But what if I want low fat cheese?

(Doug) #41

Most of the time in stores I see “Part Skim Mozzarella…” :rage:

C’mon, mang… (<~~ reference to a 35 year old movie there.)

(Laurie) #42

I think the reason is this: If you use full-fat cheese for pizza, the pizza will be very greasy, with fat floating on top, dripping off, etc.

I’m sure lots of ketoers will say this is not true or is not a problem, but they are selling mozza to “most people.”

(Allie) #43

Makes no difference. When I was a manager for Dominos they used two cheeses, one was supposedly lighter (low fat dairy is still a high fat food) with I think 30% less fat but the pizzas all came out the same.

(Laurie) #44

But did they ever use full-fat cheese?

(Allie) #45

Yes it was the most commonly used cheese. The light version was only used on customer request, most pizzas were the full fat cheese.

(Doug) #46

Laurie, I’ve seen cheese that when baked really “sweats” oil. I agree that a lot of people don’t want a “greasy” pizza, but I love it, nice crispy browned crust, and plenty of ‘juice.’ :smile: Messy but good-tasting.

Of the pizza places I know of, many use a mix of mozzarella and provolone (gives off a lot of oil), and a few add in a little of others like cheddar or colby. Italian-style like ‘Margherita’ often has a lot of mozzarella, some fontina, and a little feta and parmesan.

When I buy a ‘brick’ or ‘ball’ of mozzarella, though, just for eating, I don’t want to see that darn “part skim” thing. Even before I was concerned with keto or fat, specifically, I figured something was being lost in the effort to appeal to the ‘low-fat’ thing.

The elasticity of mozzarella makes it more easily blister and get brown spots, making for a more “done” looking pizza.

(Sg) #47

Thanks…actually I’m 5’ 4.5.

(Consensus is Politics) #48

When I make my bacon wrapped meat loaf, I use an entire 8oz block of Philly with 2 pounds of hamburger.

Oi! I know what I’m having tomorrow! If you haven’t seen @carl ‘s meatloaf recipe, it’s a must have. I made a modification to it. Instead of prok rinds, I use ground cha-cha-chia seeds instead. You don’t have to grind them, but as a powder they thicken it up better. Whole seeds need to be soaked a while first, and that means you are adding water to the recipe. It’s still good, just a bit weaker and falls apart. Not very loaf like.

It shows how big the problem is when we need to say things like “Full Fat” Cheddar and “Whole Milk” Mozzarella so people know you’re talking about the real thing!

(Running from stupidity) #50

Who doesn’t want this? WHO?

(Jane) #51

No kidding. Sad.

(Frank) #52

Cheese

(The o-chem police are coming) #53

Low fat cheese. Oh man. The real problem, assuming it is actually cheese and not processed… not cheese and doesn’t have added carbs is that, for me, I’m not fat limited on cheese, I’m protein limited. So low fat cheese will have a higher ratio of protein to fat. Thus I can eat less. Just for the sake of diversity I’m trying to limit my cheese. No problem, I just feel that I shouldn’t get most of my calories from milk fat most days. Just seems like a good idea and makes more time for avocados and almond butter (my true food love).

(Jane) #54

I make my own cheese from raw, unpasteurized goat’s milk and it is delicious. Low fat cheese is an abomination.

Yep. And egg white omelettes :rage:

(Raj Seth) #56

Am I the only one seeing this??

Sg - do NOT eat to deficit. Eat to satiety. Eat full fat cheese to satiety. Weight loss is not about calorie deficit, but about hormonal balance. Full fat cheese will satisfy you much better than low-fat anything.
Avoid anything that claims to be “low fat”, “heart healthy”, “whole grain”, has the stamp of approval of the “American (anything) Association” on it, etc.
Always read the labels, and after analyzing the ingredients, throw the package away :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Real whole food does not have nutrition labels. Except bacon, and hot dogs, and sausage, and … never mind.:grin:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #57

I’m sorry—could you say that in English, please? I don’t understand. :grin:

(Running from stupidity) #58

No, but it was pretty clear they were trolling.

(Raj Seth) #59

OK - I just read the damn thing and didn’t think about the trolling aspect. now that I think about it, the posts were kinda wacko

(The o-chem police are coming) #60

Nothing wrong with cheese, it’s just too convenient. Trying to keep a diverse diet.