Bulletproof "get some" ice cream

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #1

https://blog.bulletproof.com/get-some-ice-cream/

^^^^
Disclaimer - from asprey’s bulletproof site. Not my words. Ps. You don’t have to use all the fancy stuff to make this.

My words, below:

This stuff is GOOD. And guiltless for ketonians. I disregard the mct oil (I add more coconut oil), vinegar, vitamins etc. My version is mainly eggs, half and half mixture of kerrygold/coconut oil, swerve to taste, and extracts / additives to change up flavors. My favorite so far is cinnamon… added ground cinnamon to taste. It was like a creamy cinnamon roll. This stuff is super filling and am absolute craving killer for me. I have had ice cream for dinner a couple of times #notsorry

I don’t have an ice cream maker, I found an ice cream bowl/paddle attachment for my 25 year old Kitchenaid mixer. 20 minutes churning in the frozen bowl and ready to eat. Consume immediately for soft serve. Have to think ahead and let it sit out 15-20 min after it’s frozen.

Ice Cream
(AnnaLeeThal) #2

I really need to get myself an ice cream maker. I bought some Halo Top ice cream the other day, but it’s not as spectacular as some low carbers make it out to be, and it has some ingredients I’d rather not eat.

(Jacquie) #3

Janis, I’ve been curious about the Bulletproof LC ice cream. I like how you changed the recipe and I’ll definitely give it a try. I have an ice cream maker, so I’ll use it.

AnnaLee, regarding Halo Top ice cream… there’s no way I want those ingredients either (I think I know the ones you mean :wink: ), especially being pre-diabetic. Actually, Halo Top isn’t even available where I live in Canada. That’s probably a good thing.

So it did not split? When I have tried a high fat ice cream in a maker, it just goes nasty.

I’m going to move this to recipes so people can use it. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

(jketoscribe) #6

What’s the “xct” oil and do you use it or have a sub??? I’m don’t want to buy overpriced exotic ingredients.

(Larry Lustig) #7

I don’t mean to be a buzz-kill, but this appears to be the commercial blog of a company that markets nutritional products. Four of the items that are linked in the ingredients section lead back to “buy” pages on the company’s web site.

For all I know, the ice cream in the recipe is excellent and will accomplish the things suggested, if not promised in any legally binding fashion (hormone “boosting”, more and better sex), although I wouldn’t put money on the later. But caveat emptor.

(Larry Lustig) #8

To be clear, I’m referring to the material at the linked blog location. It sounds like @Janis_keto_beetch actually made the ice cream and did substitute some of the commercial products.

I don’t need the keto bread, the keto pasta, the keto rice, etc. I think I probably do need a keto-compatible form of ice cream.

(jketoscribe) #9

Yes, we all know Asprey’s site is selling his bulletproof branded products. I’m just curious if the op used whatever the mystery oil is or something else?

I like Peter Attia’s keto coffee ice cream recipe on his blog. It’s pretty good.

(Larry Lustig) #10

No worries.

I think we may actually attract quite a few people who only know about bullet proof coffee as a “thing” and don’t know about the existence of the company. At first, I thought that the OP was the author of the blog post. We’re still working out how we’re going to handle commercially related posts (possibly more liberally than on the Facebook group if we can figure out a way to let users know they’re commercial in nature).

Actually, reading the linked blogged post and knowing that it was written by Dave Asprey (or, really, any guy) made me find it a little creepy. The recipe is sort of presented as a date rape drug.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #12

@Daisy you process the egg yolks, soft kerrygold, coconut oil, etc in a food processor and it becomes this nice emulsion. You don’t make a cooked custard so if raw eggs make you skeevy then maybe don’t try this. I ain’t dead yet :blush:

@larry … did you see this part of my original post?
"My version is mainly eggs, half and half mixture of kerrygold/coconut oil, swerve to taste, and extracts / additives to change up flavors. "
I’m not a buyer of “product” or an Asprey disciple. You don’t need to be to make this. Besides Swerve, the stuff that’s in my “simple” modified recipe is standard keto fare. I think I use 1/4-1/2 cup Swerve for the entire recipe, which makes roughly a gazillion servings. :blush:

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #13

I think the “get some” thing was having to do with what it does to one’s own libido… my husband isn’t complaining, haha.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #14

“I’m just curious if the op used whatever the mystery oil is or something else?”

@janknitz nope, half kerrygold half coconut oil, plus sweetener, extracts/flavors like cinnamon - none of the vitamin or vinegar stuff mentioned.

no problem with raw eggs! esp if ice cream

(Larry Lustig) #16

I did, but on first read could not tell where the blog left off and the content began. All good now; thanks for posting this variation.

I’m going to add a couple of tags if only to make this easier for me to find when I finally work up the courage to try making ice cream.

(jketoscribe) #17

Thank you! That’s all I wanted to know. :yum:

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #18

@larry I can see this upon looking at it now. Yeah, the top paragraph with the graphic isn’t mine. I thought it would show up as a link.

(Larry Lustig) #19

It’s actually much clearer on my phone (using the mobile web site).

(Michael Iafrato ) #20

Just wondering what ingredients you don’t like in it? I eat it about once every 2 to 3 weeks as a treat.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #21

Me? I just don’t see the need to procure vitamin this and vinegar that and mct the other in order to make it and reap the benefits. I’d rather make it with what I have on hand that’s keto.