just dead tired.

I honestly don’t believe that coffee had any affect in my case, because my coffee drinking hasn’t changed over two years, and I am sixty pounds lighter than I was. Of course I’d like to be sixty pounds lighter still, and perhaps that’s the fault of the coffee?

Of course, where coffee drinking and I are concerned, that saying about mugs and “cold, dead hands” comes to mind, lol! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This actually compels me to invest in a meter in the future, I think it’s awesome that you were able to figure out your personal tipping point!

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #61

Hmmm, that’s what I say about my motorcycle :sunglasses: