Caffeine Before Fat Adapted, Y or N?

(Omar) #62

in the seventies of last century, a Japanese man was saying smoking is not bad. We in Japan have the highest smoking rate ( at the time ) and we have the longest life span.

another person asked him : How do you know if you did not have a high smoking rate in you will even have a longer life span in Japan.

:joy:

Naw, after reading a few of your posts I had sensed some dry humor like mine, so definitely not to me. I have a habit of self reflection set, so my brain tends to go there first.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #64

Well, now, that’s funny. People usually tell me I’m all wet!

(Scott) #65

No science but I don’t think caffeine will make a significant difference either way. Also keep in mind that fat adaption is different from person to person. If took me three months to become fat adapted. Another issue is how do you know when you are? For me I don’t think I would have ever known when if not for my morning runs. I was very tired and had to walk frequently. One day I was going up a hill and thought “hey, I have energy and feel no need to rest” That was when I assumed I became fat adapted. Not sure if I didn’t run I would have ever known. Just like 20g carbs will surely put you in ketosis several months of it will surely lead to fat adaption. Some of this is just faith or feelings unless you spend money on testing gear.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #66

I have a cheap breathalyzer I use to measure my exhaled acetone (BrAce). It may not show true ppm acetone levels and is not sensitive enough to show small changes less than 25 ppm or so. It does show whether I’m exhaling more, less or more or less the same over time. So it’s useful for that. I think measuring BrAce is more suited to determine the amount and efficiency of actual fat burn than measuring BOHB which tells you exactly nothing about how much and how efficiently you are burning fat.

That said. I finished my morning ~liter of caffeinated keto coffee a while ago. When I awoke earlier today I blew ‘5’ on my breathalyzer. Every hour since, 6 hours total, I have blown ‘5’. That period of time included before, during (about 45 minutes) and after consuming the coffee. I expect that my next hourly measure will still show ‘5’ (or possibly ‘6’) since today is repeating my experience of every morning.

Following is my keto coffee recipe. As you can see there is protein and fat, both short term MCT and longer term LCT. Not listed is 1 gram of my potassium, sodium, magnesium salt electrolyte mix which does not affect the macros and calculations. I would reasonably expect that the MCT would boost fat burn slightly in the short term (30-60 minutes) and the coconut oil, ghee and cream in the longer term (60-180 minutes), although my cheap breathalyzer is not sensitive enough to pick up small changes up/down in BrAce. I suspect that a more expensive device such as a Ketonix would do so.

Coconut Oil, USDA 19.00gr
Ghee Butter, USDA 03.60gr
BRC MCT Oil, Ref 10.00gr
Whipping Cream, Ref 26.00gr
ISOGold, Ref 06.70gr
AllMax ISO, Ref 06.70gr
Coffee Blend, Ref 32.80gr

Total macros: carbs 2.44gr; fat 45.69gr; protein 15.58gr.
Ratios: fat::protein grams 2.93; fat::protein cals 6.58

I have been drinking this daily for more than a year. Prior to that I was drinking a similar keto coffee mix with slightly lower macros and ratios. I have been in ketosis and burning fat continuously and have not had any adverse effects. Quite the opposite. This essentially is my daily ‘breakfast’. It starts my day and provides energy for hours.

Thank you for sharing this, I am feeling more inclined to move lately, maybe a good sign that adaptation is not too far off. I might try to do a gentle exercise daily as a measure of sorts going forward.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #68

Getting into ketosis is simple and can be done quickly if you water fast for a few days. Getting fat adapted takes much longer. However, a cheap breathalyzer, which can be purchased online for less than $20 delivered, provides a quick and painless method to determine whether or not you are actually burning fat, relatively speaking how much and how effeciently.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #69

I thought the urine sticks did the same thing, even more cheaply.

But surely excreted ketones are no measure of how much is actually produced and used, since by definition excreted ketones are unused?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #70

No. BrAce (breath acetone) is the product of burned fat. Urine ketones are just unused excreted ketones. Two very different things.

When the metabolism burns fat it produces energy, CO2 and acetone. We could measure the CO2 with appropriate apparatus which currently doesn’t exist(as far as I know). A cheap breathalyzer can measure exhaled acetone from which burned fat can be calculated directly.

(Jane) #71

This reminds me of when I moved to Wyoming after graduating from college in Texas. I was 118 lbs and in great shape but walking up the hill to catch the bus to the manufacturing plant left me gasping for air. I had moved from sea level to over 7000’ elevation.

After a month I realized I wasn’t even breathing hard. I’d adapted to the altitude. Finally.

(Jeramy Koval) #72

I’ve had success despite being a heavy coffee drinker. I can easily consume 40 - 64oz daily. But I have been drinking it for over 2 decades so the effect on my body may differ from someone else.

Best advice I can give is to drink good quality coffee from a quality roaster. The general rule is the darker the roast, the less caffeine there is in the bean. And be leary of flavored coffee beans as the additives can add hidden carbs.

During my journey I have lost over 100lbs and have kept it off for almost a decade. I cut out the cream and sweetener when I am really watching my macros but mostly enjoy black coffee now.

(Keto butts drive me nuts) #73

I think you need to experiment with different things. I drank coffee throughout the process. I couldn’t give it up. You got stay calm and do you boo.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #74

You should be aware that the very study you quoted to me upthread says that a great many factors influence the amount of acetone that reaches the breath. Since you are so insistent on the ability of breath meters to determine fat metabolism, I can only presume you must work for a company that sells such breath analyzers, since you are so aggressively wrong about the details of fatty acid metabolism. But if you are happy, then geyn gesundheyt. I’m done.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #75

I sell nothing and freely share whatever I discover with whomever wants to share it. The only detail of fatty acid metabolism I talk about is the generation of acetone from acetoacetate. If you won’t accept that acetone, just like CO2, is a byproduct of breakdown of acetoacetate (ie ‘fat burn’), OK, your choice. Maybe you’d like to cite something that refutes it.

Yes, current consumer technology is far from perfect and hopefully will improve. Yes, some acetone is diverted from exhalation and that introduces uncertainty to the measurement. Yes, sampling requires care to attain consistency. Still, it’s the best we’ve got at the moment. I think it’s a very useful tool. That’s all I’m saying.

(PJ) #76

This is hilarious! And a perfect example of the dilemma with all these things. :slight_smile: