Caffeine Before Fat Adapted, Y or N?

(Karim Wassef) #21

Try taking theanine with your coffee.

Coffee in moderation helps my ketosis
Coffee in excess hurts it and raises my glucose (stress effect)
Theanin offsets the stress effects of coffee and enhances the benefits for me

That’s my n=1

Thanks so much, I will give it a try :hugs:

I am reading now that L-Theanine and Theanine naturally occur in tea like green tea, I wonder if that’s why some people that have issues with coffee are good with green tea? Thank you again so much for your post, I think this has been an additional vote for me to try tea for a while instead, seems like a win-win :blush:

(Allie) #24

Yes apparently this is true.

(Karim Wassef) #25

Green tea has many benefits, but it is less thermogenic (for me) than caffeine. I choose to marry both worlds by drinking coffee and taking Theanine as a calming supplement.

In my experience, once you’re keto and your insulin is under control, the next big obstacle is cortisol and stress. I’ve found that theanine and magnesium are really important for balancing mood and calmness. Anxiety is the real enemy.

I am generally stressed and am earnestly trying to find ways to manage it better, taking that supplement might be a good idea for me regardless of coffee intake lol.

(Sue) #27

I have over 75lbs to lose and I feel exactly like u do each time I see a gain in the scale - like I am losing days. I try to tell myself that short term + in weight is almost always water weight. As long as I am losing fat, it’s ok if it takes a few extra weeks. I know it is frustrating, I am nowhere near as calm as I must be sounding right now during the mornings when the scale serves up a disappointment!!!

I’m sorry you’re experiencing that too, I have tried to warn my husband to just steer clear if I weigh myself and weight is not down, I understand I need to work on my reactions to such disappointment but so far on Keto my negative emotional response seems so much worse, I think because I am putting so much effort into trying to do it right and haven’t cheated my brain just cannot fathom why the weight isn’t pouring off lol.

(Karim Wassef) #29

To put your mind at ease, I can fast for multiple weeks and see my weight go up in the second and third weeks for a few days… It is literally meaningless… KCKO

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #31

And I would never have bothered to discover all the good stuff about coffee AND caffeine. Yes, I know there are many who have adverse reactions and I sincerely wish they didn’t. But they do and I don’t. Life is not fair and we have to play the hand we’re dealt. :coffee: :blush:

(Omar) #32

yes

all addict say that :grin:

(Donna Peterkin) #33

I’d not heard that coffee was bad for keto…now I’m so confused? To bean or not to bean, that is the question.

I had my first rather delicious cup o’ green tea this morning and I do feel a bit more awake, was able to brew an entire coffee pot full with one little tea bag :tea:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #35

Insightful. Great way to end a discussion, “…you’re a Nazi”.

After a couple days, I can say that I am pretty sure my fatigue is directly hormone related AND unfortunately, green tea, while tasty is not going to cut it lol. I will try again after my hormones settle down :upside_down_face:

(Jane) #37

Caffeine addiction does not impare judgement.

Your analogy is ridiculous.

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #38

Neither do Foods, right?
Yet, here we are.

(Alex) #39

caffeine ALWAYS. anyone saying otherwise is probably half asleep and not thinking clearly :joy: on a serious note though, i drink a cup a day (and have been since i started keto) and haven’t noticed any negative effects from it. for me, it improves my work performance and makes it significantly easier / more enjoyable to get through the day. especially when combined with keto. n=1 though, so see how it affects you if you do choose to consume. according to thomas delauer, caffeine may promote fat burning, as well as the presence of ketone bodies :thinking:

(Allie) #40

He’s also a massive proponent of using caffeine as a tool at specific times rather than as a crutch.

(Jane) #41

I resemble that remark!!! :laughing:

[sips second cup of coffee]